The Student Room Group

Too late to apply for uni??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nubbers
what about the referee and references, can i submit an application without them???

No, you can't, and it's unlikely that you will be able to organise it in time for 6pm tonight. However, you can still submit an application after the deadline and for many courses it won't make any difference. For popular ones, you will be put on the bottom of the pile, but for others, you will have a decent chance. However, your posts don't suggest to me that you're really in the right frame of mind to go to university this year and you are just being swept along in the rush. You only get one shot at student finance, so my advice would be to put it off until you really know what you want to do and make a decent, well-considered job of applying.
Original post by nubbers
what about the referee and references, can i submit an application without them???

Sorry for the late reply. You do need a reference.
So, what happened? Get it all sorted? Deadline was like 30 mins ago right? :smile:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, you can't, and it's unlikely that you will be able to organise it in time for 6pm tonight. However, you can still submit an application after the deadline and for many courses it won't make any difference. For popular ones, you will be put on the bottom of the pile, but for others, you will have a decent chance. However, your posts don't suggest to me that you're really in the right frame of mind to go to university this year and you are just being swept along in the rush. You only get one shot at student finance, so my advice would be to put it off until you really know what you want to do and make a decent, well-considered job of applying.

Hi there, just hoping to ask you a quick question about the above in bold. What if a student completes 1 year of a degree on course X but then wants to re-apply to university for a completely different course. Can they still use student finance? Maybe student finance only covers 2 years this time and not the whole 3 years? Thanks.
Original post by bakedbeans247
Hi there, just hoping to ask you a quick question about the above in bold. What if a student completes 1 year of a degree on course X but then wants to re-apply to university for a completely different course. Can they still use student finance? Maybe student finance only covers 2 years this time and not the whole 3 years? Thanks.

The rule is that you are entitled to finance for the length of course plus one year, minus years taken. If you are doing a 3 year degree but decide after the first year that you want to do something else instead, then you are able to start an new course and have the full 3 years. If, however, you don't decide to leave until some time in the second year then you will have 3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years, not enough for the full degree. In addition, you can only get finance for your first degree. Any other BA degree would have to be financed by yourself, fees included.
The rule is that you are entitled to finance for the length of course plus one year, minus years taken. If you are doing a 3 year degree but decide after the first year that you want to do something else instead, then you are able to start an new course and have the full 3 years. If, however, you don't decide to leave until some time in the second year then you will have 3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years, not enough for the full degree. In addition, you can only get finance for your first degree. Any other BA degree would have to be financed by yourself, fees included.

Thank you! :smile:

Just to be sure, in the part in bold above, you're saying that after completing one degree you can't get financed for another brand new degree, right? But as you mentioned before that, if i were to leave a degree for another, i would be able to get financed but maybe not all 3 years depending on when i drop out.
Thank you! :smile:

Just to be sure, in the part in bold above, you're saying that after completing one degree you can't get financed for another brand new degree, right? But as you mentioned before that, if i were to leave a degree for another, i would be able to get financed but maybe not all 3 years depending on when i drop out.

That's correct. There are some complications with degrees which are funded by the NHS, but that's not my area and if that were an issue, you could ask in the Student Finance forum.
That's correct. There are some complications with degrees which are funded by the NHS, but that's not my area and if that were an issue, you could ask in the Student Finance forum.

Ah ok, well the courses i'm concerned with aren't funded by the nhs. Also i forgot to put that bit in bold in case you were wondering :P

Ah ok, well the courses i'm concerned with aren't funded by the nhs. Also i forgot to put that bit in bold in case you were wondering :P

I worked it out.:wink:
Reply 29
Original post by nubbers
Well aside from having crippling ptsd and anxiety attacks, which was sorta the reason im not on good terms with my school, the death of a relative was really hard on me...

When I did my first degree I was in a similar situation and would say honestly think about it.
Starting uni alone is difficult, especially if you're away from home and I would recommend really thinking hardly about it, especially as it's a last minute application. I wouldn't want anyone to end up in the same position.
But I do work in mh now and have lots of stuff on going to uni with mh issues if you ever want and I can put links up (once I find them!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending