The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Is accommodation on a first come first serve basis?

So the title is pretty much self explanatory. I was just wondering if you apply earlier for accommodation does that mean you get your offer earlier or do all the offers come out at the same time? And will applying early give you a better chance of getting your first choice accommodation? I reeeeallly would not want to get a room i don't like
Reply 1
Original post by cikku
So the title is pretty much self explanatory. I was just wondering if you apply earlier for accommodation does that mean you get your offer earlier or do all the offers come out at the same time? And will applying early give you a better chance of getting your first choice accommodation? I reeeeallly would not want to get a room i don't like

Hi, I applied for halls a few years ago now, so it may have changed slightly. But as far as im aware, it is not given out on a first come first served basis. Practically all 1st year offers are given out after results are released in August. When you apply you put down the band room you would like in preference order, with most people being given their 1st or second choice. I have never heard of anyone being given the room they put as last choice. If you really don't like your room, the accommodation service offers room swaps a few weeks into term.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by cikku

Some unis guarantee accommodation to all first years but if you know what you want, apply sooner rather than later. They don't have unlimited rooms so while you probably will get accommodation, it may not be your first choice if you hold off too long.
The offers come out around the same time but some unis ask you to give three choices (so first choice, second and third), so like I said, if you have a preference (en suite/non-mixed) then apply asap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending