The Student Room Group

Gap year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by meygagagan
I'm on a gap year right now and didn't defer my place until september 2015! So no matter what people say it isn't too late to decide, but maybe take some time to think about what you'd do on your gap year if you were to take one (not a definite plan but to give you an idea of what you'd spend your year doing)

My decision to take one was because of health issues throughout year 13 that meant I just wanted a break from education for a bit! I'm working full time in retail which has just reaffirmed my desire to go to uni this year and I'm really going to appreciate all the money I've saved up come september.. I've taken the time to visit friends at their universities, enrol on several courses and plan two months of inter-railing come summer to give you a few ideas!

If you're worried about being the "old" one on your course if you do take the year out then don't be, if anything it'll be better because you'll have more money in the bank (depending on how good you are at saving of course...)

If you want any ideas or advice or just have any questions just message me! :smile:

Ahh that's awesome! Hope you're all good now.. where are you planning on going during your time away?
That's so nice to hear as well ahah, that thought would occasionally cross my mind but seeing that so many take gap years is really reassuring :biggrin:
Original post by esmiwilson
Thanks for all the links, really helpful :smile:

No problem.

Having a gap year and taking time out of 'normal' life is a great thing to do.

Remember that the first year of uni doesn't count towards your final classification. This year is intended as the time for students to find their feet and 'grow up' so I wouldn't worry about not being mature enough.

Also consider the impact of some friends possibly moving out of your area and you being left behind. I know someone who took a gap year and felt a bit isolated in his small town after his friends moved out to uni and work.

I also have a friend who had a gap year but then dropped out of uni in the first term. Not the end of the world but I guess he lost a bit more time. I think it puts more pressure on you to get your uni choice right first time.

Travel, work, read some good books, get fit, get drunk. Just make sure you have plenty of constructive, rewarding activity to go alongside the duvet days. :wink:
Reply 22
Original post by stefano865
No problem.

Having a gap year and taking time out of 'normal' life is a great thing to do.

Remember that the first year of uni doesn't count towards your final classification. This year is intended as the time for students to find their feet and 'grow up' so I wouldn't worry about not being mature enough.

Also consider the impact of some friends possibly moving out of your area and you being left behind. I know someone who took a gap year and felt a bit isolated in his small town after his friends moved out to uni and work.

I also have a friend who had a gap year but then dropped out of uni in the first term. Not the end of the world but I guess he lost a bit more time. I think it puts more pressure on you to get your uni choice right first time.

Travel, work, read some good books, get fit, get drunk. Just make sure you have plenty of constructive, rewarding activity to go alongside the duvet days. :wink:

Hahaha sounds good to me :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest