The Student Room Group

Nursing offer.... Change of mind?

Hi, i was given an unconditional offer to study Adult Nursing last year, i deffered my place for Sept 2016 due to personal reasons.

After thinking about the job roles, i now think i am more suited to Midwifery!

Does anyone know if you can switch from nursing to midwifery either before starting or during the first year?

Thanks!
Original post by Sara140213
Hi, i was given an unconditional offer to study Adult Nursing last year, i deffered my place for Sept 2016 due to personal reasons.

After thinking about the job roles, i now think i am more suited to Midwifery!

Does anyone know if you can switch from nursing to midwifery either before starting or during the first year?

Thanks!

If you wanted to switch before starting the course, it is worth contacting the university to check. The entry criteria are usually similar, and they will still be in the interview phase for the Sept 16 entry at the moment, so get in touch with them ASAP. They might still have some spaces!

As for transferring during the first year, it is unlikely. I think some universities still allow people to switch between different branches of nursing at the start, depending on places, but not to midwifery.

You can do a 3 year adult nursing course, and then do an 18 month midwifery conversion still, however I would strongly advise against this, as nursing and midwifery are very different, and you'd be taking a place on the adult nursing course away from someone who only wants to be an adult nurse, whereas you would be using it as a stepping stone to midwifery, and I don't think that is always fair on adult nursing applicants.

I hope that helps!
Reply 2
Thank you for the detailed advice!

I did consider the option of doing the conversion course after, but i would much rather just go straight into midwifery if they allow me to.

I emailed lsbu a couple days ago, but no response yet!. I'll give them a call tomorrow, and see what they say.

Wish me luck!
Thanks again for your advice!
Original post by PaediatricStN
If you wanted to switch before starting the course, it is worth contacting the university to check. The entry criteria are usually similar, and they will still be in the interview phase for the Sept 16 entry at the moment, so get in touch with them ASAP. They might still have some spaces!

As for transferring during the first year, it is unlikely. I think some universities still allow people to switch between different branches of nursing at the start, depending on places, but not to midwifery.

You can do a 3 year adult nursing course, and then do an 18 month midwifery conversion still, however I would strongly advise against this, as nursing and midwifery are very different, and you'd be taking a place on the adult nursing course away from someone who only wants to be an adult nurse, whereas you would be using it as a stepping stone to midwifery, and I don't think that is always fair on adult nursing applicants.

I hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest