The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by opalesecent
Hi, so this is the situation. I have applied for Psychology BSc at Bristol, Sussex, UCL, Southampton and Goldsmiths. I have an offer from Goldsmiths and am waiting for the others; as I am predicted three A's, I am hoping I will get a few more.

Basically, the main problem is not whether I get offers, but how I will fund going to university. I am aware I can get a student loan to cover tuition fees, I have no problem with this, I understand that many people will need to do this, and I only have to start paying it off when I can afford to. But the maintenance cost is my main concern.

I am not eligible for any grant or loans as my parents earn over the maximum amount to get a loan from the government. They earn roughly 70K a year, which as far as I am aware means I do not qualify to a maintenance loan. However, though they earn a fair amount of money, they cannot afford to pay any of my maintenance fees; they cannot help me financially in any way, mainly due to the fact I have two younger siblings. I have a job but am paid badly, I currently have only £500 in my bank account.

In other words, as far as I can see, it looks like I can't afford uni. I can't live at home, and I don't get any financial support because the loans are means-tested and my household's income is too high. I think this system is incredibly unfair; it does not take into account the fact that though people's parents earn a good amount of money, it does not mean they can afford to fund their children going to university.

So anyway, my question is: is there any hope for me? Is there any way I can get financial support, are there any loans I am unaware of? I am determined to go to uni, if I possibly can! I have no learning difficulties so I cannot get support for that, and it is unlikely I'd get a scholarship, and I do not qualify for bursaries, and just for reference, I am a UK student. My only chance would be getting an 'Excellence Scholarship' if I get three A's and put Sussex as my first choice, as this offers £2,000 and free first year accommodation. Failing this, and planning for the next two year, what can I do? Any help is very much appreciated - thanks in advance!

get a job at uni like everyone else? its not that bad
I had to make £6 last me a month...just be thankful your parents actually have money so they can help you out when needed.
No one pays for uni up front.

you only need rent,
and food bills,
and clothing,
transport money
Original post by alow
Get a job.

i have a job, that still won't earn me £3,000 in a year.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Either get your parents to help - I'm sure there's something they can cut back on - or get a job. You could easily work three months over summer - £7 an hour, 40 hours a week for 12 weeks and you'll have £3,360 extra which might be enough if you're careful with your budgeting. Alternatively you can work part-time during uni like thousands of other students.

i plan to work part-time, if i can find a job. i already have a job now but i'm only paid £4.20 an hour.
Original post by Nadile
Well the general idea of the loan is that you get less because your parents are meant to support you. It is annoying though because it often leaves people who just don't qualify for extra money, or qualify for a small amount pretty screwed.

Honestly it sounds like you can either work part time during university, or take a gap year to save up money before starting your course. Many people manage with part time jobs so I guess you should be able to as well?

i have a job now that i've been doing for over a year but i'm paid badly. i do intend to find another though and carry on with it.
Original post by TeeEm
how about deferring and work like a spartan for a year ?

i want to get on with it and go to uni. i don't see how just because my parents can't afford to pay for me to go to uni, it means i can't.
Original post by Justmoll28
get a job at uni like everyone else? its not that bad

i have a job - and a part time job at uni wouldn't earn me £4,000 in a year, which i need even in addition to part of a maintenance loan
Original post by Justmoll28
I had to make £6 last me a month...just be thankful your parents actually have money so they can help you out when needed.

the whole point of this post, if you read it properly, is that my parent DON'T have any money to help me out - i have a job, and i use my wages to buy everything for myself, all i get from my parents is food and accommodation. no money, no clothes, no holidays, no nothing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
i have a job, that still won't earn me £3,000 in a year.

Get a job with more hours.
Original post by alow
Get a job with more hours.

what about the fact i'll ask have to study, since it is university i'm going to. i'll get the best job possible and i'll work out how many hours i'd have to/be able to work in order to afford the living costs. but i can't guarantee i'll find a job with the hours or wages i need.
I'm in the same position as you; dad earns too much for me to get anything more than the minimum loan (which also excludes me from applying for extra money from the uni) but not enough to top up my loan to what it 'should' be. My family have their own expenses, after all.

I'm now a third year student. How do I cope?

- Get a student account with the largest interest-free overdraft. They generally remain interest-free for a year after graduation and are a life saver for certain circumstances. I generally try and limit dipping into it, but it's useful for when my rent is due before my loan has come in.

- Take a year out, work full-time and save as much money as you can. My gap year was a forced one (no offers first time round) but even on NMW, working full time for a year gave me enough to get by on.

- Look at the cheapest accommodation you possibly can. I sent an email to my uni asking to be considered for the cheapest halls, which worked. It still ate up all my student loan (and more), but the next 'cheapest' was at least £2k more expensive.

- Prioritise! In second year I lived with someone who received almost three times as much money as me when taking into account loan, grants etc. She lived out of her overdraft and always complained about having no money because she, frankly, spent her money on ****e. A £300 shopping spree might seem like a good idea when your money goes in, but when you're eating pot noodles for the rest of the month, you'll regret it.

I've managed to never need a term-time job, but I did have an exceptionally well-paid summer job. Working full time at almost £10/hr, I haven't had a free summer in a few years - but it means I can afford to live.
Why do you only earn about £4 ph. I am sure the minimum wage is £5 something? Also, if your parents earn over £70k a year then I find it hard to believe they can't afford to give you anything. I only have my mum, and she earns about £16k a year and can still throw me a little money every now and then. If your parents aren't willing to help then you will just have to work before and during uni.
If you are looking at Sussex I think you may have got things a bit mixed up with the excellence scholarship - It's £3000 for year 1 only - and that's £1000 cash and £2000 off university accommodation or a £2000 fee waiver. not free accommodation - your only way forward is to go for the cheapest accommodation available (my friends daughter is in grim accommodation at Bristol that still costs 5k a year but is having a great time ) or go to a uni that has very cheap accommodation (usually the further up North the cheaper)
Original post by Jenx301
Why do you only earn about £4 ph. I am sure the minimum wage is £5 something? Also, if your parents earn over £70k a year then I find it hard to believe they can't afford to give you anything. I only have my mum, and she earns about £16k a year and can still throw me a little money every now and then. If your parents aren't willing to help then you will just have to work before and during uni.

it isn't, look it up, the minimum wage for under 18s is £3.87, and even for over 18s it's only £5.30. they have 3 other children to look after, one of which goes to nursery; they have to pay standard nursery fees of £3K a term. they are willing, they just can't. they may give me a small allowance each term, but not enough to make much of a difference.
Original post by Minionmum
If you are looking at Sussex I think you may have got things a bit mixed up with the excellence scholarship - It's £3000 for year 1 only - and that's £1000 cash and £2000 off university accommodation or a £2000 fee waiver. not free accommodation - your only way forward is to go for the cheapest accommodation available (my friends daughter is in grim accommodation at Bristol that still costs 5k a year but is having a great time ) or go to a uni that has very cheap accommodation (usually the further up North the cheaper)

i knew it was 1 year only, yeah i did get mixed up - but 2K off accommodation is still extremely helpful. i know, but even with the cheapest, i still may not be able to afford it.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I'm in the same position as you; dad earns too much for me to get anything more than the minimum loan (which also excludes me from applying for extra money from the uni) but not enough to top up my loan to what it 'should' be. My family have their own expenses, after all.

I'm now a third year student. How do I cope?

- Get a student account with the largest interest-free overdraft. They generally remain interest-free for a year after graduation and are a life saver for certain circumstances. I generally try and limit dipping into it, but it's useful for when my rent is due before my loan has come in.

- Take a year out, work full-time and save as much money as you can. My gap year was a forced one (no offers first time round) but even on NMW, working full time for a year gave me enough to get by on.

- Look at the cheapest accommodation you possibly can. I sent an email to my uni asking to be considered for the cheapest halls, which worked. It still ate up all my student loan (and more), but the next 'cheapest' was at least £2k more expensive.

- Prioritise! In second year I lived with someone who received almost three times as much money as me when taking into account loan, grants etc. She lived out of her overdraft and always complained about having no money because she, frankly, spent her money on ****e. A £300 shopping spree might seem like a good idea when your money goes in, but when you're eating pot noodles for the rest of the month, you'll regret it.

I've managed to never need a term-time job, but I did have an exceptionally well-paid summer job. Working full time at almost £10/hr, I haven't had a free summer in a few years - but it means I can afford to live.

thankyou for the advice - i will take it on board, it has given me some hope! you sound very diligent - great attitude!
Reply 37
my parent DON'T have any money to help me out .... all i get from my parents is food and accommodation

Given that accommodation is the major expenditure for a student, I'm sure your parents would be delighted to hear that you think of their contribution as "nothing".

no money, no clothes, no holidays, no nothing.

New clothes and holidays are luxuries and you've already said you earn your own money. I haven't had a holiday in about ten years, and that was a long weekend away with friends.

If you think you're hard up now, you'll need to brace yourself when you leave uni.
Reply 38
it isn't, look it up, the minimum wage for under 18s is £3.87, and even for over 18s it's only £5.30. they have 3 other children to look after, one of which goes to nursery; they have to pay standard nursery fees of £3K a term. they are willing, they just can't. they may give me a small allowance each term, but not enough to make much of a difference.

Minimum wage for 18-21 is £5.30, over 21 it's £6.70. Not generous, but you need to get your facts straight. And maybe check whether you're being underpaid.

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
(edited 8 years ago)
thankyou for the advice - i will take it on board, it has given me some hope! you sound very diligent - great attitude!

No problem, and thanks, aha :tongue:

It's a case of 'needs must', really. Some sacrifices may be bigger than others - not everyone would be prepared to take a gap year, for example - but there are generally ways of making things work! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending