The Student Room Group

A career in law: a law degree or a post grad diploma

Hi there,

I recently got a place at Cambridge to study psychological & behavioural sciences, with a plan to move on to do a post grad diploma in law.

I was wondering if I would be at any disadvantage career-wise having not done a degree in law.

Thanks!
Original post by sparr0w
Hi there,

I recently got a place at Cambridge to study psychological & behavioural sciences, with a plan to move on to do a post grad diploma in law.

I was wondering if I would be at any disadvantage career-wise having not done a degree in law.

Thanks!

It isn't a disadvantage. Most top city firms hire 50:50 law to non-law graduates on their training schemes. Your focus should be on trying to get involved with a couple of activities/initiatives outside of academics.

A few firms have first year schemes (Clifford Chance, Freshfields, Allen and Overy and a few more) which you could apply to. The vast majority have vac schemes available to apply to in your penultimate (or in the majority of cases for non-law students final) year.

Don't sweat a non-issue!
Reply 2
Thank you!!
Original post by Princepieman
It isn't a disadvantage. Most top city firms hire 50:50 law to non-law graduates on their training schemes. Your focus should be on trying to get involved with a couple of activities/initiatives outside of academics.

A few firms have first year schemes (Clifford Chance, Freshfields, Allen and Overy and a few more) which you could apply to. The vast majority have vac schemes available to apply to in your penultimate (or in the majority of cases for non-law students final) year.

Don't sweat a non-issue!

Bro what pays more, law or IB?
Original post by anonwinner
Bro what pays more, law or IB?

IB at first, but it equalises near the top end (i.e. equity partner for law and MD for banking). That said, the really upside to IB is the ability to move into primary investing (Hedge Funds/Private Equity) where pay can (I repeat 'can', it depends) dwarf both of the aforementioned.

Money shouldn't be your focus man. Do what interests you more and what you think you'll succeed at. IB/Law isn't for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
IB at first, but it equalises near the top end (i.e. equity partner for law and MD for banking). That said, the really upside to IB is the ability to move into primary investing (Hedge Funds/Private Equity) where pay can (I repeat 'can', it depends) dwarf both of the aforementioned.

Money shouldn't be your focus man. Do what interests you more and what you think you'll succeed at. IB/Law isn't for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.

MOney is my only focus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending