The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Hertfordshire Animation 2016 (2D, 3D, games, SFX)

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to make a thread for those who have applied to Hertfordshire for a 2016 animation course!

I'm applying for 2D animation & character design and i'm still waiting to hear if i've got a place. I just wanted to see if anyone has received an offer yet and what animation course they are applying for! Good luck! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

hey there! Ive applied for the visual effects in the animation department. Were suppose to be getting an interview! Have you heard anything yet?
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by KennyParker
hey there! Ive applied for the visual effects in the animation department. Were suppose to be getting an interview! Have you heard anything yet?

I already had an interview on the 9th of January - i still haven't heard anything from them yet. I'm guessing that there is a lot of people applying so they have to get through everyone before they start handing out offers! Good luck on your interview! :smile:

awesome! Please tell what the interview is like, im soooooo nervous :/ Plus what kinda stuff did you add to your portfolio?
Reply 4
awesome! Please tell what the interview is like, im soooooo nervous :/ Plus what kinda stuff did you add to your portfolio?

Don't worry! There is no need to be nervous, i had two interviewers and they were both really nice - it was more casual than my other interviews. Just try to be confident in your work and yourself and it will all go smoothly :smile:

They kind of just asked me the general questions than you would expect for an animation interview so there is need to worry. I Had mostly my A level stuff plus some life drawings and character designs in my portfolio. Maybe it would be a good idea to also show any digital stuff that you may have done relating to visual effects? Nevertheless, i'm sure you will do great!
Reply 5
Hiya!

Nice of you to start this thread, it's always good to know that you've got more people in the same boat as you. I've applied for 2D Animation as well and received an offer a few days ago- I'm sure yours will come through very soon! If you wanted to get to know a few more people before September (if you think Herts will be your first choice), you could join the Facebook group that I've made for all the 2016 Animation Freshers :smile: Here we go:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1522267304734515/ . It just gives you a chance to meet a few more people on the course (as we will be working alongside eachother for 3 years!).

Let us know when you get offers :biggrin:
Hi, I've got my interview on the 18th March for the 3D course. Panic mode has already been engaged!O.O, i was thinking of bringing with my a digital portfolio (via my usb). But im not completely sure how to arrange/portray it, nor how many art pieces i should include as ive got all of my work in there.

Any tips would be helpful , thanks
Reply 7
Original post by TheDboyAi
Hi, I've got my interview on the 18th March for the 3D course. Panic mode has already been engaged!O.O, i was thinking of bringing with my a digital portfolio (via my usb). But im not completely sure how to arrange/portray it, nor how many art pieces i should include as ive got all of my work in there.

Any tips would be helpful , thanks

Heya. Firstly- don't panic! The lecturers at Herts are wonderful, I felt very relaxed on my interview day (making it far easier to talk confidently about my work). As I'm applying for 2D I can only give you a few tips as not everything applies to you. You should have received/will receive an email which outlines what you should bring to the interview. A very important part is life drawing! Try and get as many done as you can so that you can pick the best from the bunch. It is best to focus on gesture and form, less on detail. I brought my work in an A2 portfolio with plastic wallets. I did also bring along a USB to show my digital 'showreel'. Include a mix of traditional art pieces (try to include colour), perspective studies (at least 2 point), some character designs and maybe a storyboard if you have time (I didn't). Those should be the foundations but if you're applying to 3D it is probably important to include some modelling (maybe mess around in the free trail of Maya and ZBrush).

I'd try to narrow it down to no more than 18 images/pages. It is far better to include less high quality work than more worse quality work :smile: Your interviewer might recommend an alternate route for you if he/she feels like you might be better suited to VFX, 2D or Games Art. A good place to get a feel for what you might need is having a scan around the UH Animation forums: www.3dhit.co.uk . Set up a thread there and ask the students for some advice, they were so helpful when it came to putting mine together :smile: (you might even be able to find my thread under the 2D section!)

Stay confident and good luck!!

If you'd like any more guidance/ tips about things I haven't covered feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by LisieMae
Heya. Firstly- don't panic! The lecturers at Herts are wonderful, I felt very relaxed on my interview day (making it far easier to talk confidently about my work). As I'm applying for 2D I can only give you a few tips as not everything applies to you. You should have received/will receive an email which outlines what you should bring to the interview. A very important part is life drawing! Try and get as many done as you can so that you can pick the best from the bunch. It is best to focus on gesture and form, less on detail. I brought my work in an A2 portfolio with plastic wallets. I did also bring along a USB to show my digital 'showreel'. Include a mix of traditional art pieces (try to include colour), perspective studies (at least 2 point), some character designs and maybe a storyboard if you have time (I didn't). Those should be the foundations but if you're applying to 3D it is probably important to include some modelling (maybe mess around in the free trail of Maya and ZBrush).

I'd try to narrow it down to no more than 18 images/pages. It is far better to include less high quality work than more worse quality work :smile: Your interviewer might recommend an alternate route for you if he/she feels like you might be better suited to VFX, 2D or Games Art. A good place to get a feel for what you might need is having a scan around the UH Animation forums: www.3dhit.co.uk . Set up a thread there and ask the students for some advice, they were so helpful when it came to putting mine together :smile: (you might even be able to find my thread under the 2D section!)

Stay confident and good luck!!

If you'd like any more guidance/ tips about things I haven't covered feel free to ask :smile:

Thanks for the reply, So im guessing your currently a student at Hertfordshire? How do you find the uni in general?
Reply 9
Original post by TheDboyAi
Thanks for the reply, So im guessing your currently a student at Hertfordshire? How do you find the uni in general?

You're very welcome! Haha nope, not quite yet :smile: I had my interview about 2 weeks ago.. I'm just an overly keen applicant! But I feel like I'm a little more clued up because I been a part of the forums (www.3dhit.co.uk) for a while now. It might be worth checking out some of those threads so you get an idea of the workloads etc. How's your portfolio coming along?
Reply 10
Hey guys, I'm applying for game art and just had my interview on Friday . Good luck on the interview! see you guys in September. :wink:
You're very welcome! Haha nope, not quite yet :smile: I had my interview about 2 weeks ago.. I'm just an overly keen applicant! But I feel like I'm a little more clued up because I been a part of the forums (www.3dhit.co.uk) for a while now. It might be worth checking out some of those threads so you get an idea of the workloads etc. How's your portfolio coming along?

Hi, yea my portfolio seems to be holding steady so far, I've got a handful of life-drawings, not to sure on the observational drawings (might need to do some more,) But I've also included some digital work I've done (including 2D character created on on Photoshop). I'm also thinking of putting on my ePortfiolio a academic essay which is related to the course I'm appliying for and to show them my written ability and stuff:smile:

But my interview is at 10am in the morning-_-( the later times were full) and I live quite a distant away from the uni, (I might have to go solo it to get there (if I cant get a lift from parents)
Reply 12
Hi everyone, I've applied for 2d animation at Hertfordshire. My interview is at 10:00 4th of March! Quite nervous, a question for those already had their interview, do the tutors go through your portfolio with you?
Original post by kqry
Hi everyone, I've applied for 2d animation at Hertfordshire. My interview is at 10:00 4th of March! Quite nervous, a question for those already had their interview, do the tutors go through your portfolio with you?

Heya! Oooo I might see you in September then, I'm another 2D applicant :smile: Honestly there is no need to be nervous, the lecturers are super nice and make you feel very relaxed at the interviews! There will be one person interviewing you in a room with other people being interviewed at the same time. My interview only took about 10 minutes and there were no tricky questions to answer, it felt more like a relaxed chat! Feel free to join the UH Animation freshers FB group if you fancy getting to know more people: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1522267304734515/?fref=ts

Good luck!!
Reply 14
Heya! Oooo I might see you in September then, I'm another 2D applicant :smile: Honestly there is no need to be nervous, the lecturers are super nice and make you feel very relaxed at the interviews! There will be one person interviewing you in a room with other people being interviewed at the same time. My interview only took about 10 minutes and there were no tricky questions to answer, it felt more like a relaxed chat! Feel free to join the UH Animation freshers FB group if you fancy getting to know more people: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1522267304734515/?fref=ts

Good luck!!

Thank you for the advice, did you get an offer?
Original post by kqry
Thank you for the advice, did you get an offer?

You're very welcome, I did end up getting an offer :biggrin:
Reply 16
You're very welcome, I did end up getting an offer :biggrin:

wow! Congrats! What did you put in your portfolio? sorry with all the questions, i really want to get into Herts!! ^.^
Thank you so much! I was over the moon :redface: Make sure you have everything they ask for- atleast 2 point perspective drawings, life drawing, character designs, environment designs etc. If you're reading this now and panicking, honestly, don't worry because you'll already have most of the things they need without knowing :smile: I can send you a link to my online portfolio which I used as a backup if my physical portfolio went missing (I travelled a long way so it was pretty likely haha). In my portfolio I also included a kinda unfinished 3D model I made on ZBrush (which you can get a free trial of). They seemed to be fairly impressed by the fact that I tried out new software that I wasn't familiar with, if you have time it might be worth having a play around on it :wink: I took along a memory card with a little video I put together of some painting timelapses I'd made as well as a few VERY simple animations I made on Flash. I guess everything you put in is unique to you but try to only put your strongest work in! A few months before my interview I made a thread on UH Animation's website (www.3Dhit.co.uk) asking for critique on my portfolio. If you have time it's well worth doing, the students there are super helpful! I'll send you a link to my thread as well. Hopefully all of this helps, you can only do your best and stay positive- everything will work out just fine! Feel free to ask any more questions if you have any :tongue:
Hi!

I'm an Italian student who got accepted into Games Art & Design! Nice to meet you all! :y
Has any of you already started looking for accomodation? Because I'm a tiny bit lost and I could use some advice. Thanks in advance!
Original post by LesClaypool
Hi!

I'm an Italian student who got accepted into Games Art & Design! Nice to meet you all! :y
Has any of you already started looking for accomodation? Because I'm a tiny bit lost and I could use some advice. Thanks in advance!

Heya there!! Congratulations on your offer- I'll be starting at the same time as you doing 2D animation :biggrin: We have a facebook group which you're more than welcome to join. We've also got a facebook group chat where everybody talks about things like accomodation & we get to know eachother! Here's a link to the group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1522267304734515/) and if you join that I'll add you to the chat! :biggrin: Look forward to getting to know you :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending