The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Can anyone in Constantine give their opinion on the college?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone at York that goes to Constantine could share their thoughts and experiences about the college? From my research it looks really nice but that's mainly based off of what the York website tells me. Being really new it doesn't have the solid foundations of other colleges, and I'm wondering does that affect the social side, or the student-staff relationship at all. I'm not particularly fussed by sports or music.

Basically, can I get an insider's opinion that could either respond or DM me about it?
Original post by Kitta
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone at York that goes to Constantine could share their thoughts and experiences about the college? From my research it looks really nice but that's mainly based off of what the York website tells me. Being really new it doesn't have the solid foundations of other colleges, and I'm wondering does that affect the social side, or the student-staff relationship at all. I'm not particularly fussed by sports or music.

Basically, can I get an insider's opinion that could either respond or DM me about it?

Hi there,

Hopefully some of our students have already got in touch by DM or may reply to this soon, but in the meantime you might find it useful to read some of these student reviews of Constantine: https://www.studentcrowd.com/hall-l1008192-s1044895-constantine-college-the_university_of_york-heslington

It's worth remembering that Constantine will be entering its third year in September, so I don't think you need to worry too much about it being new. By the time you arrive, there will be lots of students who have been building the college community during their entire time at the University - and our students are really the ones who shape the college experience! You can always get involved and arrange events too, if that's what you're into.

Hope that's a help!

Thanks,
Alice
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Hopefully some of our students have already got in touch by DM or may reply to this soon, but in the meantime you might find it useful to read some of these student reviews of Constantine: https://www.studentcrowd.com/hall-l1008192-s1044895-constantine-college-the_university_of_york-heslington

It's worth remembering that Constantine will be entering its third year in September, so I don't think you need to worry too much about it being new. By the time you arrive, there will be lots of students who have been building the college community during their entire time at the University - and our students are really the ones who shape the college experience! You can always get involved and arrange events too, if that's what you're into.

Hope that's a help!

Thanks,
Alice

Nothing from anyone yet! Thank you for responding :smile:! I'm getting a lot of mixed messages on the website however, and unsure of what to believe! It's clean, it's not clean, It's a great social place, it's an awful social place, it's got great internet, the internet sucks. Every single point is contradicted by everyone - this college certainly divides opinion!
Original post by Kitta
Nothing from anyone yet! Thank you for responding :smile:! I'm getting a lot of mixed messages on the website however, and unsure of what to believe! It's clean, it's not clean, It's a great social place, it's an awful social place, it's got great internet, the internet sucks. Every single point is contradicted by everyone - this college certainly divides opinion!

You'll find similar contradictions for all our colleges, I'm afraid! In terms of social activities, it really all depends on how much you get involved in college life. There will be lots of events in the first term to help you meet people and make friends, but then it's up to you to get out there and keep meeting people - if that's what you want to do! Other people are happy to make great friends with their flat or block mates, and give some of the college events a miss.

The internet does vary depending on block but they're working to improve it in the blocks where the signal struggles to get through certain barriers. The cleaning service is standard across the college and most of the university, so I think that might just be a matter of personal opinion :smile:

Thanks,
Alice
Hi! I'm a second year student who lived in Constantine last year, but I'm still very involved with Constantine now. The accommodation is great- it's new, clean, and very modern, and we have a great social space called The Forum with gaming consoles, TVs, computers, a pool table, and a ping pong table. As far as socializing goes, there are events on every week! Every Monday there is a free food event, and the activities and events chairs are always putting on things. Recently we've had a cookie making workshop, a bar crawl, an acoustic night, and a cultural celebration. Do you have any more specific questions?
Reply 5
Original post by ThomasUnderwood
Hi! I'm a second year student who lived in Constantine last year, but I'm still very involved with Constantine now. The accommodation is great- it's new, clean, and very modern, and we have a great social space called The Forum with gaming consoles, TVs, computers, a pool table, and a ping pong table. As far as socializing goes, there are events on every week! Every Monday there is a free food event, and the activities and events chairs are always putting on things. Recently we've had a cookie making workshop, a bar crawl, an acoustic night, and a cultural celebration. Do you have any more specific questions?

Is Hes East mostly law students? Thinking of applying there as I'll be studying law.
Do you interact with the post grads?
And how is the internet?
Hi :smile:
Long post - so brace yourselves! Sorry!

I'm a current Constantine first year. I really enjoy it and as far as I'm aware the staff/student relationship isn't affected. The accommodation is definitely the nicest! Langwith bedrooms are similar to ours but the kitchen and living space is bigger for us, plus we get sofas and TVs!

I have friends in all the colleges that are based on Hes East, and in all honesty, apart from freshers week, your college doesn't have any bearing on the social side of things. The college organises events each week that you can go to, and every so often there are nights out too. Of course in freshers week there's a big focus on 'college spirit' and there's some friendly rivalry on the college based club nights, but after freshers, you tend to go out with your flat or your coursemates, and what college you're in doesn't have an impact, it's who your friends are!

In terms of placement, I know Hes East is described as a 'post-apocalyptic wasteland', and it is fairly quiet, but the simplicity and modern-ness of it is appealing to me. The lakes are quite pretty and at night there's so many cute rabbits that come out! Constantine is on the very edge, and it's the closest to the gym if that's what you're into. It's a 2 minute walk (if that) away from the Glasshouse, which is the bar on Hes East (It's a nice environments and it's nice if you're looking to casually meet up with people for drinks and a meal. It's cheap too!). I study Film and TV, so it's a 5 minute walk from my lectures, which is super convenient.

In terms of getting to Hes West/The Library/Town - The other campus and the library is probably a 10-15 minute walk away, and its a couple of minutes by bus - super quick. The bus stop is right by the college, and the buses are generally regular. Town is a 15 minute bus journey, which is nice too. Of course there are no shops on Hes East but Nisa isn't far and if you need something in a hurry the garage at the top of the road is a little walk away. It's also a bonus on nights out that we get on the bus first as you're always guaranteed a seat. The bus is packed by the time it reaches Derwent.

We have cleaners that come in once a week to do the shared kitchen, and once a month to do your bathroom if you're ensuite, or once a week if you're shared (or it could be every couple of days, I'm not too sure) - so the flat's are clean if the residents are! The outdoor areas are clean too in terms of no litter etc.

All in all I genuinely love being a part of this college. I know other people have different opinions of it but this is just me :smile:

Sorry for the ridiculously long post but I hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Latest