The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Russian studies

Has anyone here got an offer, currently studying or previously studied Russian at Sheffield?

I have an offer for Russian and Economics, and would like if I can find people with expierience or in the same position as me!
Reply 1
Original post by SlimShady96
Has anyone here got an offer, currently studying or previously studied Russian at Sheffield?

I have an offer for Russian and Economics, and would like if I can find people with expierience or in the same position as me!

Hi, I study German and Russian at Sheffield!

The Russian course is very fun, albeit very challenging. Don't slack on the vocab. :P If you're a beginner you'll be pushed very hard and very fast and you can expect it to feel a little overwhelming at times, but it's very rewarding and I really love the course. :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by gaebpls
Hi, I study German and Russian at Sheffield!

The Russian course is very fun, albeit very challenging. Don't slack on the vocab. :P If you're a beginner you'll be pushed very hard and very fast and you can expect it to feel a little overwhelming at times, but it's very rewarding and I really love the course. :smile:

I'm not a beginner I'm a native speak but my grammar and writing isn't great, but j know that Sheffield tailors the course to native speakers so that's great!

What year are you in? Have you been to Russia yet?

Also what are you planning to do after your degree?
Hey,

I've got offers to study Economics and Russian at Glasgow and Leeds.

I'm doing A Levels in Maths, Geography and History.

My only experience doing a foreign language is doing German at GCSE, however I also do German as an extra curricular at college.

I think the Russian component will be challenging; I don't know about you but I'm really looking forward to doing it, especially the year abroad.

I think the fact 50% of the degree is Russian means we'll have enough time to perfect our language skills.
Reply 4
Original post by jake4198
Hey,

I've got offers to study Economics and Russian at Glasgow and Leeds.

I'm doing A Levels in Maths, Geography and History.

My only experience doing a foreign language is doing German at GCSE, however I also do German as an extra curricular at college.

I think the Russian component will be challenging; I don't know about you but I'm really looking forward to doing it, especially the year abroad.

I think the fact 50% of the degree is Russian means we'll have enough time to perfect our language skills.

Yeah it's really hard for me to decide, I have offers business economics and some people are telling me to not do Russian and I already know how to speak it which is the main thing, yet some are saying go to Sheffield as it is more prestigeuos...

Why did you choose to do Russian and economics? What interests you a it Russian?

Also what do you plan on doing career wise after your degree?
Original post by SlimShady96
Yeah it's really hard for me to decide, I have offers business economics and some people are telling me to not do Russian and I already know how to speak it which is the main thing, yet some are saying go to Sheffield as it is more prestigeuos...

Why did you choose to do Russian and economics? What interests you a it Russian?

Also what do you plan on doing career wise after your degree?

I really wanted to do a language with my degree; I chose Russian because it's all I've done in A level history - and history has been my favourite subject.

At AS History I did Mao, Stalin and Lenin. This year I'm doing the Cold War.

Having Russian on your degree makes you stand out. Whenever I tell people that's what I'm doing people are often surprised - employers will be too.

Sheffield is a prestigious university and I would recommend doing it too. There's only about 20 people a year graduating in economics and Russian so it'll be a very unique degree.
I've firmed Sheffield for Russian and History :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending