The Student Room Group

Spotting every day on the pill

I started taking the progesterone only pill 3 weeks ago, it's supposed to stop or reduce your periods but for the last 2 weeks I've been spotting a reasonable amount every day. I'm going through pads on a daily basis and it's not present but I don't know if I should weather it and see if it improves or try another contraceptive method. Is this regual spotting normal?
They do take a few cycles to settle down, although they won't "stop" your periods completely. Once you take your placebo pills/the week break you'll have a lighter period than usual.

I've been on Evra for 9 years and occasionally spot if I skip a period. It's normal and will regulate.

If you're majorly concerned or the blood amount is almost like a period, talk to your Dr. Sometimes they don't suit individuals.
With the POP you don't take a week off, therefore it is not certain that it will stop your period. It can prolong, make them irregular or stop them. It won't stop them immediately you need to give it a while to settle. I've been on this kind of pill for 7 months now and my periods are short, and once or twice a month but very regular. Give it time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KiwiDream
With the POP you don't take a week off, therefore it is not certain that it will stop your period. It can prolong, make them irregular or stop them. It won't stop them immediately you need to give it a while to settle. I've been on this kind of pill for 7 months now and my periods are short, and once or twice a month but very regular. Give it time

Posted from TSR Mobile

is it ok to have no periods at all? the last period i had stopped in late october, and since then i just had bit of brown discharge that looked like old blood for a few days. no proper periods. I know I'm not pregnant as i took a test just apparently its not safe to go 6 months without a period or something?
Original post by Anonymous
is it ok to have no periods at all? the last period i had stopped in late october, and since then i just had bit of brown discharge that looked like old blood for a few days. no proper periods. I know I'm not pregnant as i took a test just apparently its not safe to go 6 months without a period or something?

Perfectly okay! I think if you're not on any form of contraception it's not safe but since the pill etc can change your periods it's perfectly okay! That's what my doctor told me anyways. For you're worried go see a doctor but I've always been reassured if there's no period and you're not pregnant then it's perfectly fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by KiwiDream
Perfectly okay! I think if you're not on any form of contraception it's not safe but since the pill etc can change your periods it's perfectly okay! That's what my doctor told me anyways. For you're worried go see a doctor but I've always been reassured if there's no period and you're not pregnant then it's perfectly fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the old brown blood an indication that you're not covered by the pill and need to use other contraception?
Original post by Anonymous
Is the old brown blood an indication that you're not covered by the pill and need to use other contraception?

Not at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest