The Student Room Group

Career Complexity

Hi people :smile:

So I'm a psychology student in university and don't get me wrong, stressful **** aside, I love it. But it's not what I want to do. I thought it was but it was never my dream career you know. I want to be an actor. A stage actor, in musical theatre. And also a voice actor in animated stuff, like any animated stuff. Movies, video games, the like. That's a far stretch from my current studies but yeah, that's my dream and it's what I really want to do with my life. Except I'm really academic and even though I'm not pressured into prestigious education or anything, (it was all my choice), I still feel like if I "came out" as an aspiring actor, I would just get ridiculed and get told to aspire for a real job or something. I mean I am making my family proud as it is. Which is good. But as much I like it, it's not the real deal. I want to be happy and reach out for my goals. How do I inform my family of this twist in career paths? Like, how do I "come out" in this way? I ****ed up my sexuality and gender coming outs already XD But I want to do it properly this time. Any advice is appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why do you feel the need to announce it to your family?

Why not just continue with your studies and join the university acting/drama/musical theatre/whatever society, or some local am dram stuff in your area. It sounds as if you haven't done much acting, so you should probably practice and get some experience before you go around annoucing your new life goal.
Original post by OPSthrowaway
Why do you feel the need to announce it to your family?

Why not just continue with your studies and join the university acting/drama/musical theatre/whatever society, or some local am dram stuff in your area. It sounds as if you haven't done much acting, so you should probably practice and get some experience before you go around annoucing your new life goal.

I've already done plenty of acting experience though.

I also have plenty of musical experience too.

I did choir in primary school, choir in secondary school, a performing arts programme in secondary school, drama club in college and now I run musical theatre society in university. I've also played piano for several years. I also joined a theatre company a few months back and I am considering joining specific musical theatre classes in an arts academy kind of place soon. So I definitely have the experience, and I assure you this life goal is far from new. I've always wanted to do acting.

I feel the need to tell my family because they will find out some day anyway so why hide it from them? They'll want to know what I want to do with my degree and tbh I don't really know myself because I enjoy studying it, I just don't want to further it post-uni. So that's my problem you see- convincing them that acting is what I really want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending