The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People get drunk, have sex, do drugs and throw up.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
fresher's week is from 17th September. There's generally a fresher's ball, the fresher's fair where you can go and sign up for all the societies and walk around and get a load of free stuff, then you have to go and register with the uni and your department and they'll generally organise talks and meetings with various different people within the department. Apart from that most people generally go out with their new flatmates and/or people off their course and get drunk!
Pretty much what they said, lol.

There's some introductory talks, information about timetables etc and enrolement classes put on by your faculty. There's fairs and stuff with lots of free stuff to grab at the union and other buildings. There's also a massive Freshers' Ball on the weekend, mine was crap but worth it to meet a few new people.
Reply 4
I've never been to any ball of sort, so...

What happens at the Fresher's ball? I mean, music, dance, booze, and nice clothes?
freshers ball is rubbish. it's called a ball, but it really isn't...it's just a big clubnight type thingy spread out across the SU building...expect some really **** tribute bands...in my freshers ball we had the red hot silly feckers, beyoncelicious and the dampness...

freshers week is basicially a chance to sign up to socieitys and get drunk...while it IS overrated, it's still an ace week...
Reply 6
but no-one says you have to get drunk, have sex, do drugs or throw up.

its a chance to get to know people, both from your course and your hall...but generally a few drinks does make that process easier! Dutch Courage!!

J
Reply 7
I take it that was in response to my post.
Reply 8
I know at Newcastle they take you paintballin and stuff, does that happen here too?
Mean Mr. Mustard
freshers ball is rubbish. it's called a ball, but it really isn't...it's just a big clubnight type thingy spread out across the SU building...expect some really **** tribute bands...in my freshers ball we had the red hot silly feckers, beyoncelicious and the dampness...

freshers week is basicially a chance to sign up to socieitys and get drunk...while it IS overrated, it's still an ace week...

Overrated? I hope not, my mates already at Uni told me it would be well cool? Though I suppose if they were too drunk to remember...
meh, it was allright i suppose...but i have had better nights out since then!
Mean Mr. Mustard
meh, it was allright i suppose...but i have had better nights out since then!

Oooh, controversial! :smile: I'd say Fresher's Week was amazing. Night out every day of the week, meeting lots of people...

Can I make a suggestion though? Don't get involved in a relationship halfway through. Worst decision I ever made...and the girl was obsessive-compulsive, so breaking up with her was well hard:s-smilie:
Reply 12
graemematt
Can I make a suggestion though? Don't get involved in a relationship halfway through. Worst decision I ever made...and the girl was obsessive-compulsive, so breaking up with her was well hard:s-smilie:

:rolleyes: :p:

:tee:
graemematt
Oooh, controversial! :smile: I'd say Fresher's Week was amazing. Night out every day of the week, meeting lots of people...

Freshers week itself was a great laugh (although still overrated slightly) went out every night, but I reckon the best parts of freshers week for me were when we were sat around in our flat getting to know each other...lots of laughs...

...but I was talking specifically about the fresher's ball...which was a bit pooey...
Reply 14
graemematt

I did that. Worst decision i've ever made too.
I take it people will be getting to know the city centre and the nightlife it has to offer also. Which it rules :biggrin:
Reply 16
It's a chance to settle into the new life in a different city.
You meet all your new friends in your halls and off your course, sign up for societies and sports clubs, get loads of free stuff..money off stuff!
People tend to get drunk alot..i was drunk within the first 8 hours of being at university! It's hilarious and amazing how you can make such a good rapport with people you have barely just met and go out with them and stuff...its just a really fun week..and you don't have any uni to go to...so you can just mess around, its great!
Reply 17
what goes on depends on what your hall and your course have sorted out for you.

I spent most of mine in my hall of residence bar, and crashing other halls parties on the Fallowfield Campus. (Oak House had free pizza, drinks, and various forms of inflatable fun for example, yet Owens Park gave us BOP :smile: and a safety talk about using cashpoints :confused:)
There IS a Freshers Fair that runs all week at the union, as well as a 'freshers ball' but I have no recollection of going to either of them...
...although I'm so sure I bought a ticket for the ball.

basically I'd recommend sticking a sign on your door if you're in catered so that anyone arriving knows there's someone in there (possibly with a picture of you so that when you HAVE met someone they remember where you live) and just getting to know everyone you come across.

The most important thing to do is to sort out all the admin stuff early.
You WILL have to queue for your library card, and the later you leave that the worse it will be.
Getting your uni computer user details is hell and you should sort your hornet connection early as well. If you value your use of the internet then you don't want to have to go a couple of weeks without it.
oh, and register for your modules and tutorials as soon as you can, or you'll be stuck with 9am tutorials and might not be able to take a module you want.

get all that done on the Monday, and take the rest of the week to help other people sort theirs (they'll love you forever) and get to know them.
Reply 18
Sounds like a good idea sarah, you have described exactly what i DIDN'T do at UEA in september lol.

Dunno about that picture thing....
Reply 19
Clarence, I think you should stick that avatar up on your door... would be ledge

And yoosh I'm gonna do what Sarah says... or at least I intend to :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending