The Student Room Group

History and Economics at Oxford?

I am looking to apply to History and Economics to Oxford next year, but I was wondering why so little people (about 16) only get in. It says that the percentage of people that get in is 19% which is about 5 applicants per place, but I was wondering why not so many get in? I also wondered, what other unis offer it, because from what I see, they only seem to offer PPE/Politics and Economics.

Could you tell me if I were good enough to get in? I have Maths, Chemistry and History at A-Level and Physics AS, but also considering fast track economics or politics. If anyone on here is studying it then I would like to know what they think of the degree? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by clement345
I am looking to apply to History and Economics to Oxford next year, but I was wondering why so little people (about 16) only get in. It says that the percentage of people that get in is 19% which is about 5 applicants per place, but I was wondering why not so many get in? I also wondered, what other unis offer it, because from what I see, they only seem to offer PPE/Politics and Economics.

Could you tell me if I were good enough to get in? I have Maths, Chemistry and History at A-Level and Physics AS, but also considering fast track economics or politics. If anyone on here is studying it then I would like to know what they think of the degree? Thanks

Oxford will have decided how many students they want on the combined course which they appear to have set at around 16. As I remember it the year I was applying to university the success rate was even lower-around 13-15% and so people do self select for pure History which had a better chance or are interested in PPE.
I think the requirement for good Maths in a historian reduces the field a little. However I did Economics at Cambridge, always regarded as very mathematical and we had plenty of History papers, some shared with the History students. You have to read beyond the course title.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics

I am mystified that you think we can give you a chance of success beyond the applications stats you have from your A level subjects alone without any grades at A2, AS or GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending