The Student Room Group

Is Economics necessary?

I am currently doing Bio, Maths and Computing at A Level.

I have offers from:
Warwick
Leeds
Nottingham
Birmingham

I am slightly concerned that I should have taken Economics instead of Computing. From reading other threads it seems that A&F is more maths related than Economics related.

Will I be at a big disadvantage having not done Economics?

Thanks
No, as long as you have maths (which is the main subject) then you don't have anything to worry about. Taking economics is not a necessary requirement and I believe you will be at no disadvantage. Plus from what I've heard economics at uni is totally different to economics at a level, it's more focused on the maths component rather than the theory side.

Also congrats on the offers!!!😆
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kandykissesxox
No, as long as you have maths (which is the main subject) then you don't have anything to worry about. Taking economics is not a necessary requirement and I believe you will be at no disadvantage. Plus from what I've heard economics at uni is totally different to economics at a level, it's more focused on the maths component rather than the theory side.

Also congrats on the offers!!!😆

Thanks! Ive had a look into the modules at different unis but they dont provide you with much info. Is the degree quite maths based?
Original post by GCSEBen
Thanks! Ive had a look into the modules at different unis but they dont provide you with much info. Is the degree quite maths based?

Yes it is. There is a lot more maths in an economics degree.
Reply 5
Yes it is. There is a lot more maths in an economics degree.

Don't you mean in an Accounting and Finance degree rather than an Economics degree?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GCSEBen
Don't you mean in an Accounting and Finance degree rather than an Economics degree?

Yeah, sorry accounting and finance.
Reply 7
Yeah, sorry accounting and finance.

It does appear that all the Top Unis specify you must have Maths so there must be a big maths aspect. Are you currently studying Accounting and Finance?
Original post by GCSEBen
It does appear that all the Top Unis specify you must have Maths so there must be a big maths aspect. Are you currently studying Accounting and Finance?

Nope but I have friends that are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending