The Student Room Group

Scholes - Has there been a better long passer of the ball?

Pirlo perhaps?

Scroll to see replies

Xavi
Xabi Alonso's up there

What separated Scholes was that he was box-to-box in his prime
Reply 3
In terms of vision, I'd have Alonso over Scholes on a long-range basis. What set Scholes above his peers was his uncanny ability to arrive at the right time in the final third. He had Lampard's knack of being in the right place, Alonso's passing range and vision, a strike not dissimilar to Gerrard's, and a silverware cabinet - at club level - to rival Xavi/Iniesta.
OOZIL!!!
Beckham had a crazy range as well. They made a film about this guy for a reason.

Joe Allen obviously

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glenn Hoddle
Jan Molby
David Beckham
Trevor Brooking
Ronald Koeman
Xabi Alonso

But I had never thought of the long pass as an especially important feature of Scholes's game. Little eyebrows -> lollipop -> big gun.
Reply 8
Original post by jam277
Beckham had a crazy range as well. They made a film about this guy for a reason.

Biggest testament to Beckham's ability was the fact that he worked so hard - and he was famous for that. Obviously, I'm sure footballers are the same these days, but he really was of the opinion that anybody could have been him.

He practised harder than anybody Ferguson had ever seen, apparently, and that professionalism carried over to Real Madrid during the Capello spat following his announcement of moving to LA Galaxy.

Beckham struck a deal ball exceptionally well - but he could also do it to rolling balls, too. He was great at latching onto a pass and taking it down, but was just as good off one touch.

I'll never forgive him for bottling that tackle in the 2002 World Cup which led to Brazil's equaliser, though.
Reply 9
Anyone else noticed that Scholes' perceived ability has increased exponentially since he retired? As have the number of bull**** meme's online with fake quotes from great players about how they want to nosh scholes off and have his children? As has the number of press appearances, he's on tv a lot for a shy guy really....
Reply 11
Original post by Mackay

I'll never forgive him for bottling that tackle in the 2002 World Cup which led to Brazil's equaliser, though.

He said in his autobiography that he thought it was going out of play, and I can believe that

[video="youtube;WzJQjPnfUhs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzJQjPnfUhs[/video]

At 1:00, number 4 only just keeps it in and he came out of nowhere so Beckham didn't know he was there
"I wouldn't mind one bit if he stuck a finger in without permission while I performed felatio on him, so long as he carressed me like he does his 40 yard passes"- Pele talking about Scholes in 203bc in an interview with Jesus
Original post by leinad2012
Anyone else noticed that Scholes' perceived ability has increased exponentially since he retired? As have the number of bull**** meme's online with fake quotes from great players about how they want to nosh scholes off and have his children? As has the number of press appearances, he's on tv a lot for a shy guy really....

He's definitely someone who's getting way more hype and press now he isn't on the field. A brilliant player but they way some people talk about him post-retirement you'd think he was a GOAT.
Original post by Arkasia
He's definitely someone who's getting way more hype and press now he isn't on the field. A brilliant player but they way some people talk about him post-retirement you'd think he was a GOAT.

I genuinely think it was some sort of prank from united fans online like "lol let's see if we can talk so much **** people will genuinely think Scholes was the best midfielder ever". Like, he was a very good player, but the **** fest for him online is cringeworthy
I genuinely think it was some sort of prank from united fans online like "lol let's see if we can talk so much **** people will genuinely think Scholes was the best midfielder ever". Like, he was a very good player, but the **** fest for him online is cringeworthy

It would be interesting to see a poll from now and from 5 years ago, asking to rank Keane, Giggs, and Scholes. I wonder how large the differences would be.
Reply 16

salty

best PL midfielder of all time
Original post by difeo
salty

best PL midfielder of all time

Are we gonna act like Arsenal fans don't do the same about Paddy and Bergkamp
Johnjo Shelvey
Yasuhito Endo.
I'm not kidding.

Quick Reply

Latest