The Student Room Group

I'm 18 but parents are still too strict?NEED ADVICE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thecaramelcat
See we actually stayed lowkey all through the first year, and recently i told my parents. yeah luckily he understands :':wink: haha, i was applying for aldi last night!

that's sweet of him :smile:
ah cool! :tongue: see you got this dont worry
as long as your dependent on your parents you cant afford to piss them off! :/
Original post by donutaud15
That can backfire badly (talking from experience)

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah it worked for us last year, but now my dad is watching my every move its ridiculous
Original post by z33
that's sweet of him :smile:
ah cool! :tongue: see you got this dont worry
as long as your dependent on your parents you cant afford to piss them off! :/

but i need my freedom mannn ;__; its not even like im failing my subjects or doing drugs or any of that stuff! I understand the whole fear of pregnancies - ive got that covered as im on the implant. but they dont know that or the fact im active :///
Reply 23
but i need my freedom mannn ;__; its not even like im failing my subjects or doing drugs or any of that stuff! I understand the whole fear of pregnancies - ive got that covered as im on the implant. but they dont know that or the fact im active :///

oh don't tell them that nope!!!!
yeah trust me i understand you and the restrictions but you gotta do it to get your freedom
if you dont tell them you've 'broken up' and focus on your work you may never get that freedom!
do it for you and for your bf and once your out of their house and into yours you can do as you please and no one can tell you otherwise - true freedom!!
but you gotta work hard okay? you can do it :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
you're gonna hate me, but im in the same boat and ive come to a realisation that you're just gonna wait till youre older to do what you want

noooo i refuse! i spoke to a teen housing organisation thing, and because my dad was threatening to hurt me, she said i could move out. but im not sure if thats best in the long run? ive gotta wait until next year to go to uni and tbh i dont feel safe, and my anxiety doesnt help at all
yeah it worked for us last year, but now my dad is watching my every move its ridiculous

My parents eventually found out. Hard to keep a secret when you live with parents.

I don't really have any advice (apart from go to uni or move out) but I was in your situation a while ago and it somehow worked out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z33
oh don't tell them that nope!!!!
yeah trust me i understand you and the restrictions but you gotta do it to get your freedom
if you dont tell them you've 'broken up' and focus on your work you may never get that freedom!
do it for you and for your bf and once your out of their house and into yours you can do as you please and no one can tell you otherwise - true freedom!!
but you gotta work hard okay? you can do it :wink:

sigh, i shall try it - thanks for your help! ^_^ but how do i manage the threats of being physically hurt and stuff? it gets me so panicked it can last for days
Reply 27
Out of interest , what race are you and what race is your bf?

I agree with the above posters in that you will have to wait until you are older and financially independent. Unfortunately, it is only then you can do what you want and date who you want.

Perhaps try to ask why your parents specifically don't like this boy. Do they really know enough about him in order to pass a negative (or positive) judgement? Try to convince them to meet him in order for you both to prove he is a good partner.
My parents eventually found out. Hard to keep a secret when you live with parents.

I don't really have any advice (apart from go to uni or move out) but I was in your situation a while ago and it somehow worked out

Posted from TSR Mobile

i may consider uni but i'll have to wait till next year and im not sure if i can handle that bc of my anxiety issues. is moving out a bit extreme or reasonable???
Original post by STLJA
Out of interest , what race are you and what race is your bf?

I agree with the above posters in that you will have to wait until you are older and financially independent. Unfortunately, it is only then you can do what you want and date who you want.

Perhaps try to ask why your parents specifically don't like this boy. Do they really know enough about him in order to pass a negative (or positive) judgement? Try to convince them to meet him in order for you both to prove he is a good partner.

I'm black and my boyfriend is white. they met him last year and didnt like him - especially my dad. My boyfriend lives on his own due to having a rough upbring with his dad. My dad doesnt like him because he dated a girl from a "broken home" who was also white and it didnt end well + he experienced racism from her relatives.

My boyfriend and I accept our differences and are totally fine. i met his parents a few weeks ago and they said i can sleep over whenever and we get along very well (my parents dont know that i met his parents)
Original post by STLJA

This could go horrifically wrong especially as OP's parents went the opposite way of what she's expecting them to do

i may consider uni but i'll have to wait till next year and im not sure if i can handle that bc of my anxiety issues. is moving out a bit extreme or reasonable???

No it's not extreme. But you need money to do that or move in with your partner if he can support you while looking for work (latter option proceed with caution)

Sadly until you are not under your parents control then your life is not your own

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chikane
Try retail like Primark maybe they usually have high staff turnover. Save as much as you can while working so you won't be financially dependent on them then leave.

I've tried and failed them. thing is, ive no issue with getting interviews, but passing them i suck at. my anxiety gets the better of me and just makes everything flop
Reply 32
sigh, i shall try it - thanks for your help! ^_^ but how do i manage the threats of being physically hurt and stuff? it gets me so panicked it can last for days

well remember you can always talk to the police if you think they're actually gonna hurt you
talk about it with your teachers too, now that you're 18 i don't think they'd have to report everything (not sure though don't quote me on this) and they'll treat you like an adult and give you some advice, cut you some slack with the work and hopefully make things easier for you to deal with
go to the doctors for your panic attacks as well and talk to them about this too they'll be able to help with that and maybe refer you to a professional, again it's all confidential

but remember if they do try to hurt you dont be afraid to call 999

good luck :smile:
This could go horrifically wrong especially as OP's parents went the opposite way of what she's expecting them to do

No it's not extreme. But you need money to do that or move in with your partner if he can support you while looking for work (latter option proceed with caution)

Sadly until you are not under your parents control then your life is not your own

Posted from TSR Mobile

;_; ugh. the lady i spoke to said im able to get benefits if i move out and do the lodging scheme thingy? but tbh, i think uni may be a safer and better option, but having said that i dont feel safe most of the time due to the threats and attitude i receive
Original post by z33
well remember you can always talk to the police if you think they're actually gonna hurt you
talk about it with your teachers too, now that you're 18 i don't think they'd have to report everything (not sure though don't quote me on this) and they'll treat you like an adult and give you some advice, cut you some slack with the work and hopefully make things easier for you to deal with
go to the doctors for your panic attacks as well and talk to them about this too they'll be able to help with that and maybe refer you to a professional, again it's all confidential

but remember if they do try to hurt you dont be afraid to call 999

good luck :smile:

i was suggested that but i dont want to end up giving my dad a criminal record (the lady said its classed as domestic abuse etc). I'll talk to the teachers and my doctor too. thanks so much for your help ^_^
Reply 35
I'm black and my boyfriend is white. they met him last year and didnt like him - especially my dad. My boyfriend lives on his own due to having a rough upbring with his dad. My dad doesnt like him because he dated a girl from a "broken home" who was also white and it didnt end well + he experienced racism from her relatives.

My boyfriend and I accept our differences and are totally fine. i met his parents a few weeks ago and they said i can sleep over whenever and we get along very well (my parents dont know that i met his parents)

I believe your dad may have a bitter attitude towards all white people in "broken homes" due to his horrible experiences in the past with his ex white gf. You need to try to reason with your dad if this is the case. Just because the white girl he dated had a broken home and had racist relatives does not mean you should be cut off from dating white people from that background in general.

My gf is in a very similar situation to you. She is Indian and I am black. I am not from a broken home or anything like that. Her parents are just plain racist smh.
Hey guysss,
I turned 18 in december but my parents are still ridiculously strict..if anythings, theyre worse. Recently I thought it was a good idea to come clean to my parents that I have a boyfriend (who is of another race) to seem more "mature". Now recently, my dad has been threatening to hurt me physically due to me having anxiety attacks because of HIM saying all of these deluded things saying how i skip college/lessons to see my boyrfriend etc, I'm no longer allowed to hang out with friends in and out of college unless i split up with him, and I'm not allowed to do coursework after college (despite me having exams coming up and they are aware of me being unable to concentrate in the house due to the constant tension and anxiety I have). Literally, they are more concerned with the fact that I'm dating a guy they don't like than the fact my anxiety has worsened and I cant concentrate at home.

Any advice please? u_u (sorry if this was long)

Omg i have a friend in the same situation as you. Her dad wont even let her come to birthday parties because he's worried she'll do something bad even though none of us drink, have boyfriends or even invite guys coz we go to a girls school ahahha
Honestly trying to get into uni is your best option! Apply without them knowing, there's no harm in it, then once you get to somewhere good, they'll be proud of what you have accomplished and may allow you to go!
Original post by STLJA
I believe your dad may have a bitter attitude towards all white people in "broken homes" due to his horrible experiences in the past with his ex white gf. You need to try to reason with your dad if this is the case. Just because the white girl he dated had a broken home and had racist relatives does not mean you should be cut off from dating white people from that background in general.

My gf is in a very similar situation to you. She is Indian and I am black. I am not from a broken home or anything like that. Her parents are just plain racist smh.

yeah i understand he's looking out for me,but its too extreme. not everyone from the same background is the same. Ive tried explaining this to him but he refuses to listen and compromise. it gets to the point where he'll start talking about my boyfriend to me whilst arguing and making all of these rude remarks
Reply 38
i was suggested that but i dont want to end up giving my dad a criminal record (the lady said its classed as domestic abuse etc). I'll talk to the teachers and my doctor too. thanks so much for your help ^_^

Who cares what kinda dad threatens to physically abuse his daughter because of who she likes like wtf ¬_¬
Yeah definitely do! Np :h: Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 39
yeah i understand he's looking out for me,but its too extreme. not everyone from the same background is the same. Ive tried explaining this to him but he refuses to listen and compromise. it gets to the point where he'll start talking about my boyfriend to me whilst arguing and making all of these rude remarks

My gf's mum is the same. Well, just like me, you and your bf are going to have to wait until you are older. When parents are as stubborn and stuck in their ways as your and my gf's parents are then there is nothing you can do until you move out. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending