The Student Room Group

History Interpretations Question- How to Get Full Marks?

I think this is the 2nd paper that we have to sit this summer and we were recently set a question on it.
Overall, I was told I made some excellent arguments and got an A but without any real mark to indicate the actual score I got. I was wondering whether anyone who is doing A level History or has done any history interpretation questions could give me any tips as to how to get full marks as I have been getting full marks or one mark off on the other types of questions and don't want to make any mistakes here. Are there any particular techniques or certain things I should cover? My topic is OCR Cold War in Asia but it doesn't matter if the advice is just general if you are not doing/ have not done the same topic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
I think this is the 2nd paper that we have to sit this summer and we were recently set a question on it.
Overall, I was told I made some excellent arguments and got an A but without any real mark to indicate the actual score I got. I was wondering whether anyone who is doing A level History or has done any history interpretation questions could give me any tips as to how to get full marks as I have been getting full marks or one mark off on the other types of questions and don't want to make any mistakes here. Are there any particular techniques or certain things I should cover? My topic is OCR Cold War in Asia but it doesn't matter if the advice is just general if you are not doing/ have not done the same topic.

I'd recommend looking over the mark schemes. It's rare in history to get full marks, as the marking is highly subjective, but a well developed, sophisticated argument/clear understanding of the sources is usually enough to put you up there. Again, look at the mark scheme for a paper and they're usually very explicit as to what will put you in the top bands.
Original post by thehistorybore
I'd recommend looking over the mark schemes. It's rare in history to get full marks, as the marking is highly subjective, but a well developed, sophisticated argument/clear understanding of the sources is usually enough to put you up there. Again, look at the mark scheme for a paper and they're usually very explicit as to what will put you in the top bands.

Okay, thank you. We have been looking at this in class and while the criteria for the top band seems clear and my essay has been given this, I do not know how to tell where I am in the top band. I suppose to get full marks or very close to full marks on this question I should fulfil these marking criteria as fully as stated in every paragraph then
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Okay, thank you. We have been looking at this in class and while the criteria for the top band seems clear and my essay has been given this, I do not know how to tell where I am in the top band. I suppose to get full marks or very close to full marks on this question I should fulfil these marking criteria as fully as stated in every paragraph then

Again, it's very difficult to be objective with marking in History; unlike maths, there's no right or wrong so it makes marking much more difficult. If you were to get full marks, you would need to be in the top band for every AO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending