The Student Room Group

Question about the IB

Hello,
I'm 16 this year and I'm in the pre-IB course in my school.
I haven't heard much about the IB program yet from my teachers besides the basics (although I'm quite sure we'll learn more at the end of the year). However I'm not one of the top students in my year so I want to start my preparations early so that I'm not falling behind and also so that I can qualify for the HLs that I want to take next year.

As I want to study History at a tertiary level, I'll definitely be aiming to take that for one of my HLs. I go to an arts school where we do different art forms (Dance, Theatre, Visual Arts & Music) as well as academics, and as I do theatre, that automatically becomes one of my HL subjects.
I was wondering, would Theatre HL, History HL & Chem HL be an okay combination to take? As I would like to take a humanities subject as well as a science (I do Biology and Chemsitry currently but we have to pick between the two at the end of the year).

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to do well in the IB & how to prepare so that I can qualify for the HLs that I hope to take please? It's a dream of mine to study History at Oxford and I'd be willing to work like mad to be able to try and apply for an undergraduate course there. I know that it's so competitive in terms of applications but I'm very passionate about the subject and its the subject I do the best in, and I'd love to study it in a place with so much history in itself.

I'd really appreciate any advice!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Honestly, just don't leave your work till the last minute and do the daily homework you're assigned. These are the two biggest advice to keep in mind.

Where exactly are you doing the pre-IB? I did mine in Denmark and the transition from pre-IB to 1st year of IB was pretty smooth. Like, you couldn't feel a huge rise in difficulty, however, it did become pretty stressful at the end of the year because I kept procrastinatin (oops lmfao).

If you're truly into those subjects that you've chosen for HL and you'll study properly for it, then I think you should be good. :biggrin:
Original post by rachgb
Honestly, just don't leave your work till the last minute and do the daily homework you're assigned. These are the two biggest advice to keep in mind.

Where exactly are you doing the pre-IB? I did mine in Denmark and the transition from pre-IB to 1st year of IB was pretty smooth. Like, you couldn't feel a huge rise in difficulty, however, it did become pretty stressful at the end of the year because I kept procrastinatin (oops lmfao).

If you're truly into those subjects that you've chosen for HL and you'll study properly for it, then I think you should be good. :biggrin:

Hi! I'm doing the pre-IB in Singapore. The way my school works is that we're there for six years (13-18), the first 3 years are the foundation years & this year is officially called the pre-IB year. The curriculum for the first four years is created in a way to give us a strong foundation & prepare us for the IB years.

Quick Reply

Latest