The Student Room Group

Warwick or LSE

Im in a sticky Situation.

I have applied to Warwick for MORSE degree and LSE for Maths and Economics. I have received an offer for both universities and now I am confused which university should i choose?

Can anyone try persuade me to choose which university i should go into?

I think social life, accommodation costs, living costs, the people there, after graduating how easy it is to find a job (finance industry) and work load are quite important to me.

Thank you !
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student6000

I have applied to Warwick for MORSE degree and LSE for Maths and Economics. I have received an offer for both universities and now I am confused which university should i choose?

I think social life, accommodation costs, living costs, the people there, after graduating how easy it is to find a job (finance industry) and work load are quite important to me.

Thank you !

Both are excellent courses and will provide you with good opportunities. Have you visited both to see if you like them? I would personally definitely pick Warwick as I would vastly prefer to not live in London (and indeed did receive an offer from Warwick when I did apply years ago).
Reply 2
Both equal in terms how of how hard
both respected
both same in terms of work

Warwick cheaper accomdation (save 4k)
campus uni - everyone close
Outside London (so not as fancy in terms of clubbing)

Thank you !

Both are very good and you can do very good from both, but I would pick LSE because it does have a better overall reputation than Warwick, and that will pay dividends for your career prospects for the rest of your career.
Reply 4
In terms of financial industry, lse has a better reputation abroad I think, but in the uk they're both great.
LSE: more cosmopolitan, better connected to the economics and policy agenda, better international reputation, closer to recruiters. More Nobel (Memorial) Prizes, yadda yadda. Great social scene in a City with a better social scene. LSE without a doubt.

Before you ask - I'm not LSE, I'm proudly Kings, they think they have a rivalry with us (they don't) but I have many LSE friends and it opens A LOT of doors. It is WORTH the extra cost.
(edited 8 years ago)
- On par for career prospects (both targets/make up the bulk of analyst classes)
- Warwick has the better Maths Dept BY FAR
- LSE's accommodation prices will make you cry
- London is great; only if you're rich enough to enjoy it. You'll end up there after uni anyway
- Both have awesome reps
- MORSE imo, is a better more flexible course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Radk
In terms of financial industry, lse has a better reputation abroad I think...

More precisely, LSE has a reputation abroad. On this side of the pond, nobody knows much of anything about Warwick. I have no idea about the actual difference between those programs or what your prospective employers will think.

Of course, you've got to make it all work for 3 or 4 years-- so don't go where you won't earn fabulous grades and recommendations because you're too miserable. Do a master's in London or Oxbridge (or the US) if you then need some additional patina on the resume.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Camilli
More precisely, LSE has a reputation abroad. On this side of the pond, nobody knows much of anything about Warwick. I have no idea about the actual difference between those programs or what your prospective employers will think.

Of course, you've got to make it all work for 3 or 4 years-- so don't go where you won't fabulous grades and recommendations because you're too miserable. Do a master's in London or Oxbridge (or the US) if you then need some additional patina on the resume.

Good point :smile: and to the OP, yeah it is important to have a balanced life too.
Original post by Camilli

Of course, you've got to make it all work for 3 or 4 years-- so don't go where you won't earn fabulous grades and recommendations because you're too miserable. Do a master's in London or Oxbridge (or the US) if you then need some additional patina on the resume.

Original post by Camilli

That's a really good point. If I go LSE I would have to find a part time job and constantly work to finance myself as I come from a low income background. It would be very expensive and my loan wouldnt be enough for myself.

On the other hand, warwick will be much cheaper, it's a campus uni which I like and also it's very modern which I Like.

I think I'd be miserable if I went LSE but I'd be more happier with Warwick. Thanks for this comment. Kind of made me think about which one I actually like and not future prospective.
Reply 10
That's a really good point. If I go LSE I would have to find a part time job and constantly work to finance myself as I come from a low income background. It would be very expensive and my loan wouldnt be enough for myself.

On the other hand, warwick will be much cheaper, it's a campus uni which I like and also it's very modern which I Like.

I think I'd be miserable if I went LSE but I'd be more happier with Warwick. Thanks for this comment. Kind of made me think about which one I actually like and not future prospective.

Can I ask, what was your offer from LSE? and your grades?

Thanks
Original post by ramie
Can I ask, what was your offer from LSE? and your grades?

Thanks

I applied to LSE for Maths and Eco. Offer is Maths and eco. Entry is A*AA (A* in maths and A in f.maths)

My AS grades were A* maths (did it a year earlier), A in chemistry, B in f.maths and B in economics.

Whats your plans?
Reply 12
I applied to LSE for Maths and Eco. Offer is Maths and eco. Entry is A*AA (A* in maths and A in f.maths)

My AS grades were A* maths (did it a year earlier), A in chemistry, B in f.maths and B in economics.

Whats your plans?

I plan on doing math with econ at LSE next year. Already have A econ A business B stats (retake, so A) and studying maths and fm so hopefully A* A* AAA, if goes to plan lol

Quick Reply

Latest