The Student Room Group

Can anyone provide help with OCR History A2: civil rights module?

The OCR history module I'm studying involves the three topics in large, all to do with civil rights:
1, african americans
2, other ethnic minorities namely Native Americans, Hispanics/Mexican Americans, Asian Americans
3, Labour rights

The problem I am facing is how broad the actual questions asked in the exam are. Does anybody, who has done the unit before or is doing it, have any THEMATIC notes on the above? I am desperately in search for it and could not be happier or ever more grateful if anybody has notes or knows sites with notes on the above. THANK YOU.
Reply 1
I'm doing this course. You should be able to find the notes themselves in your textbooks/school notes etc.

To make sure your essays are thematic, you need to identify the key themes in each topic, then fit your notes into this.

For example, for questions related to trade unions, our teachers suggested the following themes:

- TU Development and unity
- Relationship between employers/employees
- Ethinic groups
- Fed Gov/states and courts

(you'd need to do the same for each topic area)

Then within each theme, consider the development of the movement by splitting it into time periods:
1. Reconstruction 1965-77
2. Jim Crow 1877-1940
3. WWII -1965
4. 1965-80

Make sure you compare the development (or lack of it) between each period, this should help you cover the whole period 1865-1980

When you're revising/note-taking, you just need to make sure that you write the notes under the appropriate headings (such as the ones above), to help you consider the significance of each factor, rather than just describing the events. The books I'm using for notes aren't written thematically, but I'm making them thematic by structuring them in this way.

Hope this helps a bit!

Latest

Trending

Trending