The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

Arts University Interview?

I've recently been offered an interview at Falmouth (which is my top choice) to do Sustainable Product Design but I'm really unsure about what I'm meant to wear? People have said to wear a skirt and blouse but I think that might be too stuffy and formal for an Arts University? On the other hand it's a top university and I want to look like I'm making an effort... please help me!
I went to a design interview the other day at Goldsmiths, people were wearing a variety of clothes from suits to one guy who came in a sports hoodie and jeans. I wore a knitted jumper and black jeans. I'd say wear something smart-casual but it really doesn't matter - they will be focusing on your work not on you.
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Reply 2
Don't think it matters that much, something casual but formal at the same time maybe? My art teacher was saying how wearing your hair up can make you look more intellectual.

Where are you from? Falmouth is within my county so I'm thinking of going there to.

Good luck with your interview
Reply 3
I'm from Nottingham so Falmouth is a pretty long way but it looks really worth the 7 hour train journey.

I figured that I should attempt to find out what to wear considering I currently have pastel green hair and a bunch of piercings that I really cant afford to take out so I wasnt sure if I should go formal or not - thank you for the advice! It's been really helpful.
I've got an interview for falmouth too! It's this saturday and I'm leaving tomorrow morning so I've got to pack my clothes tonight. I'm probably just going to wear a jumper, culottes and a jacket, not too sure yet

I honestly don't think it matters too much what you wear. I had an interview at Kingston yesterday and most people there were just wearing normal, casual clothes (except from this one guy who was wearing a bright blue suit, haha, he was cool). Norwich uni said 'just don't look like you're going out clubbing'.

So basically just wear what you like, just nothing too risqué. It is an arts uni after all, and individuality is an important aspect of it :smile:
Original post by contradicta
I went to a design interview the other day at Goldsmiths, people were wearing a variety of clothes from suits to one guy who came in a sports hoodie and jeans. I wore a knitted jumper and black jeans. I'd say wear something smart-casual but it really doesn't matter - they will be focusing on your work not on you.

Hey, just browsing around and was wondering how it went for you? Im a second year in the same course :smile:
Original post by evarobinson
I've recently been offered an interview at Falmouth (which is my top choice) to do Sustainable Product Design but I'm really unsure about what I'm meant to wear? People have said to wear a skirt and blouse but I think that might be too stuffy and formal for an Arts University? On the other hand it's a top university and I want to look like I'm making an effort... please help me!

I know this is a very late comment, but I can't believe I'm reading this! Falmouth is a super friendly uni. They judge you on your portfolio, your personallity, and see the potential. Really, I walked in wearing torn up old jeans, and a t shirt. People sometimes tell me I look homeless.
It really doesn't matter what you wear to an interview. They look at your work, not a boring exterior you've laid out to them.
Nottingham is also a very long way. I wouln't want to make the trip to Nottingham, but hey, I'm Cornish born and bread, and I like it here.
Original post by NotPastyBaker
I know this is a very late comment, but I can't believe I'm reading this! Falmouth is a super friendly uni. They judge you on your portfolio, your personallity, and see the potential. Really, I walked in wearing torn up old jeans, and a t shirt. People sometimes tell me I look homeless.
It really doesn't matter what you wear to an interview. They look at your work, not a boring exterior you've laid out to them.
Nottingham is also a very long way. I wouln't want to make the trip to Nottingham, but hey, I'm Cornish born and bread, and I like it here.

Yeah they do which was great but I did go for a smart casual attire. This is because I felt a lot more comfortable if I was wearing it for an interview but also because I've worn smart casual to other universities where they expected a smart attire so why change it for Falmouth :smile: Luckily I got in and finished first year now haha

Quick Reply