The Student Room Group

Scared to go on the motorway?

Ive been driving only 7 months and the 1 things i canot grasp is 3 lane massive roundabouts. Im not actually scared of the motorway or slip road itself, but its the roundabouts that come with it. Was your first time on a motorway scarey and did anyone beep you? I cant stand big roundabouts ESPECIALLY ones with no traffic lights. My judgement is terrible but other than that... Im a wonderful driver :smile: does a satnav help alot when driving to areas you have never been? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ive been driving for 7 months too, usually the sat nav helps tell me which lane to be in but sometime it messes up so i just end up driving in the middle and hope for the best hahaha. Im still quite a hopeless driver lolol
Motorways don't have roundabouts on them, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. Do you mean roundabouts at the top of slip roads? I've been driving a really long time (since 2002) and I don't recall encountering any massive 3 lane roundabouts without any traffic lights, and I drive on motorways all over the place very regularly. Last year alone I drove to Teesside, Eastbourne, Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Blackpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Barnsley, Wakefield, Leicester, Lancaster, Manchester, Bolton, York, West Midlands, Ripon, Doncaster, Castleford, Rotherham, Bakewell, Whitby, Wigan, and probably a few more places I've forgotten. I honestly can't say I came across a roundabout like the one you're describing.

To answer your other questions, yes, my first time on a motorway was terrifying (but I don't think anyone beeped at me), and yes Sat Navs are insanely useful!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Motorways don't have roundabouts on them, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. Do you mean roundabouts at the top of slip roads? I've been driving a really long time (since 2002) and I don't recall encountering any massive 3 lane roundabouts without any traffic lights, and I drive on motorways all over the place very regularly. Last year alone I drove to Teesside, Eastbourne, Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Blackpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Barnsley, Wakefield, Leicester, Lancaster, Manchester, Bolton, York, West Midlands, Ripon, Doncaster, Castleford, Rotherham, Bakewell, Whitby, Wigan, and probably a few more places I've forgotten. I honestly can't say I came across a roundabout like the one you're describing.

To answer your other questions, yes, my first time on a motorway was terrifying (but I don't think anyone beeped at me), and yes Sat Navs are insanely useful!

Im talking before you enter a motorway theres usually a big roundabout to help traffic from differet areas flow. Also when ur leaving a dual carriageway there may be another roundabout. Its because every dual carriageway ive been on has a roundabout i automatically assumed motorways have massive roundabouts after leaving the slip road to help traffic flow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If you are nervous about selecting the correct lane, there are sat navs that have lane guidance to help you. Of course, it is usually well signposted and written on the floor.
Original post by sabrinaa1234
Im talking before you enter a motorway theres usually a big roundabout to help traffic from differet areas flow. Also when ur leaving a dual carriageway there may be another roundabout. Its because every dual carriageway ive been on has a roundabout i automatically assumed motorways have massive roundabouts after leaving the slip road to help traffic flow

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's often a roundabout at the top of sliproads. If it's a big one, it'll have traffic lights.
Reply 6
Ive been driving only 7 months and the 1 things i canot grasp is 3 lane massive roundabouts. Im not actually scared of the motorway or slip road itself, but its the roundabouts that come with it. Was your first time on a motorway scarey and did anyone beep you? I cant stand big roundabouts ESPECIALLY ones with no traffic lights. My judgement is terrible but other than that... Im a wonderful driver :smile: does a satnav help alot when driving to areas you have never been? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is an oxymoron. You have been driving seven months, to say you are a wonderful driver is a bit preemptive, especially if your judgment is terrible. You should get motorway driving lessons if you are that nervous or wear P plates.

Sat Nav can help but it can also distract you when you are inexperienced.

Obviously he means the roundabouts which lead to motorway slip roads.

The one by myself which merges onto the M4 from Cardiff has a 3 lane roundabout, coming from certain directions it has part time traffic lights, from other directions it has nothing at all.
if nervous, rather than change lane, continue around and try again.

it's not a sin and nobody will know/care. It's better than straddling two lanes and getting tooted
look at the sign as you leave the motorway so that you have an idea of left/straight/or right to get into lane

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 lane roundabouts for the most part are, left lane for first exit, middle lane for 2nd exit, right lane for anything beyond that. It's the ones with traffic lights that require more thinking because there are numerous lane changes, though once you've done a few it's quite easy to predict which lanes you'll need based on where you're exiting.

As for motorways, just take it easy if it's your first time. You've done slip roads in your lessons on to dual carriageways - exactly the same thing, check your mirrors, if it's clear then move over, if not then slow down or stop (though most people are courteous enough to make way for you so you mostly won't need to stop, and even if someone isn't moving out of the way then ease off the gas and drop in behind them as they pass you if there's room). If you're nervous about weaving in and out of traffic, then don't - just stay in the left lane the whole time, nobody can beep you for driving slowly, you're not even in their way as you're in what's often referred to as the slow lane. Though, my best mate got beeped by a lorry driver on his first time on a two-lane motorway, we were quite bemused as to what for at first but I came to the conclusion that since it was clearly a foreign lorry the driver must have forgotten where he was and mistakenly thought the left lane was the overtaking lane :lol:
OP its no wonder you find it scary. Motorways are scary places. To build your confidence go driving at night or early Sunday morning when there is little traffic about. Remember the golden rule, if in doubt,dont..
Original post by WoodyMKC
3 lane roundabouts for the most part are, left lane for first exit, middle lane for 2nd exit, right lane for anything beyond that. It's the ones with traffic lights that require more thinking because there are numerous lane changes, though once you've done a few it's quite easy to predict which lanes you'll need based on where you're exiting.

As for motorways, just take it easy if it's your first time. You've done slip roads in your lessons on to dual carriageways - exactly the same thing, check your mirrors, if it's clear then move over, if not then slow down or stop (though most people are courteous enough to make way for you so you mostly won't need to stop, and even if someone isn't moving out of the way then ease off the gas and drop in behind them as they pass you if there's room). If you're nervous about weaving in and out of traffic, then don't - just stay in the left lane the whole time, nobody can beep you for driving slowly, you're not even in their way as you're in what's often referred to as the slow lane. Though, my best mate got beeped by a lorry driver on his first time on a two-lane motorway, we were quite bemused as to what for at first but I came to the conclusion that since it was clearly a foreign lorry the driver must have forgotten where he was and mistakenly thought the left lane was the overtaking lane :lol:

Thanks for the advice but im not scared to drive/enter a motorway. I just need to build my confidence on 3 lane roundabouts with mulitiple exits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sw651
That is an oxymoron. You have been driving seven months, to say you are a wonderful driver is a bit preemptive, especially if your judgment is terrible. You should get motorway driving lessons if you are that nervous or wear P plates.

Sat Nav can help but it can also distract you when you are inexperienced.

Lol ok not wonderful but not bad. And its not the motorway itself, but the usual 3 lane muliti exit weirdly shaped massive roundabouts that you will most likely encounter either after or before the motorway. Il get a satnave with lane guidence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Basically, when at the roundabout, blast some Tupac, put your car in neutral and build up the revs so people notice you.
Do not Indicate and once you see the light is amber put your foot down on the accelerator and quickly shift the gear to drive, this should result in some wheelspin after which everyone will be too busy protecting themselves from you. This should give you enough time to swerve through traffic and overtake everyone to get onto the slip-road as desired. Once on the slip road floor the accelerator so that you join the motorway at at-least 70-80mph. Once you join, cut through immediately and get onto the fastest lane, From there on you should drive at a minimum of 90mph and upto a maximum of 140mph in dry conditions or 110mph if its wet. Remember to constantly police the fast lane by flashing anyone driving slower than 95mph, tailgating them until they move out of the way. Hope this helps.
Original post by PPF
Basically, when at the roundabout, blast some Tupac, put your car in neutral and build up the revs so people notice you.
Do not Indicate and once you see the light is amber put your foot down on the accelerator and quickly shift the gear to drive, this should result in some wheelspin after which everyone will be too busy protecting themselves from you. This should give you enough time to swerve through traffic and overtake everyone to get onto the slip-road as desired. Once on the slip road floor the accelerator so that you join the motorway at at-least 70-80mph. Once you join, cut through immediately and get onto the fastest lane, From there on you should drive at a minimum of 90mph and upto a maximum of 140mph in dry conditions or 110mph if its wet. Remember to constantly police the fast lane by flashing anyone driving slower than 95mph, tailgating them until they move out of the way. Hope this helps.

Thanks i will definately try it! But instead of tupac, il go for some drizzy drake

Posted from TSR Mobile
instead of tupac, il go for some drizzy drake

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't advise, this would have the opposite effect and people are likely to cut you up and make your life hell. You need to look gangsta, not beta AF :wink:
:biggrin:
Original post by PPF
Thanks for the advice but im not scared to drive/enter a motorway. I just need to build my confidence on 3 lane roundabouts with mulitiple exits

Posted from TSR Mobile

Practise makes perfect. Drive on a few big roundabouts at 4 am. Do your long journeys at such off peak times whenever you can. Over time build it up so that you can cope with them during rush hours.

You are right to be cautious on them as they are increased risk places.
But caution can be taken too far.

Don't worry if you get in the wrong lane and end up taking the wrong exit sometimes. Better to be safe and late than risky and on time. Just allow for possible increased journey time and distance.

Millions of other motorists negotiate big roundabouts safely every day. If they can do it, you can too.
Reply 18

There's a lot of stinkers of towns in there I feel sorry for you.

Including my homeplace
Reply 19
Original post by xDron3
There's a lot of stinkers of towns in there I feel sorry for you.

Including my homeplace

Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Practise makes perfect. Drive on a few big roundabouts at 4 am. Do your long journeys at such off peak times whenever you can. Over time build it up so that you can cope with them during rush hours.

You are right to be cautious on them as they are increased risk places.
But caution can be taken too far.

Don't worry if you get in the wrong lane and end up taking the wrong exit sometimes. Better to be safe and late than risky and on time. Just allow for possible increased journey time and distance.

Millions of other motorists negotiate big roundabouts safely every day. If they can do it, you can too.

Thread is three years old lads.

Latest

Trending

Trending