The Student Room Group

Weightlifting shoes - how should they fit?

Bought a few pairs of different sizes size 'a' (half a size bigger than normal shoe size) and size 'b' (one full size bigger than normal)

a) fits snugly in whole foot apart from toe where it pieces the big toe a bit around the toenail area

b) Fits well in the heel and lower half of foot but above there is more room at top half of shoe (i can move the top half of foot around slightly) and more tow space where it doesn't pinch and I can wiggle them a little

Which one should I keep? I don't want 'b' if its will be too big when lifting as my feet might move around but 'a' seems like it will hurt after a while as my big toe is uncomfortable.
Around your feet.
Reply 2
Original post by HappyLifting
Around your feet.

very funny
Original post by tootles44
Bought a few pairs of different sizes size 'a' (half a size bigger than normal shoe size) and size 'b' (one full size bigger than normal)

a) fits snugly in whole foot apart from toe where it pieces the big toe a bit around the toenail area

b) Fits well in the heel and lower half of foot but above there is more room at top half of shoe (i can move the top half of foot around slightly) and more tow space where it doesn't pinch and I can wiggle them a little

Which one should I keep? I don't want 'b' if its will be too big when lifting as my feet might move around but 'a' seems like it will hurt after a while as my big toe is uncomfortable.

definitely a) you want them to be a little bit snug!
Reply 4
Original post by trapking
definitely a) you want them to be a little bit snug!

but they pinch my toe :/ I wore them for a session today and it started getting tingly :frown: I can see that getting irritating very quickly, I don't want to dread lifting because my shoes hurt and they are also quite expensive to be cast aside if I can't use them any longer

do you have some yourself?
but they pinch my toe :/ I wore them for a session today and it started getting tingly :frown: I can see that getting irritating very quickly, I don't want to dread lifting because my shoes hurt and they are also quite expensive to be cast aside if I can't use them any longer

do you have some yourself?

yeah I have these:

for the second ones when you say they are "loose" do they move around a lot when you move? If no then go with those instead! The whole point of the shoe is to make you a lot more stable and provide an optimal base to allow you to generate the maximum force you can.
Reply 6
Original post by trapking
yeah I have these:

for the second ones when you say they are "loose" do they move around a lot when you move? If no then go with those instead! The whole point of the shoe is to make you a lot more stable and provide an optimal base to allow you to generate the maximum force you can.

move as in general walking? Not a huge amount but there is more give compared to the first ones. I kinda like the snugness of the first one but will the pinching not get painful/annoying after a while though?

I have those ones too in a different color, such odd sizing though :redface:
If it's pinching your toes it's clearly too small lol.
move as in general walking? Not a huge amount but there is more give compared to the first ones. I kinda like the snugness of the first one but will the pinching not get painful/annoying after a while though?

I have those ones too in a different color, such odd sizing though :redface:

It won't be painful because it's not too tight....for example I'm a size 10 myself and with these shoes (same size) the top bit of my toe touches the end of the shoe a bit snug if that even makes sense (my toe doesn't have that much room to move around)? It's closer to what you described in a) because it's definitely not "loose" :lol:

It will feel weird at first but once you're used to them it won't be a big deal it's just a psychological thing really :tongue: ! If the pain is too much for your toe then get the bigger size!

I only wear mine when I squat heavy weight....or sumo deadlift! But sometimes I won't bother if it's not that heavy weight!
Reply 9
If the choice is a bit big or a bit small I'd go a bit small. Pinching is more immediately annoying but your feet moving is annoying too. You should barely walk around in them, like literally from the changing room to the rack, and if need be you can loosen them between sets.

Or you could just send them both back and try a different brand

They should be quite tight. They're not made for comfort. You can take them off between sets. Although maybe b is a better option as the metatarsal strap should help keep your feet secure in the shoe.
If they are leather they will stretch a little bit, but basically they should fit like trainers.
Reply 12
Original post by SmashConcept
If they are leather they will stretch a little bit, but basically they should fit like trainers.

Im sure they are leather

will they stretch at the toe though that is the question...

edit: it is actually synthetic material, i stand corrected
(edited 8 years ago)
This guy gets one answer he doesn’t like so says he complains about how it feels and then someone suggests the other shoe that doesn’t bother him but then he goes on to say “but I like that it’s snug but it pinces my toe so we’re right back where we started. Mother****er which shoe do YOU want. You looking for someone to co-sign for you but when they do you bounce back to the other shoe. What a fence sitting pussy. Be a man and commit to something. Wear whatever the **** you want but don’t ask for help for you to bounce around between both shoes. Maybe choose a different brand ****boy
Original post by RamboFox
This guy gets one answer he doesn’t like so says he complains about how it feels and then someone suggests the other shoe that doesn’t bother him but then he goes on to say “but I like that it’s snug but it pinces my toe so we’re right back where we started. Mother****er which shoe do YOU want. You looking for someone to co-sign for you but when they do you bounce back to the other shoe. What a fence sitting pussy. Be a man and commit to something. Wear whatever the **** you want but don’t ask for help for you to bounce around between both shoes. Maybe choose a different brand ****boy

2 years and 2 weeks late

Nailed it 10/10
Reply 15
Original post by RamboFox

it's a she..

Original post by Angry cucumber
2 years and 2 weeks late

Nailed it 10/10

lmao jokes on him i dont wear weightlifting shoes no' mo'

too much faff for the kinds of weights I'm lifting

Quick Reply

Latest