The Student Room Group

British Council Teaching Assistants 2016/2017

Hi all,

Thought I'd make a thread on those hoping to become teaching assistants with the British Council in 2016/2017! This can be a discussion for anyone who would like to meet fellow applicants, ask any questions or just discuss any thing related to teaching English abroad!

I've applied for France, Belgium and Germany. My French choices are Versailles, Grenoble and Nantes. Really hope I get placed in a French speaking country!

Where has everyone else applied to? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile:

I study French and I've applied for Lille, Creteil and Rennes. I love Belgium, but with so few places for English Language Assistants I decided to just go for France and hopefully I'll be close enough to travel to Belgium for weekend trips :tongue:

Hopefully the months of waiting to find out if we've been accepted/where we're placed doesn't go past too slowly :frown:
Reply 2
hey! I'm a [soon to be] law graduate applying for Spain. My preferences are Valencia, Aragorn, and País Basque, and a city is my top preference as to location.

Haven't sent away my application yet as the deadline is the 21st, but any tips?
Reply 3
fact we have to wait until the end of April is so frustrating :ahhhhh:
Hiya,

I'm going for my compulsory year abroad this yearticle to Spain. Hoping for Madrid. I know we are to find out where we will be placed by the 30th April but surely we won't all find out on this one day? Does anyone know when they start to tell people and is it in bulk we are emailed or just here and there? I'm just so excited and eager to find out!

Cat
Reply 5
Original post by catrionachica
Hiya,

I'm going for my compulsory year abroad this yearticle to Spain. Hoping for Madrid. I know we are to find out where we will be placed by the 30th April but surely we won't all find out on this one day? Does anyone know when they start to tell people and is it in bulk we are emailed or just here and there? I'm just so excited and eager to find out!

Cat

Hey Cat,

I've applied for Madrid too, I'm graduating this year and want to go back after my Erasmus experience. I'm not sure when they will get back to us although if you have a look at the 2015/2016 thread, most of the people there didn't find out until a few days before the 30th so I would be patient for the minute

I'm really want to know too,

Joy :smile:
Reply 6
Hi guys!

I've applied for Spain too, the wait is killing me! Not too bothered about where they place me, just hoping I get in! Does anyone know of anyone who's been rejected so far?

Cat no. 2 :smile:
Reply 7
Got an email today saying that I passed the assessment for France \o/ \o/ \o/ (with the caveat of we can't guarantee anything etc. etc.)

No news on where I'm going tho--apparently the deadline to hear back about being allocated a post is the 30th June. Guess if I waited this long, I can wait another 2 months, but it feels like ages away!
Reply 8
I got an email today saying I passed for France too :smile: same caveat. I don't think I'll get particularly high priority as I'm not a student or final year/new graduate, but that's fair enough. What cities did you choose?
Reply 9
I'm a student going for a year abroad--at the moment i'm on a year out working so not particularly studenty--and I picked Orleans-Tours, Limoges and Reims for my regions. Tours is my favourite French city but I'd honestly prefer somewhere more quiet; I put village/rural as my first preference. I'm a village girl born and bred, and the Loire countryside is gorgeous. Where are you hoping for?
Reply 10
I imagine that more people would select cities rather than village/rural so you're probably more likely to get your first choice, no? I asked for Lyon, Reims and Orleans-Tours. I'm actually heading out to Lyon at the end of this month, my partner lives there so that's potentially a tricky issue...
Reply 11
I'm hoping so! Sometimes people feel like you get isolated in a rural area, but I'm working in a village school at the moment and it gives you a pretty tight knit position in the local community, especially if you live there. I'm also just not very good with cities except on day trips or holidays. The noise and the bustle and the jockeying for space stresses me out. Would you want to live with your partner, or are you more used to having your own space?
Reply 12
That makes sense! Anyways I'll send you a private message :smile:
Reply 13
Got an email last week informing me I've passed the assessment for France! So happy! I'm holding out for Nantes but I'm liking the idea of Versailles as it's close to Paris. If anyone knows anything about these two locations feel free to let me know! :smile:
Reply 14
Hey!

I've been accepted too for France and I hope that we will find out this week. There was a thread from last year and they found out on the 27th April, so fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 15
Congrats! It would be really nice to find out this week, but it seems like it's different every year. They got to find out where they were going at the same time as being accepted last year, I think? Can't wait to start obssessively googling the region.
Reply 16
Here is a reply from an email I sent to a British Council employee regarding allocation dates:

"Allocation and post-shortlisting for all candidates across all 14 countries is currently taking place and so candidates will all have been given the outcome of their application on or before 30th May, however for France we hope this will be earlier, around mid-May".

I hope this is useful :smile:
Hey everyone,

I'm due to finish my placement in France on Friday. I've had a fantastic time and I'm sure you will too! :wink: If anyone has any questions about working and living in France, I'm happy to help!

Edit: I was allocated Nancy-Metz as a département
Has anyone who applied to Spain heard anything back yet? My friend applied to France and got an email a couple of weeks ago saying her application was accepted (but not guaranteed). They said they'd let us know by 30th April, which is very soon..
Reply 19
Original post by DomWJ
Here is a reply from an email I sent to a British Council employee regarding allocation dates:

"Allocation and post-shortlisting for all candidates across all 14 countries is currently taking place and so candidates will all have been given the outcome of their application on or before 30th May, however for France we hope this will be earlier, around mid-May".

I hope this is useful :smile:

I found the French assistants de langue facebook page earlier today and that says May as well. Nice to know we won't have to wait until the end of June! So we'll know the region--and the email mentions post-shortlisting? I was under the impression that we didn't find out which schools we'll be in until much later?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending