The Student Room Group

Cameron to say face veils need to be removed for officials

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/635929/Burka-ban-UK-Muslim-women-will-have-to-remove-face-veil-for-officials

The veils will have to be removed for security reasons, according to Cameron.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In the article it says

'MUSLIM women should have to remove the burka when officials need to see their faces for security reasons, David Cameron said today as he announced new initiatives to help tackle extremism in the UK.'

'The Prime Minister said it was reasonable for women to be asked to remove the veil in circumstances where facial identification was important - for example in court and during immigration checks.'

Don't get too happy.

No a total ban would be wrong

HOWEVER I see no issues with people refusing to talk to these people if they are not willing to show their faces.

SO for example I can see no issue with shops banning them etc...

A conversation is a 2 way deal if one party is not prepared to play by the rules then fine that is their choice but in this case it should be OK for the other party to not play either.

As I say it's a choice but they must accept this choice can have negative consequences
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Well they should remove it if it is required for security reasons. Allah looks at the intention,
Original post by mkap
In the article it says

'MUSLIM women should have to remove the burka when officials need to see their faces for security reasons, David Cameron said today as he announced new initiatives to help tackle extremism in the UK.'

'The Prime Minister said it was reasonable for women to be asked to remove the veil in circumstances where facial identification was important - for example in court and during immigration checks.'

Don't get too happy.

And in shops with CCTV

and getting on the bus if you have a photo bus pass

Or buying certain products that are age restricted

The list goes on
Reply 5
Isn't a burka the full shabang? I thought the niqab was the head garment?
Reply 6
I think that is a reasonable. I don't see why a complete ban is necessary, people should be able to wear what they like, but common sense rules allowing for identification and security are critical.
I thought women who wear the Niqab were already required to remove the face veil for security check (for example at airports) and in court if needed.

And why does that concern you anyway?!
Original post by The Epicurean
I thought women who wear the Niqab were already required to remove the face veil for security check (for example at airports) and in court if needed.

Sadly no they can if needed kick up an awful fuss and sadly most people just give in

But it looks like this will be changing soon
Good. Wish he'd go a step further and ban all faith schools.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce

No, it wouldn't.
Original post by heineken
No, it wouldn't.

Oh yes it would

Look we are better than they are so lets behave like we are.

But as I said it is their choice to wear it it should also be our choice to freely ignore them when they do.

HOWEVER I see no issues with people refusing to talk to these people if they are not willing to show their faces.

A conversation is a 2 way deal if one party is not prepared to play by the rules then fine that is their choice but in this case it should be OK for the other party to not play either.

As I say it's a choice but they must accept this choice can have negative consequences

And why would shops ban them anyway? :s-smilie:
A women has the choice to wear a niqab or burqa, and if she wants to then that's her choice! Why would it concern you if you don't see her face, huh?! This honestly has nothing to do with you or anyone else!
As far as I know, wearing the niqab or burqa is not obligatory in Islam so when it comes to security checks and other needed situations, taking it off for facial identification is totally understandable, but other than that I don't see it as a big deal?!!!
Reply 14
Original post by Bornblue
Good. Wish he'd go a step further and ban all faith schools.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? Faith schools are perfectly acceptable. They can have advantages.

I was at a religious primary school and I found that perfectly fine. It meant that I had to sing hymns.

I was not disadvantaged in any way by attending a faith school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess we should ban phone conversations too right? I mean, according to your 'conversation rules', speaking over the phone takes out the element of face to face contact too.
Original post by mkap
In the article it says

Don't get too happy.

To be asked. It doesn't say that it's reasonable to expect them to comply.
Original post by FluffyCherry
And why would shops ban them anyway? :s-smilie:
A women has the choice to wear a niqab or burqa, and if she wants to then that's her choice! Why would it concern you if you don't see her face, huh?! This honestly has nothing to do with you or anyone else!
As far as I know, wearing the niqab or burqa is not obligatory in Islam so when it comes to security checks and other needed situations, taking it off for facial identification is totally understandable, but other than that I don't see it as a big deal?!!!

If a shop has spent say a few thousand pounds installing CCTV and reply upon seeing people faces to identify any potential issues

AS I say yes they have a choice to wear one and I support this just as I support the choice of a person who refuses to deal with someone who covers their face (as I say a conversation requires 2 people to participate and both should be able to determine how the conversation happens and under what conditions)

Or are you saying only burka wearers have the choice on how they interact with other people and no one else has this right?

'when it comes to security checks and other needed situations, taking it off for facial identification is totally understandable'

So you agree when asked to remove it by say a male bus driver she should without issue so she can be identified and then she can put it back on?
Original post by Whatisanerdeven?
I guess we should ban phone conversations too right? I mean, according to your 'conversation rules', speaking over the phone takes out the element of face to face contact too.

Do they cover their faces when on the phone:biggrin:

(this has made me laugh now have an image of a muslim women taking a dump, the phone ringing then her running around to look for her burka before answering it:biggrin: (add the Benny Hill theme tune and you have some classic comedy right there))

Seems rather an odd thing to do given it's purpose but as I say a phone conversation both parties have agreed on the format (a phone call) the same should apply when dealing with someone face to face.
(edited 8 years ago)
Should be a total ban on all forms of head and face coverings because it's very intimidating, it's a security threat and has no place in this society.

Quick Reply