The Student Room Group

St Olave's Sixth Form Entry 2016

ive seen a *few* people posting around here talking about this school and ive been annoying a few who got in to it about details of the school and exam :tongue:
my letter came through the post today with all the information on it! im in the yellow group. did anyone else get theirs/anyone else applied??

Scroll to see replies

hey !!! i got my letter today too and im in the yellow group !!
Reply 2
Original post by ithinkitslily
hey !!! i got my letter today too and im in the yellow group !!

what subjects have you applied for?? and what candidate number were you? i wanna see how many people have applied roughly haha
Original post by asphyxiax
what subjects have you applied for?? and what candidate number were you? i wanna see how many people have applied roughly haha

i applied for maths, chemistry, history and french :smile:
i think im around the early 200s?
Reply 4
i applied for maths, chemistry, history and french :smile:
i think im around the early 200s?

im doing maths and chemistry too :h: i heard that the maths exam is really hard though. for chemistry, how much of the additional content are you revising??
I'm in Green Group, I was candidate number 399 or something?
I've applied to take English Lit, Classics, History and Religious Education.

The sheet they sent with the exam info felt really vague so I've checked out the other TSR threads about previous years exam and it seemed they elicited varied responses?
Most people did the sciences and maths so hopefully that will give me some kind of advantage, and they take more girls so again, an advantage.
Reply 6
Original post by tomriddle

The sheet they sent with the exam info felt really vague so I've checked out the other TSR threads about previous years exam and it seemed they elicited varied responses?
Most people did the sciences and maths so hopefully that will give me some kind of advantage, and they take more girls so again, an advantage.

by any chance, is your last name *hopefully* towards the end of the register usually?? the amount of people who apply is crazy :s-smilie:
im doing biology, chemistry, maths and art so i hope i can woo the art department so much that itll give me an advantage haha
and yeah i know!! the computer science literally had one sentence "guidance" :colonhash: if it helps, i emailed the head of RE (i was going to take it before) and he said that there would be 1 question on things you had learnt at GCSE and 2 questions on things that had never been seen before. i also read (and might have been told i cant remember) that the questions are like 24 marks each??
by any chance, is your last name *hopefully* towards the end of the register usually?? the amount of people who apply is crazy :s-smilie:
im doing biology, chemistry, maths and art so i hope i can woo the art department so much that itll give me an advantage haha
and yeah i know!! the computer science literally had one sentence "guidance" :colonhash: if it helps, i emailed the head of RE (i was going to take it before) and he said that there would be 1 question on things you had learnt at GCSE and 2 questions on things that had never been seen before. i also read (and might have been told i cant remember) that the questions are like 24 marks each??

My surname starts with an R, so its fairly towards the end?

Ooh, thank you, that is rather helpful. I also saw that and I'm rather worried considering I've never done a question with that many marks. I currently do Edexcel RE which consists of a 2 mark, 4 mark, 8 mark and a 6 mark so I have no idea how to answer a 24 mark!
Reply 8

Ooh, thank you, that is rather helpful. I also saw that and I'm rather worried considering I've never done a question with that many marks. I currently do Edexcel RE which consists of a 2 mark, 4 mark, 8 mark and a 6 mark so I have no idea how to answer a 24 mark!

i do aqa RE and the highest mark in a question is 6 so the 24 marks scared me away from RE haha, i think as long as you have perceptive thinking you should be fine (which you seem to have as youre taking all writing subjects :colonhash:)
i do aqa RE and the highest mark in a question is 6 so the 24 marks scared me away from RE haha, i think as long as you have perceptive thinking you should be fine (which you seem to have as youre taking all writing subjects :colonhash:)

Aw I see, so we would have been in the same boat had you picked RE! Oh well.. And I hope I have perceptive thinking otherwise I'll fail all of my subjects haha. I have no idea why I picked essay subjects but I just could not put myself through two more years of science hell.
im doing maths and chemistry too :h: i heard that the maths exam is really hard though. for chemistry, how much of the additional content are you revising??

yeah i read that the maths was really hard too :/
im just going through everything I've learnt haha (core + additional) but i don't really know what they'll ask because they have to make it accessible for all exam boards ???

have you heard anything about the history exam? i know they said it's about analysing sources and stuff but do you think there will be essay questions or ??
have you heard anything about the history exam? i know they said it's about analysing sources and stuff but do you think there will be essay questions or ??

I'm very unsure.. I read somewhere that a previous exam was on Vikings where I assume they were given several sources and they had to select relevant sources to argue their point through an essay, but like I said, I'm unsure..
Reply 13
what are you all thinking of wearing? it said "smart casual" but i have an interview with the art department so i dont want to look too casual i guess. my mum said not to wear jeans but i dont really have much else to wear lol

I'm in orange group too!! But I'm taking all science and maths... And my surname begins with F???... How have they arranged this?? :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
what are you all thinking of wearing? it said "smart casual" but i have an interview with the art department so i dont want to look too casual i guess. my mum said not to wear jeans but i dont really have much else to wear lol

I'm still undecided about what to wear but I think my general style matches the criteria so I might just dress normally and see what happens. A simple blouse with a skirt or trousers? Or just a dress?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edgerulezs
I'm in green group too!! But I'm taking all science and maths... And my surname begins with F???... How have they arranged this?? :s-smilie:

Maybe they did it in the order they received applications? I sent mine on the 30th/31st December so.. Or postcode? I'm not too sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Maybe they did it in the order they received applications? I send mine on the 30th/31st December so.. Or postcode? I'm not too sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I brought my applciation in on the last day... And my candidate number is in the 140s ?? Maybe it's just random xD
Reply 18
im beginning to really stress over the exam, i feel really unprepared all of a sudden :s-smilie: im excited about actually seeing the school in person, though, as i wasnt able to make it to the open evening :u:
im beginning to really stress over the exam, i feel really unprepared all of a sudden :s-smilie: im excited about actually seeing the school in person, though, as i wasnt able to make it to the open evening :u:

I don't really know what to be stressed about because there's not really any way I can prepare for the exams I'm taking, but then again, that's stressful in itself.

And I absolutely fell in love with the school building because it felt really modest but had an air of academia. The open evening was by far the most memorable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending