The Student Room Group

Hertfordshire, middlesex or greenwich for mathematics bsc?

Please take this thread seriously.
Reply 1
Original post by ForeverHopefully
Please take this thread seriously.

I am treating your thread very seriously ...
All three are abysmal ....
I certainly would not go to any of these to do maths but if someone held a gun to my head it would have to be Hertfordshire.
Original post by TeeEm
I certainly would not go to any of these to do maths but if someone held a gun to my head it would have to be Hertfordshire.

"280 UCAS points including an A Level in maths at grade C." = hertfordshire.

Most unis I know ask for Maths = A and some very good unis ask for Further maths A level as a requirement. Some even more prestigious universities ask for STEP.
Reply 3
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Most unis I know ask for Maths = A and some very good unis ask for Further maths A level as a requirement. Some even more prestigious universities ask for STEP.

you did better research than me, so I rest my case ....
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

wtf what type of university lets you study a mathematics degree with a grade C at A-Level? wow....
Beats me. :lol:
Original post by TeeEm

I agree completely with you. But I'm wondering whether the jobs prospects would be bad if you happened to get a first. Do you know? Furthermore, would the course be as difficult as say Durham or KCL?
OP there's honestly no point. Just do a gap year and apply somewhere else. But if i had to choose I'd say Greenwich.
How easy can you really make a mathematics degree? :holmes:
Reply 9
Based on a brief glimpse of each university's course website I'd say the best would be at Hertfordshire based on the fact that you get some options in 2nd year although it basically becomes a choice between stats or no stats. The 3rd year seems to have a greater range of options than the other two as well. Totally willing to be disproven though. Middlesex appear the only one who offer a MMath though which could be important to you though it sounds pretty dodgy from what their website describes.

Also, I understand that 280 ucas points is BCC at A-level? If so, disregard this next bit. The standard entry into year 1 of some decent Scottish universities is BBB so if you could get that then Heriot Watt, Strathclyde and Aberdeen could be options. I'm sure there's a few English universities with better courses around that grade range too so I'd encourage you to aim as high as you can in this situation.
Reply 10
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I agree completely with you. But I'm wondering whether the jobs prospects would be bad if you happened to get a first. Do you know? Furthermore, would the course be as difficult as say Durham or KCL?

To give you an indication of what the level of difficulty might be like in comparison to KCL (I currently study maths here), we have a student who needed to get a 1st in his first year at Kingston studying maths, in order to start his first year AGAIN at kings. He isn't doing too great and is struggling with the class tests we have, in which we have 2 every two weeks. Hope that helps.
Original post by Tiri
To give you an indication of what the level of difficulty might be like in comparison to KCL (I currently study maths here), we have a student who needed to get a 1st in his first year at Kingston studying maths, in order to start his first year AGAIN at kings. He isn't doing too great and is struggling with the class tests we have, in which we have 2 every two weeks. Hope that helps.

f you don't mind, what A levels did you do and the grades you recieved...?
Plus, did you hear of anyone getting into kcl to do maths through adjustment (2015)?

Thanks in advance.
OH, and thank you everyone else for your honest opinions.

Would you consider City UL good?
OH, and thank you everyone else for your honest opinions.

Would you consider City UL good?

You can always see what pops up in clearing. I think there could be a fair bit going this year with the maintenance loan finished.
Original post by skeptical_john
You can always see what pops up in clearing. I think there could be a fair bit going this year with the maintenance loan finished.

Do you mean grants being replaced with loans??
Abd why? I reall don't know much when it cones to student finance issues..:/
Do you mean grants being replaced with loans??
Abd why? I reall don't know much when it cones to student finance issues..:/

Sorry yes I meant grants!

Unis can now have as many students as they like (used to be limits) and so it's a lot more choice for students. I have no idea how likely math stuff is going to be in clearance (you can get some idea though of what's still available to apply for)
Plus does anyone have fp3 pdf file for android tablet???

Quick Reply

Latest