The Student Room Group

Ask A Band 6 RN!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by AmyH81
Hey - I am also 34 and have a little boy who is currently 20 months. I have applied to do Children's Nursing (only at 1 Uni as it's close to me) and have received an email today offering me a place. How is your application going? x

I had a straight rejection from my closes uni and have an interview from my other choice which is 40mins away. I'm really gutted my closest uni rejected me because of logistics but the other has a
Fantastic chikdrens hospital so I'm still so excited.

Congratulations getting a place! Did you have much experience? I have absolutely none but have just got a job as a hca in a care home.
Original post by AmyH81
Hey - I am also 34 and have a little boy who is currently 20 months. I have applied to do Children's Nursing (only at 1 Uni as it's close to me) and have received an email today offering me a place. How is your application going? x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Reply 81
Original post by jolly81
I had a straight rejection from my closes uni and have an interview from my other choice which is 40mins away. I'm really gutted my closest uni rejected me because of logistics but the other has a
Fantastic chikdrens hospital so I'm still so excited.

Congratulations getting a place! Did you have much experience? I have absolutely none but have just got a job as a hca in a care home.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks - am really looking forward to it and good luck for your next interview. Errrm Academic wise I already have an Undergrad Degree (Physical Geography) and a PGCE (Teaching) so I am a qualified Teacher. I have worked with Children for about 8/9 years in jobs ranging from a Teaching Assistant and Youth Worker to an Outdoor Instructor and Kids Rep. I also volunteer at my Church's Creche. I have also worked a couple of months as a HCA on an Adult Orthopaedic Ward in a Hospital x
Reply 82
Original post by ButterflyRN
Hey guys,

I know many of you who are applying or are considering nursing as a career have many, many questions, especially regarding practice placements. Or are you a student nurse struggling on your placements and want some advice? Or are you a 3rd year student and would like some advice for your management placement and job preparation?? Feel free to ask me anything! I have almost 4 years post qualification experience and I am now a sign off mentor!

Look forward to answering your questions!

Hi! I have just been accepted to study child nursing in September and I'm extremely excited. Can you please offer me any advice for what I can expect in first year. Is there anything I should do to start preparing.
Also I'm in Irish student so I won't get any financial help from student finance. I also have a previous degree so I won't get any financial help from the Irish government either. I've basically saved up this year in preparation for starting uni but I'll defo have to work as a hca to keep myself afloat financially. I've heard people work as bank hca's during uni so this is what I'm planning to do. Is it easy to get a bank hca job would you know? It'll be tough because I'll need to work a good amount every month for rent/transportation costs etc but I don't have a choice. And the university I got into is in London which makes everything more expensive!
Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Reply 83
Original post by Rose_93
Hi! I have just been accepted to study child nursing in September and I'm extremely excited. Can you please offer me any advice for what I can expect in first year. Is there anything I should do to start preparing.
Also I'm in Irish student so I won't get any financial help from student finance. I also have a previous degree so I won't get any financial help from the Irish government either. I've basically saved up this year in preparation for starting uni but I'll defo have to work as a hca to keep myself afloat financially. I've heard people work as bank hca's during uni so this is what I'm planning to do. Is it easy to get a bank hca job would you know? It'll be tough because I'll need to work a good amount every month for rent/transportation costs etc but I don't have a choice. And the university I got into is in London which makes everything more expensive!
Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Are you currently a HCA? If not you'll need 11 weeks placement experience before you can apply to NHS Professionals. The money is decent though, I often tagged an extra night shift on to my student shifts and that helped an awful lot.
Reply 84
Original post by amyc123
Are you currently a HCA? If not you'll need 11 weeks placement experience before you can apply to NHS Professionals. The money is decent though, I often tagged an extra night shift on to my student shifts and that helped an awful lot.

I've been working as a full time hca since November so i hope that will be enough, thank you! I'll be doing that then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bump :smile:
Having a car is certainly more convenient. When I was training to be a nurse I hadn't passed my driving test so I relied on public transport to get to uni and placement. But I relied on my parents heavily to drive me to work whilst I was on placement because if I was on an early, there was no bus that would get me to placement on time and when I was on a late I wasn't finishing until 9 and to get a bus home would have meant I'd not have been getting home until 11pm which is not what you want on placement! I never got sent anywhere too far away, but I did get sent to places that on paper were nearer to me, but harder to get to because I needed to get several buses. The cost of running a car is definitely worth it if not for convenience only!

If you want to be a district nurse then you will need your own car as you will be visiting several patients houses and you will need to carry equipment in the back of your car like dressings and sterile packs, glove packs, sharps bins etc. I don't think having a car will make you any more like to get a district nurse placement though.

Would you say that it would be difficult to get to placements by public transport then? That would be the only way that I would be able to get there and I wouldn't be able to afford to have a car whilst at uni, any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elise68
Would you say that it would be difficult to get to placements by public transport then? That would be the only way that I would be able to get there and I wouldn't be able to afford to have a car whilst at uni, any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess it depends on where you live and what uni you go to. For me it was impossible to get to Derby for 7am from where I live so I needed a car to get to work. Getting the bus also added on 3 hours to my day so not very convenient at all.
Is it correct that u have to get 60% in first year drugs calculation exam, 80% in 2nd year and 100% in 3rd. I struggle in maths. Took me 4 times to pass maths gcse. Any advise on how to pass the exams or books that i should buy on drugs calculations. And r the exams long and difficult? If u can remember.
Original post by Zainab96
Is it correct that u have to get 60% in first year drugs calculation exam, 80% in 2nd year and 100% in 3rd. I struggle in maths. Took me 4 times to pass maths gcse. Any advise on how to pass the exams or books that i should buy on drugs calculations. And r the exams long and difficult? If u can remember.

I think all university's are different. I am sure things are different now but when I trained we didn't "fail" our drug calculations exams but we got marked as red, amber and green. Green was 100%, amber was 80% and meant you needed to improve and red meant go see your personal tutor. Like I said I'm sure things are different now and different unis will have different requirements. For most drug calculations there are generic formulas so once you've figured them out you should be fine. Unis do go over drug calculations in a lot of detail and we got practice papers to practice with before our exam.
Reply 90
Hi

I'm doing the MA/RN Children and YP from September and am a (very) mature student! I am fully aware I haven't studied any science in over 20 years!! I already have a couple of a+p books which I am slowly working my way thought.... Just wondering if you can offer any advice on further background reading before I start in September?

Many thanks
Hi, i was wondering how much do nurses earn a week, those at the band 5 scale.

@ButterflyRN
Reply 92
Here you go.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/about/careers-nhs/nhs-pay-and-benefits/agenda-change-pay-rates

Original post by Blackstarr

@ButterflyRN
Reply 94
About £350/week for Band 5 point 16 not taking into account student loans etc. This calculator can help.

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk

weekly pay?
Original post by Mrsxmas
Hi

I'm doing the MA/RN Children and YP from September and am a (very) mature student! I am fully aware I haven't studied any science in over 20 years!! I already have a couple of a+p books which I am slowly working my way thought.... Just wondering if you can offer any advice on further background reading before I start in September?

Many thanks

I wouldn't go too mad and overwhelm yourself. Your A&P books will probably suffice as background reading prior to starting your course. They will go more in depth in your lectures and they will explain anything you don't understand. I really enjoyed the A&P at uni!!!

Congratulations and good luck!

@ButterflyRN

We don't get paid weekly in the NHS.
We don't get paid weekly in the NHS.

Ohh ok so how about monthly, like the take home pay?
Original post by Mrsxmas
About £350/week for Band 5 point 16 not taking into account student loans etc. This calculator can help.

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk

Thanks.
Ohh ok so how about monthly, like the take home pay?

At the starting point of band 5, depending on if you work nights or weekends your salary after tax will be around £1400-1600 a month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending