The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bradford uni??
Original post by RonnieRJ
Why would they reject you? I doubt that. You could've just decided on a last minute gap year so!

They're really funny about re-applications (other than Oxbridge). I know a few people who have re-applied to places after deciding on a gap year to strengthen their application to Oxbridge and places which they received offers from the previous year turned them down. Fortunately, all three of them got offers from Oxbridge so it wasn't a complete disaster!
Reply 462
Original post by Snufkin
Technically it isn't wrong, if you want to leave out (Oxon), (Cantab) or (Dubl) then you can - it is assumed that most people will know how the Oxbridge MA works and will understand that it's an undergraduate degree.

Most? Why confuse the issue? Surely if it was simply a BA, they would be no ambiguity at all.
Can some explain to me why Oxford and Cambridge have all this reputation?

I know they have a huge background (in every sense) and that they are elite unis but I don't understand why people see them as "exceptional" compared with excellent unis like ICL and UCL. Especially when UCL starts to show up ahead of Cambridge in some rankings (not that this means anything).

This is a honest question and by my grammar it's clear that I'm not from the UK.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can some explain to me why Oxford and Cambridge have all this reputation?

I know they have a huge background (in every sense) and that they are elite unis but I don't understand why people see them as "exceptional" compared with excellent unis like ICL and UCL. Especially when UCL starts to show up ahead of Cambridge in some rankings (not that this means anything).

This is a honest question and by my grammar it's clear that I'm not from the UK.

The best students all apply there.
They have the most Rigorous application/selection process.
Then the undergraduate tutorial/supervision system allows one on one discussion on a daily basis with tutors which is not available nor matched at any other UK university.
Some of best researchers/lecturers in their respective fields teach you the subject they are one kf the best in.
Collegiate system aswell(one can argue Durham, but the subjects are still all centralised unlike Oxbridge for a more personal experience).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 465
Original post by physicsmaths
The best students all apply there.
They have the most Rigorous application/selection process.
Then the undergraduate tutorial/supervision system allows one on one discussion on a daily basis with tutors which is not available nor matched at any other UK university.
Some of best researchers/lecturers in their respective fields teach you the subject they are one kf the best in.
Collegiate system aswell(one can argue Durham, but the subjects are still all centralised unlike Oxbridge for a more personal experience).

Posted from TSR Mobile

all agreed son

make sure you do not end up at Warwick
(Imperial or UCL)
g3.jpg
Original post by TeeEm
all agreed son

make sure you do not end up at Warwick
(Imperial or UCL)
g3.jpg

Can confirm will not be at Warwick haha.
Imperial will be my insurance most likely!
If I get the S in step, cambridge here i come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 467
Can confirm will not be at Warwick haha.
Imperial will be my insurance most likely!
If I get the S in step, cambridge here i come.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are your offers exactly for CAMB. and IMP?
Original post by TeeEm
what are your offers exactly for CAMB. and IMP?

Cambridge 4A*s, so basically 2 A*s in Additional Further Maths and Physics.
STEP II and III grades S and 1 in any order.
Imperial AA in Additional Further Maths and Physics.
Warwick A in Physics or Additional FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 469
Cambridge 4A*s, so basically 2 A*s in Additional Further Maths and Physics.
STEP II and III grades S and 1 in any order.
Imperial AA in Additional Further Maths and Physics.
Warwick A in Physics or Additional FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Cambridge offer is very tough I think
The other 2 are almost insulting ...
Original post by TeeEm
The Cambridge offer is very tough I think
The other 2 are almost insulting ...

Lol.
Yes, the A* in Physics is the only thing bothering me tbh. The rest is OK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by caveman123
You'll be surprised how many do put MA after their names, which is a lie, as it ought to be MA (Oxon / Cantab).

In any case, why confuse the issue at all? Just stick to BA.

Anyone sticking any qualifications after their name is just labelling themselves as an insecure nitwit.

Even in professional correspondence unless it's directly relevant to the work you're doing it's completely pointless. I used to know a car parking manager who delighted in putting "(BA, MA)" after their email signature. It is a ridiculous thing to do.

If people need to know your qualifications then they'll ask for a CV. They don't belong at the end of your name unless you want to label yourself as a snob desperate to feel superior to other people.
Original post by Zweihander7
None of those outclass IB.

Strat consulting is more elitist than IB yes, but doesnt have the same level of prestige as IB.

Law / politics is def not more prestigious than IB, and as you alluded to PE/HFs dont even recruit undergrads. Also, the man on the street has probably never heard of 99.9% of PE/HFs.

Big Tech will get you respect sure, but most people know that bankers earn a ridiculous amount. More people will have heard of Google than Goldman Sachs sure, but if they know both, they'll assume your salary at GS will be multiples of what it will be at Google.

I'm sorry, but at what point did respectability become positively correlated with the amount one earned? All I can see in this post is shallowness and vulgarity. An upstart-mindset.
Just a quick question, but I was wondering why Exeter is often not stated to be on the same level as Kings, Bristol, Durham and Warwick. Is Bristol better than Exeter?
Original post by DBR247
Just a quick question, but I was wondering why Exeter is often not stated to be on the same level as Kings, Bristol, Durham and Warwick. Is Bristol better than Exeter?

lol
Original post by DBR247

On average, the level of student achievement on entering uni (well apart from Kings, kings is slightly below Exeter for exam achievement) and the level of research outputted by the aforementioned is higher than Exeter's.

Bristol/Durham/Warwick also seem to have closer ties to more city firms (though Exeter has comprehensive ties with law firms and a decent amount of banks/other companies).

Obviously, they're all pretty solid options and the nuanced perceptions that exist between them are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

As for your question about bristol.. it depends what you mean by better.. E.g. the English and History departments at Exeter are solidly above Bristol's. Not so much for Econ, CompSci, Maths etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 476
Not sure why Warwick gets so much love here and UCL get's slaughtered by some. In terms of employability by the elite firms (i.e. Goldman, MBB, PE, BigLaw), which is in some ways another proxy for quality of students, the targets and ranking is very clear.

Oxbridge // UCL/LSE // Imperial

Everything else, such as Warwick, Durham, St. Andrews are afterthought where only occassionally a candidate comes from that happens to be exceptional but fluked out from the other uni's for some reason.
Original post by trabar
Not sure why Warwick gets so much love here and UCL get's slaughtered by some. In terms of employability by the elite firms (i.e. Goldman, MBB, PE, BigLaw), which is in some ways another proxy for quality of students, the targets and ranking is very clear.

Oxbridge // UCL/LSE // Imperial

Everything else, such as Warwick, Durham, St. Andrews are afterthought where only occassionally a candidate comes from that happens to be exceptional but fluked out from the other uni's for some reason.

UCL and Warwick are about the same, LSE is a different league. They're all targets tho
Reply 478
Original post by trooper3
UCL and Warwick are about the same, LSE is a different league. They're all targets tho

Sorry not true. Warwick is in the same league as Durham and Bristol and not considered a target. LSE actually does equal to UCL in recruiting. Imperial slightly worse. The five I mentioned are the true targets.
Original post by trabar
Sorry not true. Warwick is in the same league as Durham and Bristol and not considered a target. LSE actually does equal to UCL in recruiting. Imperial slightly worse. The five I mentioned are the true targets.

Nah, Warwick is a target, it did better than UCL last year in terms of investment banking at top tier banks. But if it makes you sleep at night then believe what you want/

Latest

Trending

Trending