The Student Room Group

Petition against withdrawal of maintenance grants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by goldenshades
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/109649

It's got 40,000+ signatures so far. Do you think Parliament will listen? What do you think drove them to scrap the grants in the first place? What are your thoughts on the government's decision to get rid of maintenance grants?

40,000 people with a large feeling of entitlement.

No one should be entitled to money and you shouldn't have working class people pay for other people's education for which they would not generally benefit.
Original post by enaayrah
Sure hope you're trolling

If only i was
Original post by HappyLifting
If only i was

Ok
Original post by Reue
They get the loan and get a job, just like everyone else has to.

What makes you think that those on grants don't/didn't work to make ends meet during uni?
Repayment of the loans is tied to your income after the degree. I don't see why you should get part of your money completely free on the basis of your parents' income before it.

It's quite rightly gone, and it's not coming back.
Reply 26
What makes you think that those on grants don't/didn't work to make ends meet during uni?

I didn't say that they don't. I answered the question of how those who previously received grants would continue to afford university.

£8000 is plenty for rent and food costs.
Original post by Reue
I didn't say that they don't. I answered the question of how those who previously received grants would continue to afford university.

Sorry, must have a been a miscommunication of tone. It seemed like you singled out poorer students by using the 'just like everyone else'
Do I think parliament will listen? No I do not. If students want to be heard loud and clear, they use their voting power. Create a voting pact, a lobby group per say that represents students needs and demands. The main parties in this country will not pay attention to student voters if they don't vote. That's how the system works. Also, if I am being honest, is anyone shocked the grant is going? This is what you get when you insist that everyone, even if they're not all that smart or academic, is to go to any darn university no matter how bad it is, goes to university. By the government guaranteeing student loans, the universities have precedent to demand for more and more money. This is why we need to go back to a free market system. Rip out the student loan system and force universities to compete on price. Some institutions will fail and go insolvent, that's good in my books because they were never strong enough to stand on their own anyway. Alongside this, we need increased investment by companies and government into apprenticeships, with ideally more of a shouldering by private companies so that their apprentices are a vested investment into the future of their company. I'm sorry liberals but I don't agree that we should just ship every kid off to university, it was never sustainable and the proof is in the employment statistics and financials as to how much of a failure this policy has been.
well if the tories actually removed all the loop holes for the corporation tax, and actually retrieve back all them millions of pounds from the companies which tax evade. There would be enough money for free university education for those who wants to study it.
Reply 31
Sorry, must have a been a miscommunication of tone. It seemed like you singled out poorer students by using the 'just like everyone else'

Completely the opposite, this change makes everyone the same.
Reply 32
I have to say I agree with Reue here. All my student buddies are just jumping onto the anti-maintenence grant cuts bandwagon without actually thinking it through
Original post by Reue
Completely the opposite, this change makes everyone the same.

Does it really?

Is it fair that I'll be in greater debt than many of my peers, even though I'll be studying exactly the same course as them at the same uni?
Reply 34
Does it really?

Is it fair that I'll be in greater debt than many of my peers, even though I'll be studying exactly the same course as them at the same uni?

Was it fair that many who weren't eligible for grants were in greater debt than many of their peers even though they were studying exactly the same course at the same uni?
Original post by Reue
Was it fair that many who weren't eligible for grants were in greater debt than many of their peers even though they were studying exactly the same course at the same uni?

So now your logic is 'since it was unfair on us then, let it be unfair on them now'?
Reply 36
So now your logic is 'since it was unfair on us then, let it be unfair on them now'?

Nope, the logic is to cut government costs.
Original post by Reue
Stop linking old news articles and actually answer the questions?
Are you not the one who asked me for sources? "Old news articles" . . . it came out 3 months ago and is completely relevant to your question lol.

The cuts may stop people attending uni seeing as:

. Tougher repayment conditions due to receiving higher loans
. To avoid receiving bad credit
. They will be in much more debt that they ever could've imagined just by attending uni
. There is less incentive for them to purposely put themselves in such debt, especially when there is no guarantee of a highly qualified job at the end of it
. Not able to get through higher education as easier as before
. Cuts are just another barrier for them to achieve better job prospects

Another thing . . . many people from poorer backgrounds go to uni in order to get a good job, hence they would be paying back to society the grants they received anyway. Grants = higher access to education for low income families
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38

Where has the "let it be unfair on them now" come from?
Original post by Reue
Nope, the logic is to cut government costs.

Cutting government costs under the guise of solving inequality only to create inequality on the other side of the coin.

Fair play to the Tories, really thought this out
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending