The Student Room Group

BT Apprenticeship 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by jade.catherine
I'll post it today ☺️

Thanks
2. IT (Advanced, Higher and Full Degree)

Software Roles:

Software roles involve working to design, develop, implement, test and support softwareapplications that help BT to run its networks and systems. This could include anything fromworking on web applications, apps for smart phones and tablets or on BT’s internal systems.

Although a good understanding of programming and software development is useful for asoftware apprenticeship role, it’s not essential, and not all of our software apprentice rolesinvolve coding. Aside from developing software to meet a customer’s needs, a software rolein BT TSO could involve designing products that the developers will go on to create. It couldalso involve end-to-end testing which is about making sure the software that has beendeveloped works how the customer wants it to. You could be working on infrastructurewhich is about making sure the servers and hardware are set up and ready for our customersor you could be involved in technical delivery management which is about making sureprojects run on time and are joined up.

The ability to learn and pick new skills up quickly and effectively is really important for a rolein software. Furthermore, good communication and listening stills are crucial in making sureyou capture everything the customer requires.

Network Roles:

There is also a broad array of network roles available in BT TSO. These roles could includeopportunities to test our global networks, whether that’s new connections we’re building, orexisting networks. It could also include working on the planning, installing andcommissioning of new network elements. During your apprenticeship in the network area,you’ll learn how messages are sent from one place to another (e.g. ‘the Internet’ to yourcomputer) and the settings and configurations that have to be in place in order for this tohappen (e.g. you can’t send video over an audio network, because the network elements willnot accept the format).

TV & Digital Media Roles:

These roles will get you involved in the design, delivery and support of BT TV and all theassociated systems that have to work together to provide a complete, end to end, TVservice. You’ll also be working on the design, delivery and support of BT’s UK and GlobalMedia Networks which carry content for customers such as BBC, ITV & Star TV. During yourapprenticeship with BT TV & Content you will rotate around a number of teams ensuring yougain a full understanding of the broadcasting and IPTV technologies you study, whilst givingyou an opportunity to understand what is involved in providing the very best service to ourcustomers.
@jade.catherine I still have not received my contract yet oh oo :|
Original post by DanBrandon89
@jade.catherine I still have not received my contract yet oh oo :|

Has it been two weeks since the call?
Reply 284
2. IT (Advanced, Higher and Full Degree)

Software Roles:

Software roles involve working to design, develop, implement, test and support softwareapplications that help BT to run its networks and systems. This could include anything fromworking on web applications, apps for smart phones and tablets or on BT’s internal systems.

Although a good understanding of programming and software development is useful for asoftware apprenticeship role, it’s not essential, and not all of our software apprentice rolesinvolve coding. Aside from developing software to meet a customer’s needs, a software rolein BT TSO could involve designing products that the developers will go on to create. It couldalso involve end-to-end testing which is about making sure the software that has beendeveloped works how the customer wants it to. You could be working on infrastructurewhich is about making sure the servers and hardware are set up and ready for our customersor you could be involved in technical delivery management which is about making sureprojects run on time and are joined up.

The ability to learn and pick new skills up quickly and effectively is really important for a rolein software. Furthermore, good communication and listening stills are crucial in making sureyou capture everything the customer requires.

Network Roles:

There is also a broad array of network roles available in BT TSO. These roles could includeopportunities to test our global networks, whether that’s new connections we’re building, orexisting networks. It could also include working on the planning, installing andcommissioning of new network elements. During your apprenticeship in the network area,you’ll learn how messages are sent from one place to another (e.g. ‘the Internet’ to yourcomputer) and the settings and configurations that have to be in place in order for this tohappen (e.g. you can’t send video over an audio network, because the network elements willnot accept the format).

TV & Digital Media Roles:

These roles will get you involved in the design, delivery and support of BT TV and all theassociated systems that have to work together to provide a complete, end to end, TVservice. You’ll also be working on the design, delivery and support of BT’s UK and GlobalMedia Networks which carry content for customers such as BBC, ITV & Star TV. During yourapprenticeship with BT TV & Content you will rotate around a number of teams ensuring yougain a full understanding of the broadcasting and IPTV technologies you study, whilst givingyou an opportunity to understand what is involved in providing the very best service to ourcustomers.

Thank you!
You're welcome☺️
Reply 286
Original post by ADBracher
Pretty sure 25 is the age limit for an apprenticeship however I could be wrong. I've applied for the it and engineering apprenticeships and I've made it through to the assessment centres, just waiting on an invite

There's no age limit as it would be classed as age discrimination if there were.
Reply 287
Original post by Ashly1990
It could be that if SD is full then they know what else I would like to do. Or it could be that their testing to see if you want to do SD as that's what my assessment centre was for. Not sure but hopefully I'll hear soon as this wait is horrible

All of the Openreach apprentice centres are for any of the three roles, Service delivery, Infrastructure Delivery or Business and Corporate. Although you may be asked which you prefer this doesn't mean you'll be placed in that Division, it depends what vacancies there are in the area you live. There's no catch.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has it been two weeks since the call?

Nearly. I will wait until the end of the week then contact them.
Original post by adampage29
I attended an assessment centre in Ipswich on 22nd March for a higher IT apprenticeship. They told me I was successful at assessment centre but all vacancies had been filled by other candidates but if another suitable vacancy comes up they will be in touch.

I'm applying in IT for Ipswich. Did you get offered a place of is it still full?
Hey its been over 2 weeks since my BTFS assessment day in london but still haven't heard anything and on the job login page it says awaiting feedback from assessment centre, they said at the assessment day i would find out within 2 weeks, did anyone else have to wait longer than the 2 weeks to find out if they got the job?
Original post by taylor_vs
Hey its been over 2 weeks since my BTFS assessment day in london but still haven't heard anything and on the job login page it says awaiting feedback from assessment centre, they said at the assessment day i would find out within 2 weeks, did anyone else have to wait longer than the 2 weeks to find out if they got the job?

my job application still says "awaiting feedback from assessment centre". However, I did receive a call from HR to say that I passed the interview and I have been offered a position to start in September. Still awaiting the contract though. Have you tried ringing HR or emailing the person who emailed you the invite to the hub day?
my job application still says "awaiting feedback from assessment centre". However, I did receive a call from HR to say that I passed the interview and I have been offered a position to start in September. Still awaiting the contract though. Have you tried ringing HR or emailing the person who emailed you the invite to the hub day?

Thanks yeah i just emailed HR and they said I should find out by the end of next week :frown: They are taking forever
Reply 293
I was just wondering (this may sound stupid) does the contract get sent to you via email or post? I have been contacted by them (a week ago today) and said they should send one soon.
Original post by j-h02
I was just wondering (this may sound stupid) does the contract get sent to you via email or post? I have been contacted by them (a week ago today) and said they should send one soon.

a lady from HR said it would be electronic and I believe @jade.catherine has had hers sent electronically already.
Reply 295
a lady from HR said it would be electronic and I believe @jade.catherine has had hers sent electronically already.

Thankyou.
Original post by sophiesoda93
I'm applying in IT for Ipswich. Did you get offered a place of is it still full?

I haven't been offered anything yet :frown:
For anyone waiting for a contract to come through, I think I may have found the answer to as to why it is taking longer. Just received this from HR:-

My colleagues tell me that we have a backlog due to a salary increase for Apprentices. We hope to get your contract to you ASAP.
Reply 298
For anyone waiting for a contract to come through, I think I may have found the answer to as to why it is taking longer. Just received this from HR:-

My colleagues tell me that we have a backlog due to a salary increase for Apprentices. We hope to get your contract to you ASAP.

I know this sounds silly but what does "backlog" mean?
Original post by j-h02
I know this sounds silly but what does "backlog" mean?

an accumulation of uncompleted work or matters needing to be dealt with

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending