The Student Room Group

Is withdrawing a couple of choices bad???

So thanks god I've got an offer from one of the unis I most wanted to go to, so I want to withdraw my last two choices that I've heard from, but still haven't updated on ucas, and I want to straight away put the uni I want as a firm offer before waiting till the update on ucas, so I was thinking to withdraw from them. BUT if I withdraw fro them will that look bad in front of the unis I applied to? especially if I were to apply to them later on for further degrees etc.. will they remember that I withdrew my choice from them? Please help.
Many many many thanks to those who answer and help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dolphinflips
So thanks god I've got an offer from one of the unis I most wanted to go to, so I want to withdraw my last two choices that I've heard from, but still haven't updated on ucas, and I want to straight away put the uni I want as a firm offer before waiting till the update on ucas, so I was thinking to withdraw from them. BUT if I withdraw fro them will that look bad in front of the unis I applied to? especially if I were to apply to them later on for further degrees etc.. will they remember that I withdrew my choice from them? Please help.

Please don't rush to firm your offers. There is NO advantage to doing this early (and a lot of disadvantages because you cannot change your mind easily) and it can cause confusion with universities because it simply isn't expected for applicants to pick their firm until March/April or later - only 3% of applicants have firms their offers so far and it stays this low for months yet.

Be patient and forget about UCAS for a few months and come back and make your choices official on Track after Easter.
I wouldn't worry too much about it for now, I would focus on getting the grades you need to meet the firm offer :smile:. Depending on the university, it is highly unlikely you will actually get any benefit from firming your choice early, and there is no harm in waiting for your other choices to come through. If (obviously worst case scenario) you end up in clearing then at least those unis will know you got a place there when you phone and they will definitely treat you more favourably than if you simply withdraw, which may indicate to them that they were very low down on your list of choices. I got my dream uni offer as one of my first, but as I said there is not really any advantage that I can think of to firming it before you have received all your offers. Also, the other offers could serve as useful insurance choices depending on what grades they offer.

Regarding applying in the future, rejecting or withdrawing from them is not obviously going to make them love love you, but I would personally say withdrawing is worst - rejecting may mean you favoured somewhere else, but withdrawing may show them you didn't even care enough to wait or regretted applying there, especially if you went to another uni that year.

I know it must be exciting to have your favourite one, but my advice would be to check if your uni offers any advantage to firming early (e.g. applying for accommodation, I know mine didn't even look at them until June so it didn't make a difference at all, but some may be different). Unless you can find anything, I would wait :smile:

Universities cannot see what other Universities you have applied for, or what other courses you have applied for, so they wouldn't have any idea if you had withdrawn your other applications.

It will also not make any difference to any future applications to the Universities you are withdrawing from. They are professional institutions and don't hold grudges against applicants. I know a lot of people who have either withdrawn their Undergraduate application from a University, or rejected their offer, before going on to later do their Masters at that same University.
Original post by mackemforever
Universities cannot see what other Universities you have applied for, or what other courses you have applied for, so they wouldn't have any idea if you had withdrawn your other applications.

It will also not make any difference to any future applications to the Universities you are withdrawing from. They are professional institutions and don't hold grudges against applicants. I know a lot of people who have either withdrawn their Undergraduate application from a University, or rejected their offer, before going on to later do their Masters at that same University.

Thank you so much for your answer, this is exactly what I was looking for! I guess I'm a bit paranoid. Thank you so much again :smile:
Original post by mackemforever

Yes they can

As soon as you choose firm/insurance invisibility of choices is switched off and universities can see where else you applied, what course you applied for, if you recieved an offer (and the conditions) and if you accepted/withdrew/insured/firmed that offer.
Thank you so much for your answer, this is exactly what I was looking for! I guess I'm a bit paranoid. Thank you so much again :smile:
Original post by PQ
Please don't rush to firm your offers. There is NO advantage to doing this early (and a lot of disadvantages because you cannot change your mind easily) and it can cause confusion with universities because it simply isn't expected for applicants to pick their firm until March/April or later - only 3% of applicants have firms their offers so far and it stays this low for months yet.

Be patient and forget about UCAS for a few months and come back and make your choices official on Track after Easter.

Thank you so much for your reply. So I was applying for medicine, biomedical science as a back up, unfortunately didn't get into any of the medical ones, but got offered another course in notingham and currently being considered for another course in bsms which is biomedical at brighton, but got an unconditional offer at sussex, so thought that not keen on Nottingham's course and brighton is the same as sussex but prob not unconditional, but in the future wanted to go to bsms, so was wondering if I withdrew from brighton would it affect my chances afterwards?
Original post by PQ
Yes they can

As soon as you choose firm/insurance invisibility of choices is switched off and universities can see where else you applied, what course you applied for, if you recieved an offer (and the conditions) and if you accepted/withdrew/insured/firmed that offer.

Oh, but sussex an brighton work pretty close together, if i go to sussex, then apply to brighton sussex medical school afterwards, would they consider me as a lesser applicant for withdrawing Brighton's course eventhough i went to sussex?
Oh, but sussex an brighton work pretty close together, if i go to sussex, then apply to brighton sussex medical school afterwards, would they consider me as a lesser applicant for withdrawing Brighton's course eventhough i went to sussex?

They won't give a **** about you withdrawing. But it is a silly thing to do when the deadline for picking a firm is 4 months away.
Original post by legallyblonde72
I wouldn't worry too much about it for now, I would focus on getting the grades you need to meet the firm offer :smile:. Depending on the university, it is highly unlikely you will actually get any benefit from firming your choice early, and there is no harm in waiting for your other choices to come through. If (obviously worst case scenario) you end up in clearing then at least those unis will know you got a place there when you phone and they will definitely treat you more favourably than if you simply withdraw, which may indicate to them that they were very low down on your list of choices. I got my dream uni offer as one of my first, but as I said there is not really any advantage that I can think of to firming it before you have received all your offers. Also, the other offers could serve as useful insurance choices depending on what grades they offer.

Regarding applying in the future, rejecting or withdrawing from them is not obviously going to make them love love you, but I would personally say withdrawing is worst - rejecting may mean you favoured somewhere else, but withdrawing may show them you didn't even care enough to wait or regretted applying there, especially if you went to another uni that year.

I know it must be exciting to have your favourite one, but my advice would be to check if your uni offers any advantage to firming early (e.g. applying for accommodation, I know mine didn't even look at them until June so it didn't make a difference at all, but some may be different). Unless you can find anything, I would wait :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice and your reply, much appreciated!! I basically got an unconditional offer from sussex, and i want to withdraw from brighton, and the future apply to brighton sussex medical school, since they are pretty much joint, will it matter if i withdrew from brighton and go to sussex, since they are so close?
Original post by PQ
They won't give a **** about you withdrawing. But it is a silly thing to do when the deadline for picking a firm is 4 months away.

So there's no issue or looking bad in front of that uni if i withdraw then? Yes i agree, but since i don't want to do that couse in Nottingham and not much point to wait for brighton for biomedical scince, if I've already got an offer for the same couse but slightly better circumstances being unconditional in sussex, so i wont need an insurance, so is there any reason i should wait?
Sorry for the annoying qs, you are being really helpful :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PQ

I've chosen my firm and insurance. The only thing I'd say different to your reply is that if you know where you want to go and have an offer for it then go ahead. I knew I wanted my firm since I was in year 10 XD
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
I've chosen my firm and insurance. The only thing I'd say different to your reply is that if you know where you want to go and have an offer for it then go ahead. I knew I wanted my firm since I was in year 10 XD

Ah happy for you! do you think withdrawing from a uni, will hurt my chances in getting into it later on life if i were to apply there again?
So there's no issue or looking bad in front of that uni if i withdraw then? Yes i agree, but since i don't want to do that couse in Nottingham and not much point to wait for brighton for biomedical scince, if I've already got an offer for the same couse but slightly better circumstances being unconditional in sussex, so i wont need an insurance, so is there any reason i should wait?
Sorry for the annoying qs, you are being really helpful :smile:

You should wait because a lot can change in 4 months. If you're still sure after Easter then you can firm knowing you considered your options.

We have dozens of applicants on TSR every year who firm early and then their circumstances change (family, finance, studies, interests, ambitions). Please PLEASE don't firm early and risk being one of those people. Chances are nothing will change and you firm in 3/4 months. But noone can accurately forecast the future so firming early to lose any flexibility is incredibly foolish.
Original post by EdwardBarfield9

And have you been equally confident about your insurance for that time?
Can you be 100% confident that your family or financial situation won't change in the next few months?

I appreciate that you're happy with your choices but you could have been happy with your choices and still waited till April to make them official on Track with NO disadvantage.
Original post by PQ
Yes they can

I'll rephrase that.

Until you have chosen your firm & insurance places the Universities cannot see who else you have applied for. So if the OP was to withdraw from two of their choices the other 3 wouldn't have any idea that the OP had done such and so it will not play any part in their decision as to whether or not to make the OP an offer.
Original post by PQ
You should wait because a lot can change in 4 months. If you're still sure after Easter then you can firm knowing you considered your options.

We have dozens of applicants on TSR every year who firm early and then their circumstances change (family, finance, studies, interests, ambitions). Please PLEASE don't firm early and risk being one of those people. Chances are nothing will change and you firm in 3/4 months. But noone can accurately forecast the future so firming early to lose any flexibility is incredibly foolish.

Ok I'll take your word :smile: brighton said ill hear within a month, but still think im gonna withdraw Nottingham one, because its too far for a course I'm not keen in... but I'll wait for brighton. Thank you so much for your help :biggrin:
Ah happy for you! do you think withdrawing from a uni, will hurt my chances in getting into it later on life if i were to apply there again?

I wouldn't have thought so. As far as the unis you're thinking of withdrawing from know you're withdrawing because you have the offers from the places you want to go.
Original post by PQ
And have you been equally confident about your insurance for that time?
Can you be 100% confident that your family or financial situation won't change in the next few months?

I appreciate that you're happy with your choices but you could have been happy with your choices and still waited till April to make them official on Track with NO disadvantage.

I can't speak for anyone but myself. I also knew what my insurance would be even if I had offers from all five. I only included the other three to fill up my application. If I'm paying £23 for two unis then I may as well fill it up for no extra cost.
So far I've received 3 unconditional offeres and really want to withdraw from the final two, as I much preferredtwo of the three unis that have given me offers, and as they're all unconditionals, I don't really see the point in waiting for the other two, especially when I didn't like the course as much?
Still not sure yet though, so waiting for more opinions haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending