The Student Room Group

Does the South still have aristocracy

I've recently moved to the South of England, I always got the impression from the news that this was a relatively prosperous area with a tonne of rich folk.

So far though, i've come to realise that most people here are working class and the south is really no different to anywhere else.

I have yet to see any big country estates. Perhaps I am not looking at the right places? Does the aristocracy even exist anymore? I had always thought everyone was rich here but looking around I find myself being more well off than most people here.

Please bare with me. I am not English so I don't really have a clue, just thinking from what I see on tv.
Original post by Frostyjoe
I've recently moved to the South of England, I always got the impression from the news that this was a relatively prosperous area with a tonne of rich folk.

So far though, i've come to realise that most people here are working class and the south is really no different to anywhere else.

I have yet to see any big country estates. Perhaps I am not looking at the right places? Does the aristocracy even exist anymore? I had always thought everyone was rich here but looking around I find myself being more well off than most people here.

Please bare with me. I am not English so I don't really have a clue, just thinking from what I see on tv.

http://www.tatler.com/

if you spend 5 minutes on that website, you will see the British aristocracy is still very much alive.

Most of them still live in the South East (London and the Home Counties), but nobody really lives in Downton Abbey-esque country estates any more, and you're also least likely to find estates in the South East anyway it being the most urbanised region in the country.
Reply 2
Ok thanks for perspective . Just interested, obviously i'm not English and I don't see any aristocracy or even really any rich people. It's very hard to get a sense of how things are as an outsider.
Original post by The Fuhrer
http://www.tatler.com/

if you spend 5 minutes on that website, you will see the British aristocracy is still very much alive.

Most of them still live in the South East (London and the Home Counties), but nobody really lives in Downton Abbey-esque country estates any more, and you're also least likely to find estates in the South East anyway it being the most urbanised region in the country.

There are hundreds of Downton Abbey style estates all over the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have a day trip around Kent, there are some lovely houses around there. Maybe not exactly manors, but lovely nonetheless.

But no, generally speaking we're just like the rest of the UK but slightly less cloudy.
Try the rural south west, rural Yorkshire and also Cheshire (especially between and including alderley edge and Nantwich and also the commuter belt around and including Chester). **** it, all of Cheshire is posh apart from Crewe, Elsmere Port, Runcorn and Macclesfield. There's a few in Kent and the odd areas of the South East North and West of London (the commuter belt really). Windsor is very affluent.

Source: Posh person who does posh things with other posh people
(edited 8 years ago)
As someone who has lived around Portsmouth forever, I can say that there are VERY few 'upper class' areas. If you want to see some rich people, head on over to Poole, the sandbanks area is like the Hollywood hills with the footballer houses and such.

But yeah, I'm not too sure where you got the idea that the south was any richer than the rest of the UK, it's just housing that is a tad more expensive I believe :wink:
Reply 7
It's just because the government is always going on about the "south" etc. Also isn't this where all the celebrities live?

I always thought everyone in places like Kent and Surrey were rich.
Reply 8
Original post by ACJHealy
The upper classes live in the country, and the working class in the cities and suburbs (exc London), more or less. If you're in Portsmouth or the like you won't see them.

definitely
Reply 9
Alright so do they live in places like Hertfordshire and Oxfordshire then? I've tried to look on the train from London to Norwich and I don't see any big houses in the countryside, even around Cambridge.
Reply 10
So basically there's not really any where I live then.
In addition to the above, for those who live in London rather than the countryside, for example, you have to be in very specific areas, such as South Kensington, Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Mayfair, Belgravia, etc, and even then, you'd have to know what to look for, both in terms of houses and people. What I mean is that very often there won't be much difference between the exterior of an intact townhouse in one of those areas and one which has been split into flats. Also, don't forget how much certain flats in the aforementioned areas cost, with those surrounding Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens easily starting at £1.5M or so, for example.
I live in the South West and the poshest person I know is this weird guy in my class who thinks he's really posh even though he's just normal like everyone else it's pretty funny actually the rest of his family have no idea why he's like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I know where tons of these posh estates you're talking about are... it's about knowing the area I guess. But kent is full of nice houses.
I think OP was asking about country estates rather than just expensive houses, you can find those in any city zzz

Yes and no - OP was actually asking whether the south still has aristocracy/rich people, and the country estates were introduced as an example of said wealth. London is in the South. It has rich people who own expensive houses (as in, worth several million pounds easy), and you'd be hard-pressed to say that a good proportion of the people living in townhouses in South Ken aren't aristocratic, for instance.

Otherwise, as some have mentioned above, the home counties and especially Kent (if you know where to look), are good places to find estates.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Although the accents you hear in the South can allude to poshness (having a larf in your plarstic barth), and while the South of England (more the South East) is on average more affluent, more so is the divide between rural (posh) and city (poorer) - with some exceptions.

Obviously large parts of London are posh and some Northern cities contain nouveau-riche (Manchester for one.) And there are some very deprived ex mining villages in Wales.

One main difference is that in the South, the pace of life is faster and people are far more individualistic and rarely know their neighbours (some would call the South 'unfriendly.) While in the North people share cup of tea over fence like, OK so that's a bit stereotypical but Northerners in the UK are generally friendlier. (For those that don't believe me, try going to both Reading and Leeds festivals and see which one you prefer!)
To be aristocratic one requires a title, and, excluding the royal family of course, no current peer lives London or any other city. If you'd like the full list of current peers and their houses, here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_seats_of_English_nobility

Considering I personally know several who do, that doesn't quite hold up. Sure, most have another property elsewhere (ie. their official 'seat'), but I'd dare say that one's primary residence can be considered to be the place they spend the vast majority of their time, not the place registered on a Wikipedia list (or any other public list, for that matter).

Anyway, let's not detract from the main subject of the thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
Fair enough.

:gthumb: Plus, the wiki list seems to be missing all the lords, who are technically aristocracy as well.
Reply 18
Original post by LadyLaw23
Yes and no - OP was actually asking whether the south still has aristocracy/rich people, and the country estates were introduced as an example of said wealth. London is in the South. It has rich people who own expensive houses (as in, worth several million pounds easy), and you'd be hard-pressed to say that a good proportion of the people living in townhouses in South Ken aren't aristocratic, for instance.

Otherwise, as some have mentioned above, the home countries and especially Kent (if you know where to look), are good places to find estates.

I thought the way it was potrayed on the Television that it would be more obvious and out there.

When I watch TV shows from here it always shows big country estates and large houses. Even on shows like the Bake off, they have big country estates. It's really just like back at home, most people are working class with the odd wealthy person.

I thought I would see more wealthy people. It's kind of ironic because i'm better off than most people in my accomodation and that I know.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending