The Student Room Group

Do you pay for Uni?

Just wondering how many people pay for uni themselves (or will if you have a student loan). Do you also pay for accommodation, whether paying your parents or rent or whatever?

I'm currently living with my parents, doing a part time Uni course, and working full time. I have my uni fees on a student loan, and pay my parents £100/month, I'm sure an increase is imminent though, as people keep telling my parents I should be paying at least 10% of my monthly salary... meaning it should more than double.

I keep telling them that I'm a student, but they don't really accept it! I know I should be paying more, but I've just paid £10K for a new car, and £3.5K on my train ticket, and will have a £17K student loan to repay soon!

Do you pay anything? Do your parents pay?

I've just turned 20, and am under the impression most people's parents are paying for their uni and rent.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LewisL
Just wondering how many people pay for uni themselves (or will if you have a student loan). Do you also pay for accommodation, whether paying your parents or rent or whatever?

I'm currently living with my parents, doing a part time Uni course, and working full time. I have my uni fees on a student loan, and pay my parents £100/month, I'm sure an increase is imminent though, as people keep telling my parents I should be paying at least 10% of my monthly salary... meaning it should more than double.

I keep telling them that I'm a student, but they don't really accept it! I know I should be paying more, but I've just paid £10K for a new car, and £3.5K on my train ticket, and will have a £17K student loan to repay soon!

I've just turned 20, and am under the impression most people's parents are paying for their uni and rent.

No longer a student, but I took out a tuition fee loan & maintenance loan and my parents gave me money to make up the shortfall.
Reply 2
Original post by LewisL

My mum throws me £20 every now and then when I'm struggling just before my next loan payment but apart from that I pay it all myself. I get my tuition fees paid by the loan obviously and then I get the maintenance grant as well. Sometimes I get a bit of money from the hardship fund to help me out as well.
Reply 3
Original post by LewisL

My experience and from speaking with friends is that most people's parents paid little to nothing.
Reply 4
My daddy doesn't help me out at all with uni costs, he simply can't afford it. I have student loans and then bursaries from my uni to help me out.
My parents didn't give me any money for uni at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LewisL

My loan (and grant) covers my rent so I don't have to worry about it.

So you splashed out 10k on a car AND you pay for a yearly train ticket? How that work?
Original post by LewisL

everyone's financial situation varies due to a number of factors such as student finance amount, parental support and income and parental expectations.

I personally pay for everything through the student finance I get while living away for uni, and on top of that send my mum money when she needs it. But my situation is on one end of the extreme. Others may have everything paid for by parents, others a middle ground and many have to work to be able to afford their rent and living costs if their parents can't or won't help them.
Reply 8
Original post by LewisL

I am 21 and started uni this year. my dad gave me £1800 at the beginning of the year, that's the difference between maximum student loan and what I get due to what my dads salary is
Reply 9
Original post by cherryred90s
My loan (and grant) covers my rent so I don't have to worry about it.

So you splashed out 10k on a car AND you pay for a yearly train ticket? How that work?

I have to drive to the train station?
Reply 10
My parents pay my rent but the rest is on the load. I think it massively depends on situation to situation and person to person so you can't really assume that the majoirty are doing one thing or another.

Sounds like you've got a decent deal at the moment though if you're earning £2k a month and only paying £100 in rent.
I'll be paying for university - or, rather, I'll be getting a loan and then paying it back.

Support from my parents is out of the question.
When I stayed in Halls, the majority of my friends had their parents paying for their tuition fees.
Original post by donutaud15
My parents didn't give me any money for uni at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get by out of curiosity?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
How did you get by out of curiosity?

Student finance and job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here in the UK the majority of students have fees paid by the taxpayer (student loans).
No, I live in Scotland so it's paid for by SAAS
Can't believe that they have scrapped the maintenance grant though, this will be quite detrimental to some upcoming undergrads unfortunately. :frown:
Original post by LewisL

I don't pay for uni but I pay for most of my accomodation and living standards as I do not have a student overdraft or a maintenance grant. I could contribute alot to my student loan but I don't see the point.

My parents pay for everything but I think i'm better off than most students unless they work.
Original post by schmuur
I am 21 and started uni this year. my dad gave me £1800 at the beginning of the year, that's the difference between maximum student loan and what I get due to what my dads salary is

Don't waste that money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending