The Student Room Group

Is the EPQ dissertation worth doing?

I'm considering doing the EPQ next year and I was wondering if Unis actually took it seriously? Everything I've heard is positive, but I'm not so sure
Original post by AdamB17
I'm considering doing the EPQ next year and I was wondering if Unis actually took it seriously? Everything I've heard is positive, but I'm not so sure

What are you applying for? Some unis will accept it instead of an additional AS and some won't be bothered. You'll need to look into the unis you're considering and seeing what they think of them individually.
Reply 2
A few universities actually lower your A-level requirements if you achieve a high grade in the EPQ. I believe both Lancaster and Exeter do this. Many will also take this qualification into consideration where you've narrowly missed your required grades for entry too.

Personally, I found that it was great qualification to do because it didn't take up time in the same way A-levels did (no revision or exams to worry about), it was completely orientated around a subject you could chose, and it still awards UCAS points. I would only recommend it if you're doing 3 A-levels and no AS in your second year though, as five courses could frazzle you!

Quick Reply

Latest