The Student Room Group

Kanye West is rumoured to be making a David Bowie tribute album - let's stop this!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by somemightsay888
OP is a fedora tipping neckbeard who probably hasn't listened to anything hip-hop bar a 30 second clip from In Da Club back when he was 10. Makes me cringe an 18 year old could type this lmao. Also, PRSOM :'(

Dude, have you even seen my avatar? Ed Sheeran's my favourite musician FULL STOP. How can you say I hate hip hop? :lol:
Original post by lustawny
Dude, have you even seen my avatar? Ed Sheeran's my favourite musician FULL STOP. How can you say I hate hip hop? :lol:

um, Ed Sheeran isn't hiphop...
Reply 62

"I'd probably describe my sound as acoustic hip hop, with a little twinge of soul..."

"I'd probably describe my sound as acoustic hip hop, with a little twinge of soul..."

lol xD
Welcome to 2016, where the world can be fixed via petitions.
Reply 65
kanye hate in 2016<
Original post by Roving Fish

Lmao :rofl:

Do you actually like Hip-Hop or do you just like Ed Sheeran? What other stuff do you like?

I know he did an EP with some rappers but I've not heard anything outside of that that could be described as Hip-Hop, can you post some examples?
Reply 68
Original post by Roving Fish

This is different. This is about respecting the memory of a recently deceased musical legend, and not about locking an orangutan-haired **** out of a country because you can't stomach his opinions.
This is different. This is about respecting the memory of a recently deceased musical legend, and not about locking an orangutan-haired **** out of a country because you can't stomach his opinions.

IT doesn't seem very different
This thread is embarrassing. Pure cringe.

If Kanye made a Bowie tribute, it would probably be crap (I'm not willing to commit 100% to that). But who cares?
I have no problem with this as long as Kanye West genuinely respected David Bowie's artistry and wants to create a tribute as part of that but if he's just jumping on the bandwagon after his death, that's disappointing.
Reply 72
Original post by James Milibanter
IT doesn't seem very different

Like I've already said, it's the contrasting personalities and Kanye's motives for doing it in the first place that I'm opposed to. If I got the impression that he could do Bowie justice with this tribute album, then I'd be all for it. I don't, though; so I'm not.
Reply 73
They were actually kind of alike in their early albums. Kanye was a lot more emotional, talking about issues, his worries things that people relate too, sometimes inspiring. New Kanye isn't the same as that anymore, he talks about how great he is, angry etc. It's funny the things he used to criticise, he's doing himself now. So not really surprised Kanye if he was influenced by Bowie especially early on in his career.

They are nowhere near the same level musically, even if Kayne's early stuff was pretty good.

I don't really care what he does, he's got freedom to do it. I mean if no one buys it then it won't matter anyway, it'll be the people that will decide whether it'll be a success or not. No need to stop him from making it, I don't think we can prevent someone doing something like that, it's wrong.

And I'm in the camp where I don't really care what Kayne does these days, don't care about it. I like to pretend he stopped making music ages ago, I only like/relate to what he used to be and the music he used to make. In some ways similar to Bowie who wasn't as good after the 70s were up though a few good songs here and there after that. But at least I felt like I respected the person still despite that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ugh god he can't be for real can he? Kanye is an extremely bad artist in comparison to Bowie. Surely this will degrade all Bowie has done and worked for in his many years in the music industry.
I remember Kanye butchering Bohemian Rhapsody on a colossal scale at Glastonbury. In an ideal world bastardization would be a crime.
David bowie is a human being kanye isnt :confused:
Original post by James Milibanter
I completely agree with you in terms of personality. There are slight differences of course, Bowie would never go onto stage and declare himself the "greatest rock and roll star" for example. But yes he was arrogant and egotistical, splitting up the spiders from mars as he did was a testament to that. There are only 2 artists to have ever broke up the band in such a manner, Bowie and Paul Weller from the Jam. In all honesty, I hope it does happen, it could be quite good, I'm not too sure of the samples he'd use so there'll be an element of surprise to it.

I must say Only one and 45seconds were brilliant, though the vocal distortion on Only One was a little OTT imo. I wouldn't be surprised if Kanye was a fan of Macca's though.

Yeah, I do think he'd use Bowies samples gracefully if the chance ever arose, something like Rebel Rebel seems it'd suit him. I remember Jay Z sampled Bowie on Takeover well too. But for real, this will probably never happen, or it'll be an odd track released way after Swish where he'll sample a single Bowie song :biggrin:

Original post by Blondie987
I have no problem with this as long as Kanye West genuinely respected David Bowie's artistry and wants to create a tribute as part of that but if he's just jumping on the bandwagon after his death, that's disappointing.

O hai again :rofl:
Yeah, I do think he'd use Bowies samples gracefully if the chance ever arose, something like Rebel Rebel seems it'd suit him. I remember Jay Z sampled Bowie on Takeover well too. But for real, this will probably never happen, or it'll be an odd track released way after Swish where he'll sample a single Bowie song :biggrin:

O hai again :rofl:

Yay! You read my post! :biggrin:

Rebel Rebel stuck out for me as something with potential for Kanye, though I think Fashion could be another possible route, a little more distortion on the sample as well as some voice distortion and something quite good can come about of it.

Quick Reply

Latest