The Student Room Group

How do I tell my family I want to change religion

I've decided I want to change my religion. I'm currently an atheist, I didn't believe in anything and I started to question my faith. I looked into other religions from Christianity to Hinduism but i wasn't certain in them. I started to look into Islam (I least expected to with everything going on with IS) with a clear mind without taking into account what i had learnt from the media and I really liked the religion.

I started reading more and more into it and I decided that I thought it was the right religion. I've started to read the Koran translation with also some background of the verses and I think it is so amazing.

I am going tomorrow to take my testimony to become Muslim But i don't know how to tell my family. My best friend already knows and she says she will support me.

I am not trolling for those who may think that.

Feel free to AMA
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've decided I want to change my religion. I'm currently an atheist, I didn't believe in anything and I started to question my faith. I looked into other religions from Christianity to Hinduism but i wasn't certain in them. I started to look into Islam (I least expected to with everything going on with IS) with a clear mind without taking into account what i had learnt from the media and I really liked the religion.

I started reading more and more into it and I decided that I thought it was the right religion. I've started to read the Koran translation with also some background of the verses and I think it is so amazing.

I am going tomorrow to take my testimony to become Muslim But i don't know how to tell my family. My best friend already knows and she says she will support me.

Feel free to AMA

It depends how your family thinks about the religion. But you should explain why you wanted to convert to Islam and surely they will understand. Hope everything goes well.

Feel free to AMA

Asalamu alykum, sister!!! :wavey:
Well first of all, congratulations and welcome to Islam!! :yay::clap2:
Subhanallah, God guides whom He wills "الله يهدى ما يشاء"

My advice for you is to tell your parents, sooner or later. It is Allah who changes the hearts of people, therefore you need to rely on Him and pray earnestly that your parents accept you.
You can maybe teach them about Islam. Show them how good it is through your actions.

I just pray that Allah will sort it out. :console:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Sometimes we can overthink things.
If your parents love you they will support you in anything you do in life providing it is legal and does not hurt anyone.
Good luck, try not to stress too much and let us know how it goes. 😎
Mashallah, its nice to see acceptance of the religion even in these times of the media. I would say slowly does, just see how its nice despite the media, also say you'll go the mosque to see whats it like. From what you have written there seems to be no conflict of interest ie your parents religion or a previous one.

Also youtube Imam asim hussain, drugs and alcohol speech thats really good.
Original post by The Reality
You are an example of evolution working backwards. Be free with your fairy tales. It's the primitive side of you expressing its dominance.

If he wants to believe let him. I bet if this was a person trying to get away from their religion you would support that wouldnt you.
Reply 6

Feel free to AMA

Apparently I voted for you recently lol? but congratulations!!! honestly it shows through your actions you're family will see you transform bit by bit try and show them the goodness in Islam you saw and they'll accept you open heartedly!!! If you have any questions about anything PM me lol I am a proud Muslim myself!!
Original post by EastGuava
How flawed.

????! :hmmm:
Atheism isn't a faith.
Bet OP is a Muslim lol.
Reply 10
This has to be a troll.
This is definitely a Muslim troll pretending to be an ex athiest
I'm actually a Muslim girl and I really have a massive thing for this Hindu guy like OMG :sexface: :sexface: :sexface:

I really want his ghee all over me if you know what i mean
Original post by EastGuava
If you don't see the flaw, you must be blinded by faith. :redface:

I assume you're an ex-Muslim!:facepalm:
Well, the only flaw I could see is YOU!:rolleyes:

Alhamdulillah ala ni'matil Islam! [Thank God for the blessing of Islam] :happy2:
Original post by FluffyCherry
I assume you're an ex-Muslim!:facepalm:
Well, the only flaw I could see is YOU!:rolleyes:

Alhamdulillah ala ni'matil Islam! [Thank God for the blessing of Islam] :happy2:

I think she means, although I could be wrong and she should correct me if I am, that if Allah wills/chooses who to guide then it's not someone's fault if they never come to Islam and thus unfair and unjust to end up in hell because of this.
The greatest gift your parents gave you was to not be blinded by religion.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I think she means, although I could be wrong and she should correct me if I am, that if Allah wills/chooses who to guide then it's not someone's fault if they never come to Islam and thus unfair and unjust to end up in hell because of this.

Well, if that's what she meant then everything happens according to Allah’s Predestination and Will.
The fact that all things are already decreed and pre-determined by Allah does not take away from men and women their freedom to choose, for that itself is part of the divine will. No one can use the excuse of pre-determination for acting irresponsibly. Everyone knows quite well that he has a choice to do certain things, while he has no choice to do certain other things.

No one therefore should use the excuse of divine will to justify some evil deed he has committed, for deep inside of him, he knew he had a choice to do it or not to do it.

Say: ‘Truth is from your Lord’. Now whosoever will, may believe, and whosoever will, may disbelieve.” (Al-Kahf: 29)
“If it had been your Lord’s will, all who are in the earth would have believed. Will you, then, force the people to become believers? (Yunus: 99)

These verses clearly establish the fact that human beings have the freedom to choose. So the belief in pre-determination is not opposed to man’s freedom to choose or act in the universe.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending