The Student Room Group

stronium oxide + water

what would you see if strontium oxide is added to water
followed by three drops of universal indicator and then an excess of hydrochloric acid. Write equations for the reactions.

ik the equations are:
SrO (s) + H2O (aq) ---> Sr(OH)2 (aq)
and
Sr(OH)2 + 2HCl ---> SrCl2 + 2H2O

would the universal indicator be green cause it's neutralised? or not?

I'm mainly struggling with what specifically would you see?
pls help
The strontium hydroxide formed is a strong alkali so would cause the universal indicator to be purple and as you add the HCl, because you said EXCESS this would cause the solution to turn red, and the SrCl2 salt would dissolve in the solution.

I hope this helps, and if you need any more help check out my totally free website www.scienceskool.co.uk

Have fun

Alex
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by batoot
what would you see if strontium oxide is added to water
followed by three drops of universal indicator and then an excess of hydrochloric acid. Write equations for the reactions.

ik the equations are:
SrO (s) + H2O (aq) ---> Sr(OH)2 (aq)
and
Sr(OH)2 + 2HCl ---> SrCl2 + 2H2O

would the universal indicator be green cause it's neutralised? or not?

I'm mainly struggling with what specifically would you see?
pls help

SrO is a basic oxide, so you would see a basic colour, blue, with water.
Original post by ajsullivan
The first part SrO + H2O --> Sr(OH)2 + H2

You would see bubbles of hydrogen gas, which of course you could prove with a pop test. You may also see the white strontium hydroxide form but as the hydroxides become more soluble as you go down the group, it may dissolve.

In the second part, the strontium hydroxide formed is a strong alkali so would cause the universal indicator to be purple and as you add the HCl, because you said EXCESS this would cause the solution to turn red, and the SrCl2 salt would dissolve in the solution.

I hope this helps, and if you need any more help check out my totally free website www.scienceskool.co.uk

Have fun

Alex

Unfortunately this is wrong. I hope you don't have it on your totally free website...

The OP wrote the correct equations.
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Unfortunately this is wrong. I hope you don't have it on your totally free website...

The OP wrote the correct equations.

lol I'll just ignore that bit then, thank you for correcting it

is this bit right though:

"In the second part, the strontium hydroxide formed is a strong alkali so would cause the universal indicator to be purple and as you add the HCl because you said EXCESS this would cause the solution to turn red, and the SrCl2 salt would dissolve in the solution"
Original post by batoot
lol I'll just ignore that bit then, thank you for correcting it

is this bit right though:

"In the second part, the strontium hydroxide formed is a strong alkali so would cause the universal indicator to be purple and as you add the HCl because you said EXCESS this would cause the solution to turn red, and the SrCl2 salt would dissolve in the solution"

yes.
Original post by charco
yes.

I have totally misread that as Sr rather than SrO. I also think you probably spotted that yourself, but rather than make a polite correction, preferred to have a little dig at me.

Apologies for the incorrect answer.
I have totally misread that as Sr rather than SrO. I also think you probably spotted that yourself, but rather than make a polite correction, preferred to have a little dig at me.

Apologies for the incorrect answer.

Don't be offended. I have a warped sense of humour ...
Original post by charco
Don't be offended. I have a warped sense of humour ...

Apology accepted. If it helps it would be correct on the website :wink:
Reply 9
The strontium hydroxide formed is a strong alkali so would cause the universal indicator to be purple and as you add the HCl, because you said EXCESS this would cause the solution to turn red, and the SrCl2 salt would dissolve in the solution.

Have fun

Alex

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest