The Student Room Group

Missed my uni exam....

I'm a first year at Uni of Notts and I missed my exam this morning because I overslept... What do I do? I'm going to fail this module (100% exam) so will have to resit in August and can't get higher than a pass!

Hypothetically speaking, if I could obtain a doctor's note and say I was ill and therefore had extenuating circumstances - I would be able to resit and get a higher mark. What would happen if I didn't give a reason and just continued? Someone help me please
Reply 1
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
I'm a first year at Uni of Notts and I missed my exam this morning because I overslept... What do I do? I'm going to fail this module (100% exam) so will have to resit in August and can't get higher than a pass!

Hypothetically speaking, if I could obtain a doctor's note and say I was ill and therefore had extenuating circumstances - I would be able to resit and get a higher mark. What would happen if I didn't give a reason and just continued? Someone help me please

You would need to speak to the uni as their policy will be different to other unis. You're unlikely to find a doctor who will say that you were ill if you see them after the event.
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever

First things first, you're not going to be able to get a doctors note to say that you were ill. Unless you are genuinely ill no doctor is going to write you a note to say that you were.

Secondly, why does it matter if all you can do with a resit is achieve a pass? Your first year does not count towards the rest of your degree. I know people who achieved a first on their degree after having barely achieved 40% in their first year. Study for the retake as you would a regular exam, make sure you know enough so that if you were being marked up to 100% you would be able to achieve a good mark, and move on. "Just passing" is only a problem if you only know enough to "just pass", if you know more than that but simply have a bad exam, or do what I personally did in first year which was figure out what the bare minimum I had to answer to achieve a pass was and stop as soon as I'd reached that, then it's not a problem at all.

Thirdly, at least you've learnt a valuable lesson.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending