The Student Room Group

Maastricht 2016/17

I am applying for Maastricht in September. Most the threads here are from years ago so I though I'd make a new one for this years applicants.

I'm applying for Maastricht Science Program and Biomedical sciences. And I have an interview in a couple days.

Any advice would be appreciated or even just knowing who else out there is interested.

Scroll to see replies

Hey!
I'm applying to Maastricht University too but in the International Business programme... So I don't know much about medicine. But show them that PBL really suits you, they really care about that.

Best of luck! And maybe see you next year
Reply 2
Original post by nicodaive
Hey!
I'm applying to Maastricht University too but in the International Business programme... So I don't know much about medicine. But show them that PBL really suits you, they really care about that.

Best of luck! And maybe see you next year

Hi!

I'm applying for IB as well :smile: did you apply also for this program at other unis in the Netherlands?
Hey!
That's nice! I only applied to Maastricht because I really the PBL system and along with rotterdam it seems to have the better reputation. Where did you apply? Have you gotten any responses yet? Where do you want to go?
I've been to Maastricht and found it a lovely place, even though I did a language course at another Dutch university, Utrecht.
Original post by barnetlad
I've been to Maastricht and found it a lovely place, even though I did a language course at another Dutch university, Utrecht.

Yeah, I went there on the open day and it was really nice! You can also travel to many places in Europe
Reply 6
Hey!
That's nice! I only applied to Maastricht because I really the PBL system and along with rotterdam it seems to have the better reputation. Where did you apply? Have you gotten any responses yet? Where do you want to go?

I applied also for IBA at Tilburg University and already got accepted. I'm now struggling to make a decision between these two universities... I visited both of them (and many more universities), compared them, made a lot of research, maybe even too much and that's why I have a problem with deciding... I attended an experience day at Maastricht U. and was intrigued by the PBL. Although I find it really interesting and challenging, I'm not sure if this method is more effective than the "normal" one. I guess it depends on individual preferences.

Maastricht University will start to send emails stating your chances of getting in only from the 1st of March, the official ranking with successful applicants will be published somewhere in June when it comes to the iB course, at least.
Original post by mia8184
I applied also for IBA at Tilburg University and already got accepted. I'm now struggling to make a decision between these two universities... I visited both of them (and many more universities), compared them, made a lot of research, maybe even too much and that's why I have a problem with deciding... I attended an experience day at Maastricht U. and was intrigued by the PBL. Although I find it really interesting and challenging, I'm not sure if this method is more effective than the "normal" one. I guess it depends on individual preferences.

Maastricht University will start to send emails stating your chances of getting in only from the 1st of March, the official ranking with successful applicants will be published somewhere in June when it comes to the iB course, at least.

Yeah, I've heard too that Tillburg is really great. But it is more known for finance and in the Netherlands right? Why didn't you apply to Rotterdam? Yeah you're right, I personally think that PBL can be great for some type of students (the more proactive and dynamic ones) as it can be really bad for some others. It really depends on you and that's why they ask a letter of motivation, to see if PBL suits you. I sent my application to Maastricht yesterday... Did you already sent yours?
Reply 8
Thanks for opening a new thread, I was waiting for an updated version of it as I want to study the European Law programme in Maastricht next year. I have applied and done the matching questionnaire process and received an email saying that they've accepted my questionnaire. I guess I just have to send them my diploma once I have received it in summer :smile: I'm currently finishing my A-levels.
I feel like finding suitable accommodation is going to be quite a challenge for me, but hopefully everything will work out fine
[QUOTE="badee;62445965"]Thanks for opening a new thread, I was waiting for an updated version of it as I want to study the European Law programme in Maastricht next year. I have applied and done the matching questionnaire process and received an email saying that they've accepted my questionnaire. I guess I just have to send them my diploma once I have received it in summer :smile: I'm currently finishing my A-levels.
I feel like finding suitable accommodation is going to be quite a challenge for me, but hopefully everything will work out fine[/QUOTE Nice to hear that! Finding a room is quite easy actually! Look at maastricht's website, they have several sites where you can search for rooms. Look also in Facebook, there is a group called kamer/zimmer/rooms in maastricht or something like that!
Reply 10
Yeah, I've heard too that Tillburg is really great. But it is more known for finance and in the Netherlands right? Why didn't you apply to Rotterdam? Yeah you're right, I personally think that PBL can be great for some type of students (the more proactive and dynamic ones) as it can be really bad for some others. It really depends on you and that's why they ask a letter of motivation, to see if PBL suits you. I sent my application to Maastricht yesterday... Did you already sent yours?

I'm not sure if Tilburg is known for its finance, but I certainly heard that it is not that much recognised on an international level which I think will be the decisive factor in my case.

To be honest, I wanted to apply for EUR first but I saw the requirements and my final Math grade is too low, although my A-levels are quite good, including Math. Secondly, I got the feeling that they as the university itself put on airs a little bit. My personal impression is important to me so I gave up on applying for IBA at this uni. How about you, did you apply for any other uni?

I agree, PBL requires to be dynamic, tell everyone your opinion and be active. I have difficulties with it which I want to overcome and that's also a reason why I find it so challenging to study using the PBL method. Yes, I have sent it two weeks ago or so, now we have to patiently wait until the beginning of March when they start sending emails stating your chances! However, they accept a lot of students for this program (over 600 if I'm not mistaken) so the chances of getting in are I think quite high. The much more bigger difficulty is to maintain yourself because from what I heard the course is demanding and requires systematic learning!
Original post by mia8184
I'm not sure if Tilburg is known for its finance, but I certainly heard that it is not that much recognised on an international level which I think will be the decisive factor in my case.

To be honest, I wanted to apply for EUR first but I saw the requirements and my final Math grade is too low, although my A-levels are quite good, including Math. Secondly, I got the feeling that they as the university itself put on airs a little bit. My personal impression is important to me so I gave up on applying for IBA at this uni. How about you, did you apply for any other uni?

I agree, PBL requires to be dynamic, tell everyone your opinion and be active. I have difficulties with it which I want to overcome and that's also a reason why I find it so challenging to study using the PBL method. Yes, I have sent it two weeks ago or so, now we have to patiently wait until the beginning of March when they start sending emails stating your chances! However, they accept a lot of students for this program (over 600 if I'm not mistaken) so the chances of getting in are I think quite high. The much more bigger difficulty is to maintain yourself because from what I heard the course is demanding and requires systematic learning!

Yup, do you wanna work in the Netherlands or abroad? That will be decisive... By the way, where are you from?
Yeah, I mean you've got to take the rankings with a grain of salt as the criteria are things such as number of students, nobel prizes etc. I mean it's a good sign but teaching and what you learn is much more important. For example I have seen that in Netherlands's rankings Maastricht is better ranked most of the time and students like it more in surveys... so...I have also heard that their campus is not really good. I'd rather do my bachelor in Maastricht and then maybe go to EUR or some top uni in another country. Even though I think I could get into EUR because I have good grades and have lived all aroud the world. You also have more international students in Maastricht.
Yeah, PBL is challenging. But that's what makes it good, you learn vital soft skills. I mean debating, speaking in public, standing for your opinion etc.
It is going to be a long wait! I'm so anxious. Don't be so sure about the chances of getting in, they reject more than half of the applicants (they said that during an open day). They get well over a thousand applications and have like 550 places.I have also heard that is quite demanding but it really depends on people. I know people from my high school that study there and say that it isn't really hard. You just have to study hard and prepare for sessions.
Oh and I almost forgot. I haven't applied to any other uni because I now live in Belgium and I can go to any uni I want. They don't look at your grades, just your diploma. They have good unis but it's hard to stay in as 1/3 or 1/4 of students make it to the second year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
[QUOTE="nicodaive;62446563"]
Original post by badee
Thanks for opening a new thread, I was waiting for an updated version of it as I want to study the European Law programme in Maastricht next year. I have applied and done the matching questionnaire process and received an email saying that they've accepted my questionnaire. I guess I just have to send them my diploma once I have received it in summer :smile: I'm currently finishing my A-levels.
I feel like finding suitable accommodation is going to be quite a challenge for me, but hopefully everything will work out fine[/QUOTE Nice to hear that! Finding a room is quite easy actually! Look at maastricht's website, they have several sites where you can search for rooms. Look also in Facebook, there is a group called kamer/zimmer/rooms in maastricht or something like that!

Thanks, I've already joined that group on facebook :smile: I'm bringing my small dog along, and I really would prefer a studio apartment or something rather than a room. So I'll try to find something more private, dont know :/
Has anyone applied for the UCM programme ?
Reply 14
Yup, do you wanna work in the Netherlands or abroad? That will be decisive... By the way, where are you from?
Yeah, I mean you've got to take the rankings with a grain of salt as the criteria are things such as number of students, nobel prizes etc. I mean it's a good sign but teaching and what you learn is much more important. For example I have seen that in Netherlands's rankings Maastricht is better ranked most of the time and students like it more in surveys... so...I have also heard that their campus is not really good. I'd rather do my bachelor in Maastricht and then maybe go to EUR or some top uni in another country. Even though I think I could get into EUR because I have good grades and have lived all aroud the world. You also have more international students in Maastricht.
Yeah, PBL is challenging. But that's what makes it good, you learn vital soft skills. I mean debating, speaking in public, standing for your opinion etc.
It is going to be a long wait! I'm so anxious. Don't be so sure about the chances of getting in, they reject more than half of the applicants (they said that during an open day). They get well over a thousand applications and have like 550 places.I have also heard that is quite demanding but it really depends on people. I know people from my high school that study there and say that it isn't really hard. You just have to study hard and prepare for sessions.
Oh and I almost forgot. I haven't applied to any other uni because I now live in Belgium and I can go to any uni I want. They don't look at your grades, just your diploma. They have good unis but it's hard to stay in as 1/3 or 1/4 of students make it to the second year.

In general, I plan to get here in the Netherlands only an educational foundation, do my Master's on a top uni in Europe (might be EUR) and afterwards work outside the Netherlands. I'm from Poland, you?

I agree with you when it comes to the rankings. What did you hear about the campus at Maastricht U.? I found it okay, the buildings are quite old but very modern inside which I find is a nice combination, the surroundings are really nice, greenish and there is a newly built sports centre as well. How did it come that you lived all around the world?

Yep, gaining all the soft skills is really important and it's not so easy to get them by only sitting on lectures, so PBL is a big advantage in this case! Okay, I will correct myself, I HOPE I will get in :smile: But even if not, I already have a place for IBA at Tilburg University.
Reply 15
Hi! I'm interested in IB programme as well and I'm also from Poland :smile: I haven't applied yet but I'm going to do that next week. The whole application process isn't fully understandable for me. Especially this decentralised selection procedure.

I understand that both of you have already sent all the documents, including CV and motivation letter?
Reply 16
Original post by tysjj
Hi! I'm interested in IB programme as well and I'm also from Poland :smile: I haven't applied yet but I'm going to do that next week. The whole application process isn't fully understandable for me. Especially this decentralised selection procedure.

I understand that both of you have already sent all the documents, including CV and motivation letter?

Hi!

I will send you a pm :smile:
Original post by FrederickBro

I applied to the UCM program 11 days ago and got an email (4.2.16), confirming my application and informing me that the diploma is being evaluated. This is quite strange because I did apply to the European studies and got an answer in 8 days.
What about you?
Original post by FrederickBro

I did, couple days ago :smile:
hey, i would apply for Maastricht in september to,but i can't find details about where i will send my application my cv and statement. could you please help me! i will appreciate it

thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending