The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
Agreed. The best way to teach tolerance is to expose children to all different cultures and people when they are young rather than segregating themselves off into their own religious groups so that they only mix with their own kind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mohammed Emwazi went to a C of E primary and a regular secondary school in St John's Wood...
Original post by ChancedTravels
For the vast, vast, vast majority, this is not the case.

I strongly doubt the accuracy of those adjectives. In any case, I don't think the feelings of religious groups are important enough to accept the actions of the supposedly tiny minority as inevitable.
Original post by Hydeman
I strongly doubt the accuracy of those adjectives. In any case, I don't think the feelings of religious groups are important enough to accept the actions of the supposedly tiny minority as inevitable.

Have you ever been to East London?

Yes, I have (although I've never lived there).
Original post by Bornblue
Agreed. The best way to teach tolerance is to expose children to all different cultures and people when they are young rather than segregating themselves off into their own religious groups so that they only mix with their own kind.Posted from TSR Mobile
You say that but most racist White people live in places like Leeds and Rotherham rather than actual White areas like Surrey and Bucks :teehee:

Original post by BaconandSauce
This should be a choice

this is clearly not the case here

I think I actually agree.

It's hard, due to the fact they are children their social circumstances mean that by not allowing them to learn English and study secular disciplines, that choice is effectively being made for them.

It's a **** hole, North and West and best.

According to the name it's an ultra-orthodox religious school. Israel has the same problems with such schools.
According to the reports, the school states that “as a matter of religious principle” it does not allow pupils to learn English, nor provide for any secular education

Bull****. There is no such religious principle.
Original post by SonOfTheGun
So long as they don't commit acts of terror or try to force Judaic law on other people, I really don't see why Hasidic Jews should be forced to partake in secular Western life.

Being religious isn't actually the problem, the problem is with certain religious people thinking it's ok to wage a religious war on the West, something Jewish people don't do.

Their children.
It's a **** hole, North and West and best.

That wasn't the point. The point is that the school is in North East London, and in an area of extremely high tolerance and acceptance of all faiths and ethnic backgrounds. The school in question is an issue, but this is not indicative of a wider problem in the community as a whole. Unless, of course, you count 'having a faith' as a problem - in which case you probably aren't very tolerant.
Original post by rockrunride
Their children.
That's why I reconsidered my thoughts after what BaconandSauce said. I do agree it's difficult to say they had a choice, if only one option was presented to them from the moment they were born.

I think I actually agree.

Thanks

Like you I have no issue with people making choices but it is important we give them all the tools they need to make an informed choice
Reply 51
You say that but most racist White people live in places like Leeds and Rotherham rather than actual White areas like Surrey and Bucks :teehee:

Pretty sure Rotherham is overwhelmingly White, also Leeds was 85% White in the 2011 census.
Don't forget lots of these Northern towns and cities are heavily segregated, so Whites often just live with and interact with other Whites.
It's time for Jews to make aliyah from colonialist, racist Britain which is clearly anti-semitic.
You see, it's only ever portrayed as being muslims who are like this. Not true.
Good. Not a fan of religious schools generally, but ones like this that teach insularity and that evolution isn't real and stuff are the worst.
I live near this area. It is a heavily, very Orthodox Jewish community, and most of the schools in Stamford Hill are Jewish schools. I don't see anything wrong with faith schools; these children will be taught the same religious teachings at home and throughout their community regardless. Most of their friends will be Jewish. Most of their fathers are employed in religious positions.
Going to a secular school would of course give them more opportunity to mix with children of other faiths and backgrounds, but this is North East London! There are literally people from every background here! No one looks twice at a hijab or a shtreimel. It's very hard to teach intolerance to children who, daily, see every creed and colour under the sun.

That said - of course operating an illegal school and refusing to teach any English is extreme. But that doesn't mean all faith schools are evil.

Imo there are certain areas of public life that should be secular - politics and schools especially
Last time I checked, Jews weren't indoctrinating their kids to go and wage war against a infidels. But then again, antisemitism seems to be cool.
Original post by hussamhussam
Very convenient that now they're starting to shut them down when we have an Islamophobic government who are making this move so down the line when they start shutting down Islamic centres they will say "oh look but we shut down a Jewish school as well!".

1 Jewish school shut so 100s of Muslim ones can follow.

I don't see a problem with this, do you? Religious schools in general seem to me to be a bad idea. You've got a captive audience whom you can indoctrinate, and the younger they are, the more malleable their minds are.
Original post by Aceadria
Last time I checked, Jews weren't indoctrinating their kids to go and wage war against a infidels. But then again, antisemitism seems to be cool.

They've had their time, with the Zealots, just like Christianity had the Crusades.
Original post by Mactotaur
They've had their time, with the Zealots, just like Christianity had the Crusades.

How does this relate to modern education?

Latest

Trending

Trending