The Student Room Group

Why do we ignore all the attrocities against Germans population?

You know the mass rapes, the complete destruction of entire cities from bombings. Expulsions of ethnic-Germans from all over Europe, many thousands were murdered during those...
Original post by Fire Storm
You know the mass rapes, the complete destruction of entire cities from bombings. Expulsions of ethnic-Germans from all over Europe, many thousands were murdered during those...

Because history is written by the victors.
Well, modern historiography certainly doesn't, the expulsion of Germans from Eastern Europe, as well as the numerous other forced expulsions at the same time, have increasingly been documented as one event, and evidence of the bizarre obsession with ethnic homogeneity many international leaders had.

If you mean in common knowledge, it's mostly that it's hard to make things like that seem as significant as they perhaps should when they're overshadowed by the atrocities of Nazism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You mean by the russians at the end of WW2?
Germany has a record of descending Europe into chaos, I would not feel sorry for them as this is their doing
Reply 5
Ethnic germans are dying out not my problem if they don't care why should I
The Daily Mail ran an article last year defending the firebombing of Dresden, so it's not like they ignore it...
Original post by thehistorybore
Because history is written by the victors.

That assumes that all books of the enemy are burned and all monuments are destroyed.
Original post by The_Last_Melon
That assumes that all books of the enemy are burned and all monuments are destroyed.

Although I was joking, I don't think the quote I used is at all accurate, the destruction of books and monuments happens with surprising frequency.

Lol wut? When did any of that happen?

I know what you're referring to by "mass rapes" (although technically there's only been one "mass rape" so far), but no clue about the rest of the stuff you mentioned?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although I was joking, I don't think the quote I used is at all accurate, the destruction of books and monuments happens with surprising frequency.

So basically if you get proven wrong you pretend you are joking.
Original post by anarchism101
and evidence of the bizarre obsession with ethnic homogeneity many international leaders had.
Posted from TSR Mobile

A legacy of the failure to address ''self-determination'', one of the so called 14 points after the First World War. So the theory went, if ethnic groups had their own country and weren't geographically spread, war and ethnic tension would be less likely. In the case of Yugoslavia, sadly they were right.
Original post by Dopesmoker
Lol wut? When did any of that happen?

I know what you're referring to by "mass rapes" (although technically there's only been one "mass rape" so far), but no clue about the rest of the stuff you mentioned?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what OP is talking about (I'm not surprised you have not heard of it):

Ethnic Cleansing by the Soviets Post WWII: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_and_expulsion_of_Germans_(1944%E2%80%9350)

'Saturation Bombing' of Dresden near the end of the war: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II

Looks like it's about to happen all over again.

No... There's a plethora of annoying phrases that people use in attempt to sum up the nature of history, of which that is one. History was once written by the victors (the Roman Empire or the Mughal period for example), however, early modern history up to the present is written more or less by everyone.
Lol k

No... There's a plethora of annoying phrases that people use in attempt to sum up the nature of history, of which that is one. History was once written by the victors (the Roman Empire or the Mughal period for example), however, early modern history up to the present is written more or less by everyone.

True, even more so with the internet

However, the history people are taught is selected by the victors. People seem to think that WWII was a war of good vs. evil, when it was no such thing - we only knew about the Nazi genocide after WWII (in fact, I think the final solution was drawn up in 1941), but we knew about the Soviet death camps long before then.

Most people know nothing of the genocides committed by the British Empire, for example. We also don't bother teaching people about the Imperial Japanese atrocities against the Chinese.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Swanbow
A legacy of the failure to address ''self-determination'', one of the so called 14 points after the First World War. So the theory went, if ethnic groups had their own country and weren't geographically spread, war and ethnic tension would be less likely. In the case of Yugoslavia, sadly they were right.

Not really. The "ancient hatreds" idea that ethnic conflict is inevitable, despite being popular with politicians, is pretty much discredited in actual studies of ethnic conflict, especially with regard to Yugoslavia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending