The Student Room Group

New edexcel alevel history - Democracies in Change

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hogree
The worst thing I get is when Im cut for time and not sure about my final judgement so I have to bluff my way through the essay before I realize what judgement I actually come to. In one of my practise papers, I wrote to a "reasonable extent" in the opening paragraph before actually writing in the conclusion that it was to a limited extent and forgot to edit my intro haha. The essay writing is a bit of a pain, I love the course though! Do you have any plans for revising the Britain and USA topics? You gonna use different methods for the different modules?

Oh yes! I hate when that happens...My history teacher [for Britain] said that if we don't have a good enough judgement set out in the introduction, then it basically doesn't 'weave' throughout our whole essay, therefore not getting the 'sustained' part marks! He's making me rewrite one of two paragraphs of one of my essay question we've done in the past, so hopefully, it might help! I have two teachers, and my USA one always gets annoyed at me because I never expand on my judgements...like one on how far WW2 changed society, I put a 'small shift' and I got EXPAND next to it...oops! I always seem to be getting 13/20 with him aah...
At the moment for revision I just seem to be condensing my revision onto flashcards (or whatever they are called) for USA mainly, but I've begun doing the same. For some reason for the mocks in Jan, I did mindmaps for Britain but I might do the same method for USA, as they're a lot easier or I might do a combination of both, I'll see how it goes!! My teachers recommend making a list of all of the exam questions that could come up [I have some to an extent I could share with people?] and then plan around that question!! But yeah...I seem to have just had a ramble but :')
Reply 21
Original post by Unwrittenstars
Oh yes! I hate when that happens...My history teacher [for Britain] said that if we don't have a good enough judgement set out in the introduction, then it basically doesn't 'weave' throughout our whole essay, therefore not getting the 'sustained' part marks! He's making me rewrite one of two paragraphs of one of my essay question we've done in the past, so hopefully, it might help! I have two teachers, and my USA one always gets annoyed at me because I never expand on my judgements...like one on how far WW2 changed society, I put a 'small shift' and I got EXPAND next to it...oops! I always seem to be getting 13/20 with him aah...
At the moment for revision I just seem to be condensing my revision onto flashcards (or whatever they are called) for USA mainly, but I've begun doing the same. For some reason for the mocks in Jan, I did mindmaps for Britain but I might do the same method for USA, as they're a lot easier or I might do a combination of both, I'll see how it goes!! My teachers recommend making a list of all of the exam questions that could come up [I have some to an extent I could share with people?] and then plan around that question!! But yeah...I seem to have just had a ramble but :')

Great idea, that last one, yeah ive tried to write up some potential questions for the US module, have you got any for Britain? And mind showing me an example of introductions to your essays? Only if you have time, Ta.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by hogree
Great idea, that last one, yeah ive tried to write up some potential questions for the US module, have you got any for Britain? And mind showing me an example of introductions to your essays? Only if you have time, Ta.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've made a document with all the exam questions for the Britain exam, including the SAMs paper and Specimen paper so if you guys want it then just email me and I'll reply with the doc
[email protected]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by aj2152
I've made a document with all the exam questions for the Britain exam, including the SAMs paper and Specimen paper so if you guys want it then just email me and I'll reply with the doc
[email protected]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hero
Reply 24
Really struggle to get essays done during holidays... just can't seem to crack on with them. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so glad that I have found this... I have wrote up my Britain notes but am struggling for America can someone help me please?
Original post by hogree
Really struggle to get essays done during holidays... just can't seem to crack on with them. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best thing to do is cut any part time job down to minimal hours. I made a huge mistake during mocks mocks of signing up to loads of overtime! & then making a revision plan. You don't need to do toneees. I'm aiming to do 2-3 hours a day currently. I like remaking notes on everything and then mindmaps. I also make factual tests. I get small A5 cards and write questions to test my own knowledge, facts, figures etc and write answers on the back and then play them as a game. Works really well if you have people in your history class to do them with. For example a question could be What years were Eisenhower's presidency? Or How many months did the Montgomery Bus Boycott last for? And I write the answers on the back. I try to do this for as many details as possible and find I start to pick them up! I've found my essays have gone from C to A grade since I started including detail, specific figures etc.

Also, quick question! Has anyone elses teachers told them you need to discuss all 4 themes if they're relevant in the question? Some people seem to split it and ONLY talk about theme 1 in the question? Or theme 2 etc etc

For example if the question were about increase in car ownership you wouldn't just discuss theme 4 but bring in economic factors from theme 1 and bits from each theme as it makes your answer wider?

I've been told thats what we need to do and since I've been doing that my grades have become A's.

Anyone else been told this as some people seem really confused about it?
Original post by lewistodd24
I'm so glad that I have found this... I have wrote up my Britain notes but am struggling for America can someone help me please?

I've got the first chunk for America done I can send you and some sample essays and sample source questions at B and A grades. Also got a rubbish example to show you so you know what not to do!!

Is this for the later USA dates or early?
Original post by ellefrancessa
I've got the first chunk for America done I can send you and some sample essays and sample source questions at B and A grades. Also got a rubbish example to show you so you know what not to do!!

Is this for the later USA dates or early?

Its for the earlier usa dates and thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellefrancessa

Also, quick question! Has anyone elses teachers told them you need to discuss all 4 themes if they're relevant in the question? Some people seem to split it and ONLY talk about theme 1 in the question? Or theme 2 etc etc

For example if the question were about increase in car ownership you wouldn't just discuss theme 4 but bring in economic factors from theme 1 and bits from each theme as it makes your answer wider?

I've been told thats what we need to do and since I've been doing that my grades have become A's.

Anyone else been told this as some people seem really confused about it?

My teacher's told us to discuss anything from any of the four themes, as long as it's relevant to the question/time period and can be backed up:')
Reply 30
My teacher's told us to discuss anything from any of the four themes, as long as it's relevant to the question/time period and can be backed up:')

Yeahh I agree with this but also at the same time I think that a good majority of the essay should be from the theme the question is directly related too for example if it was asking about NHS then majority of your strongest details should be from Theme 2 and bring in other points from other themes as well if if it links together and is relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Would anyone mind PM'ing me or emailing me at [email protected] an answer to the Section C Thatcher Question? I've got the example in the book, but would really appreciate seeing someone else writing an answer to it. Or any tips on how to structure the argument? Easter Homework getting a bit late...
Reply 32
Original post by hogree
Would anyone mind PM'ing me or emailing me at [email protected] an answer to the Section C Thatcher Question? I've got the example in the book, but would really appreciate seeing someone else writing an answer to it. Or any tips on how to structure the argument? Easter Homework getting a bit late...

What question is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by aj2152
What question is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The one I'm answering is from Page 122 in the Edexcel Textbook. But I don't really mind whether its specifically this one, or just any other Section C Questions. I just want to see how you would structure the argument.
Reply 34
Original post by hogree
The one I'm answering is from Page 122 in the Edexcel Textbook. But I don't really mind whether its specifically this one, or just any other Section C Questions. I just want to see how you would structure the argument.

Yeahh I've got that for homework so I'm doing that one today as well, I'll give it a try then send it. If you've already started it then send me what you have incase I can use any of it to make mine better too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How far is everyone through Thatcher? We've literally had two lessons on it because of the way the timetable was at the end of term...so we've basically done the economy bit and then we've had whether the state was rolled back for homework this holiday? Just wondering aha...
Reply 36
How far is everyone through Thatcher? We've literally had two lessons on it because of the way the timetable was at the end of term...so we've basically done the economy bit and then we've had whether the state was rolled back for homework this holiday? Just wondering aha...

Still got to do a fair chunk. Just started answering the Section c Questions. Just starting to get to grips with it.

What structure do you guys take in your answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Still got to do a fair chunk. Just started answering the Section c Questions. Just starting to get to grips with it.

What structure do you guys take in your answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We haven't even learn't about how to answer the Section C questions yet, it was all really rushed starting it last term...
My teachers are doing a masterclass after school tonight and are using things from the courses they have been on so later on i'll share some of my notes :smile:
Reply 38
Thatcher and Thatcherism (The Making of the Contemporary World) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/041566019X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_Gn8fxb4Z7Y44G

My teacher's told our class to buy this book so we have some great knowledge for Thatcher on Section C, I've got sections of it and thinks it's really good and worth buying. It's been going out of stock on some sites lately so my teachers saying it probably means kids across the country are buying it too so if you don't have enough knowledge on thatcher (more so from this book) then you could be at disadvantage in the exam. But it's up to you if you're willing to spend a little for it, I've already ordered mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Hey just thought Id post up my essay from Page 132 in the Textbook - a Thatcher Section C Question. Critiques or thoughts at all really really appreciated ta
"How far do you agree with the view that deep divisions in society were created by the policies of the Thatcher government?" (Finally a time to use my typing speed lol)

The discussion of whether Thatcher's economic policies led to deep divisions in society is an ongoing source of much heated debate .Historian Norman Lowe attacks Thatcher's policies, claiming that the "gap between rich and poor widened", whilst The Telegraph writer argues that the policies of Thatcher's government resulted in a "more purely democratic" society. Although the recent date of these events undoubtedly make this claim more difficult to measure, both sources paint very different perspectives on the effects on Thatcher's policies and must be considered in a balanced way when considering this question.

Lowe's clear stance on the negative effects of Thatcher's policies is evident throughout the source with his frequent reference to an increasing gap between rich and poor. To support this, Lowe indicates that in 1993, "the gap between the highest and lowest wages was the widest since records began". This evidence shows strong support for the argument that Thatcher's policies led to deeper divisions in society. Nevertheless, it is weakened by the point that due to Thatcher's policies, many of the traditionally working class began to take part in activities such as buying shares, for example when considering BT share-selling in 1986. This shows that though the financial gap may have widened between the extreme ends of society, aspects of the social gap were lessening.

In contrast to Lowe, The Telegraph strongly supports Thatcher's economic policies with the bold assertion that Thatcher's policies allowed all to "vote with [their] wallets" due to Britain becoming "immeasurably richer". Whilst that latter claim may lack weight when considering the evidence from Lowe's extract, the paper also points out that the working class were "encouraged to be shareholders and homeowners". This once again gives reason to argue for the success of Thatcher's economic policies in not creating these supposed deep divisions. Indeed, it can be seen by the repeated use of the word "freedom" that the source goes beyond and claims that, contrary to the stance of Lowe, Thatcher's policies reduced these divisions by freeing the people from the bond of the unions and the state.

However, despite this argument, the inarguable rise in unemployment and poverty in the "underclass", as referred to by Lowe, must be seen as a result of Thatcher cutting many state jobs. The privatisation of the companies also was of primary benefit to the richest 20 per cent of the population who "gained... almost a third". These two contrasting effects, stressed on by Lowe, reveal parts of Thatcher's policies increased division in society.

Despite the increase in financial division between the extreme ends of society, Thatcher's policies also led to increasing class integration in certain areas. Although Lowe points out the "gap between the rich and the poor" widening, The Telegraph writer shows through shareholding and homeowning, some society divisions lessening. Therefore, I only agree to a limited extent that deep divisions in society were created by the policies of the Thatcher government.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending