The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Is southampton university a largely middle class institution?

Hi everyone, so I decided to defer my uni entry and I am starting university in September and currently on my gap year. I live in the north of the UK and will be studying in southampton despite the fact I haven't actually visited the uni due to the cost of travel. Has anyone who has visited the uni or perhaps even studying there at the moment tell me if it's seen as quite a 'posh' place to study. The university isn't mentioned a lot on the student room and as I have never actually visited I wanted a little bit of in sight. Also are there many northerners that study there? I understand it's very far from most northern cities which might put some people off. Thank you very much for any answers xx
Original post by ckitrom18
Hi everyone, so I decided to defer my uni entry and I am starting university in September and currently on my gap year. I live in the north of the UK and will be studying in southampton despite the fact I haven't actually visited the uni due to the cost of travel. Has anyone who has visited the uni or perhaps even studying there at the moment tell me if it's seen as quite a 'posh' place to study. The university isn't mentioned a lot on the student room and as I have never actually visited I wanted a little bit of in sight. Also are there many northerners that study there? I understand it's very far from most northern cities which might put some people off. Thank you very much for any answers xx

My sister went there and stayed on on Southampton after she graduated. I would say that there are some Northerners but why does that matter? I wouldn't say it's seen as 'posh' - mainly state school students I think.

I would urge you to visit - maybe get a coach which is cheaper than the train? if you are that worried about 'southerners' then it might be wise - we are not all posh!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by ckitrom18

I'm in my 4th year at Southampton, and I would say from the UK there are more Southerners here than Northerners purely because it is a long way from the North. However this shouldn't matter you meet lovely and not very nice people wherever you go and where they are from doesn't determine if a person is nice or not. You also get people from a variety of backgrounds and so I wouldn't class it as either posh or rough. It is a diverse univeristy, cheap to live, good nightlife and overall a good univeristy to study at :smile:
Any Russell Group is gonna have the same thing. Don't worry about it too much. Only if you worry about it will it start to impact you. No one else cares about your social background.

I am Northern and studying in the South, few of us down here, but what difference does that make?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending