The Student Room Group

Is Aston a semi-target?

Aston have one of the best business schools in the country/europe/world why are they not seen as such by employers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's just full of BTEC student though...
Original post by SlimShady96
Aston have one of the best business schools in the country/europe/world why are they not seen as such by employers?

Full on non-target. Haven't seen anyone in FO from there at all (either in real life or on LinkedIn).

It's decent for back office I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
unfortunately not, although i know a few grads in non-FO roles from Aston :smile:

either way, it's up to you to get the job you want, not your uni. sure it might help.. but its not the be-all and end-all
Reply 4
How comes Cass is a semi-target if Aston is regarded slightly higher?

Where are you getting "one of the best business schools in the country/europe/world" from? Aston does well in marketing, it's pretty poor in finance and accounting relative to other schools in the UK.
Reply 6
Original post by Kiltennel
Where are you getting "one of the best business schools in the country/europe/world" from? Aston does well in marketing, it's pretty poor in finance and accounting relative to other schools in the UK.

Employment is one of the best and various rankings in tables including the palmes league
Reply 7
Employment is one of the best and various rankings in tables including the palmes league

Post some links/sources
Reply 8

You are misinformed. Aston is not one of the best business schools, neither in Euope, nor the U.K.( though, you could say it is the second best one in the city of Birmingham)

No.

Which can be largely attributed to the year-long placement. Employment isn't a great metric to gauge prospects by if you're looking at top jobs (banking, consulting and law mostly). The simple reality is that banks don't target Aston students (other than DB's Birmingham office). It doesn't mean you wont be able to land interviews, you'll just have to work much harder at getting them.
Original post by Glenbard
You are misinformed. Aston is not one of the best business schools, neither in Euope, nor the U.K.( though, you could say it is the second best one in the city of Birmingham)

Sounds like a bias Birmingham student to me?
Original post by spoli21
Post some links/sources

http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/business-school-university-ranking-in-united-kingdom.html

http://uk.businessinsider.com/qs-rankings-of-best-business-schools-in-europe-2015-5?op=1

I've read that they are consistently ranked in the top 10 for employability for the last 20 years can't find the statistics though... but on unistats for my course that I have applied to it states 92% employed within 6 months and none actively seeking employment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kiltennel
Which can be largely attributed to the year-long placement. Employment isn't a great metric to gauge prospects by if you're looking at top jobs (banking, consulting and law mostly). The simple reality is that banks don't target Aston students (other than DB's Birmingham office). It doesn't mean you wont be able to land interviews, you'll just have to work much harder at getting them.

Surely the integrated placement year has allowed them to build many different connections with businesses over the years which reflects the employability rankings?
Reply 14
How comes Cass is a semi-target if Aston is regarded slightly higher?

Aston isn't regarded higher...
I live in Birmingham. All the wannabes go there. Just because it has a high employment rate does not mean its better. Does not mean people who go to Aston get the good jobs. Yes everyone gets employed but most of them people are doing crap jobs. People who go to Cass might be unemployed for a while as they are looking for top jobs.
Original post by whydoidothis?
I live in Birmingham. All the wannabes go there. Just because it has a high employment rate does not mean its better. Does not mean people who go to Aston get the good jobs. Yes everyone gets employed but most of them people are doing crap jobs. People who go to Cass might be unemployed for a while as they are looking for top jobs.

What exactly do you mean by 'wannabes' and 'crap jobs' ?
What exactly do you mean by 'wannabes' and 'crap jobs' ?

Half the people I know want to stay in brum. All the ones who are going to Aston are the people who could not get into Warwick or Birmingham. I have heard 'if I cant get into Birmingham I will just go aston' a billion times. Basically the AAA and above students all go to Warwick or move away from home.

As for crap jobs, I know someone who has a first in law from Aston, been a store manager for 2 years now. My mates brother loved Aston but told my mate not to go there, he did biomed and could not get post grad/undergrad medicine. Now doing research earning 22k. He got his job pretty quickly though, that's the only decent thing.
could not get post grad/undergrad medicine.

To be honest, entry into post graduate study or medicine doesn't take into account the university someone went to. They could have just been a chit applicant.
Half the people I know want to stay in brum. All the ones who are going to Aston are the people who could not get into Warwick or Birmingham. I have heard 'if I cant get into Birmingham I will just go aston' a billion times. Basically the AAA and above students all go to Warwick or move away from home.

As for crap jobs, I know someone who has a first in law from Aston, been a store manager for 2 years now. My mates brother loved Aston but told my mate not to go there, he did biomed and could not get post grad/undergrad medicine. Now doing research earning 22k. He got his job pretty quickly though, that's the only decent thing.

I see, but from what I know they are not known for law or biomed but the business school, so unfortunately what you said isn't relevant to me. Also, I've heard that generally yes Birmingham is better than Aston and you should go there instead...unless it is a business related course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending