The Student Room Group

Camp america 2016

Hey :smile: is anyone doing camp America this summer/ have done it before? I'm going to the fair on Thursday and trying to find which camp would be the best to apply to :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georginakate97
Hey :smile: is anyone doing camp America this summer/ have done it before? I'm going to the fair on Thursday and trying to find which camp would be the best to apply to :smile:

Hey! I am applying to do Camp America this year, half way through my application just need to complete a few things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I might be. :smile:

How ld are you?
Original post by bethaaaanie
Hey! I am applying to do Camp America this year, half way through my application just need to complete a few things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you gonna go to one of the recruitment fairs? Or just through the normal interview route? :smile:
Original post by rap11
I might be. :smile:

How ld are you?

I'm in first year at uni (will by 19 by summer) you? :smile:
Are you gonna go to one of the recruitment fairs? Or just through the normal interview route? :smile:

Really wanted to go to the recruitment fair but couldn't make the date of the one that's closest to me and the rest are quite far, so the normal interview route. Have you finished your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really wanted to go to the recruitment fair but couldn't make the date of the one that's closest to me and the rest are quite far, so the normal interview route. Have you finished your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

mostly yeah, things keep getting updated though like 'contact detials' and stuff, ahh it's stressful! you? also, do you have any idea on where you'd wanna go?
mostly yeah, things keep getting updated though like 'contact detials' and stuff, ahh it's stressful! you? also, do you have any idea on where you'd wanna go?

Yeah I have quite a bit to do, I still need to upload some activity pictures which I'm struggling with as I don't have any & the video😩 I'm really interested in going to an underprivileged camp, looked at a few I'm interested in and they're all mainly in New York. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone

I'm really thinking about applying for this summer (a bit late I know), but I'm a bit worried as I have no special skills and pretty much no childcare experience, however I still love kids and know I would love working as a camp counsellor and it would be an amazing experience. Is it worth applying or will I just get shot down because of this haha?

Thanks!!
Yeah I have quite a bit to do, I still need to upload some activity pictures which I'm struggling with as I don't have any & the video😩 I'm really interested in going to an underprivileged camp, looked at a few I'm interested in and they're all mainly in New York. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh sounds good! And there's one in California I'm really interested in- a lot of my skills are to do with aquatics so it being on the beach helps :biggrin:
Original post by lauren2412
Hey everyone

I'm really thinking about applying for this summer (a bit late I know), but I'm a bit worried as I have no special skills and pretty much no childcare experience, however I still love kids and know I would love working as a camp counsellor and it would be an amazing experience. Is it worth applying or will I just get shot down because of this haha?

Thanks!!

If I was you, I'd apply! There is the general counsellor role where you supervise a group of campers and go round to their daily activities with them and you'd be able to join in, if you are worried about not having specific skills that role may be worth looking into😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh sounds good! And there's one in California I'm really interested in- a lot of my skills are to do with aquatics so it being on the beach helps :biggrin:

That's cool😊 I hope you get placed at the camp you want!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey if anyone is looking for advice I did camp america last year and im going back this year
Original post by lauren2412
Hey everyone

Thanks!!

You could choose a support staff role. Its not too late yet
Original post by scotscout96
Hey if anyone is looking for advice I did camp america last year and im going back this year

Hey did you go to a recruitment fair to get placed?

Hey, I have a few questions if you don't mind:smile:
How long did it take for you to get placed?
Did you get home sick? I'm worried I might haha, but I guess most people do as they settle in.
How was the travel process? I know some people end up meeting others that are flying out at the airport, it seems a bit daunting flying out alone.

Sorry for all the questions!
Hey did you go to a recruitment fair to get placed?

I got hired at the Edinburgh recruitment fair.
A few tips for the fair
Go to the fair expecting not to get hired straight away, I talked to lots of camps before I got hired.
Be open minded my camp is a Jewish camp, I’m not Jewish and never even though about Jewish camps but they want non Jewish staff as well
Be prepared, have your application form and have an idea of how you’re going to answer questions.
And finally if you don’t get hired there don’t worry most people don’t
Good luck and enjoy the day you could be talking to future colleagues and bosses
Hey, I have a few questions if you don't mind:smile:
How long did it take for you to get placed?
Did you get home sick? I'm worried I might haha, but I guess most people do as they settle in.
How was the travel process? I know some people end up meeting others that are flying out at the airport, it seems a bit daunting flying out alone.

Sorry for all the questions!

Hey honestly you don't have time to be home sick you will have a busy schedules and your nights off there is so much going on you don’t really think about home. And even if you are remember everyone’s in the same boat so you won’t be the only one and the camp director and senior staff will always be happy to help if you need a chat, also you can skype home whenever you have free time so family’s not that far away.

Travel was fine (boring on the long flight), for me it was my first ever flight (with the exception of my flights to get my visa), I wore my camp america t-shirt and met loads of people in the airport who are all as nervous and excited as you are. Don’t worry about these things I was incredibly nervous and as soon as I met other people was fine. Go for it apply you will have a blast

You will read things online people saying they had an awful time but everyone I’ve read is someone looking for a cheap US holiday so be prepared to work hard in the end its a job
Hi,
has anyone gone to a recruitment fair? If so, how did you get placed/ any tips so i can get placed on the day? :smile:
Hey honestly you don't have time to be home sick you will have a busy schedules and your nights off there is so much going on you don’t really think about home. And even if you are remember everyone’s in the same boat so you won’t be the only one and the camp director and senior staff will always be happy to help if you need a chat, also you can skype home whenever you have free time so family’s not that far away.

Travel was fine (boring on the long flight), for me it was my first ever flight (with the exception of my flights to get my visa), I wore my camp america t-shirt and met loads of people in the airport who are all as nervous and excited as you are. Don’t worry about these things I was incredibly nervous and as soon as I met other people was fine. Go for it apply you will have a blast

You will read things online people saying they had an awful time but everyone I’ve read is someone looking for a cheap US holiday so be prepared to work hard in the end its a job

Thanks for answering my questions, feel better now haha! It will be my first ever flight too so really nervous, would definitely feel more relaxed if I met people at the airport. Will 100% be applying😊 can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending