The Student Room Group

How much of your net worth would you spend on a car in the future?

How much of your net worth would you spend on a car in the future?

lets say you're worth 100k,500k or 1 m+ how much would you spend on a car? i.e 5%, 10% or more?

I ask this since i see some people with barely 10k with brand new cars...............

Bill
Probably about a quarter of it........
£100 000: Nothing.
£500 000: Between 10 and 20 percent.
£1 000 000: 10 percent at most.
Reply 3
100%

Why not, yolo
probs more than my net worth, then file for bankruptcy
I'd say a sensible amount to spend is 20% of your net worth on the FULL price of a new car. So if you're financing you can afford much better cars.
Reply 6
Original post by Awesome Genius
I'd say a sensible amount to spend is 20% of your net worth on the FULL price of a new car. So if you're financing you can afford much better cars.

fair enough!
Reply 7
Original post by Hydeman
£100 000: Nothing.
£500 000: Between 10 and 20 percent.
£1 000 000: 10 percent at most.

what about 250k?......:tongue:

Original post by gr8wizard10
probs more than my net worth, then file for bankruptcy

legend!
Original post by Bill_Gates
what about 250k?......:tongue:

40 percent, at most. I'm trying to keep the absolute amount in each case restricted to about £100 000. :tongue: I don't think there's much point spending more than that on a car, even if I was stinking rich.
Reply 9
Original post by Hydeman
40 percent, at most. I'm trying to keep the absolute amount in each case restricted to about £100 000. :tongue: I don't think there's much point spending more than that on a car, even if I was stinking rich.

true since you have to follow speed limits

sigh
Reply 10
not in germany...
All of it
Reply 12
um... Actually i'd rather invest (stocks, watches(jewellery), land), wait a few (5) years (by then there will be better cars out, maybe even cheaper and the quality even better), sell the investments (if you were handling stocks, that would be a different story), and buy a nice car you can actually afford buying, cause bare in mind; The car will min. lose about 50% of its monetary value as soon as you sign the contract (So you might want a decent amount of cash back for when you sell it), and the amount of gas it will consume should be affordable at that point in life and in future.

But to answer your question Bill_Gates, people sometimes make irrational choices they will certainly regret in the future, they do what makes them happy :smile:
Other than that the car could just be a "job-car", one you would get provided with by doing a job for a company. For example, instead of payment you get to drive a brand new car for a year.
Original post by Regalia
um... Actually i'd rather invest (stocks, watches(jewellery), land), wait a few (5) years (by then there will be better cars out, maybe even cheaper and the quality even better), sell the investments (if you were handling stocks, that would be a different story), and buy a nice car you can actually afford buying, cause bare in mind; The car will min. lose about 50% of its monetary value as soon as you sign the contract (So you might want a decent amount of cash back for when you sell it), and the amount of gas it will consume should be affordable at that point in life and in future.

But to answer your question Bill_Gates, people sometimes make irrational choices they will certainly regret in the future, they do what makes them happy :smile:
Other than that the car could just be a "job-car", one you would get provided with by doing a job for a company. For example, instead of payment you get to drive a brand new car for a year.

yeah i get that but this is the assumption you've made your desired sum and how much of it would you spend on a car? lol % wise.
Reply 14
Original post by Bill_Gates
yeah i get that but this is the assumption you've made your desired sum and how much of it would you spend on a car? lol % wise.

hmm.... i guess what ever amount the car would cost that i liked... other than that i'd be ok spending between 50-100k for a car, if it was reasonably good (not just fancy). Though.. then again im a car fanatic and would go for a fancy car even if it were quite ****.... like my current one :"( ... And!!
I wouldn't mind a Citroen GT or Lamborghini Sesto Elemento :wink: (For free ofcourse) :wink: or a tuned version of a Lamborghini Estoque...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
All of it

Legend!

Quick Reply

Latest