The Student Room Group

Find the most beautiful university libraries you wish to study..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Do people ever get injured in them??

There's something very restful about that clip, it's a bit like the intro to a very arty Swedish movie about a serial killer in a library. :teehee:

There's at least 3 in UK universities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster (but yeah....the accidents on that page are not nice to read about).
one at the Arts Tower at the University of Sheffield said to be the largest in the world
one at the Albert Sloman Library at the University of Essex
one at the Attenborough Building at the University of Leicester

Why is it all universities that still have them?
Original post by The Arsonist
one at the Arts Tower at the University of Sheffield said to be the largest in the world
one at the Albert Sloman Library at the University of Essex
one at the Attenborough Building at the University of Leicester

Why is it all universities that still have them?

Probably because a lot of tall university buildings got put up in the 60s when they were most common.

Any blocks of flats or council run high rise buildings with paternosters would have had them replaced for safety reasons but universities aren't public buildings and so can get away with keeping hold of oddities for longer.
Original post by Student403
At Yale University... Holy crap this is awesome

Original post by The Arsonist
Can somebody explain this gloriousness to me? I don't understand why it's set up like this.

It's for rare books and manuscripts. The center contains them all in an air-tight sealed chamber. If they need to put out a fire, the doors will be closed and the chamber can be filled with a gas that will extinguish the flames (nitrogen?). Otherwise, it's at constant temperature and humidity.

The outside walls are solid marble but are just translucent enough to let in enough light to see without damaging the books.

It makes a cool space for a cocktail party.
(edited 8 years ago)
So many nice looking libraries. As a bookworm, this thread is a must have for me. Can't not say at the moment which library looks best. But I will pick my favorite.
Oh wow, these are amazing :love:
I love libraries....
Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 22.18.21.jpg

I was lucky enough to do my A level revision in Durham cathedral's library/monk's dormitory. Beautiful building, although the 900 year old cavity wall insulation wasn't up to much in the winter and having my photo taken by Harry Potter fans did get tiresome.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

Dublin Library- Ireland

So, have looked on all posted libraries in that thread, but in a way, this is my favorite. This library has a timeless interior decoration. would say it combines the modernity with past. I mean, this library has a (very) old touch but yet its not obsolete. This touch of history and transfer in presence is so amazing. Don't forget to mention the impression of hugeness when looking on picture. That is definetely my taste.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do people ever get injured in them??

There's something very restful about that clip, it's a bit like the intro to a very arty Swedish movie about a serial killer in a library. :teehee:

They are a health and safety nightmare on every level. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)

Royal Portuguese Reading Room, Rio de Janeiro.

Didn't expect much more from Brazilians.

Austrian National Library, Vienna.
Reply 52
Some have truly amazing looks but I doubt their actual functionality.
I personally could not sit and actually work in any of them
Original post by TeeEm

Probably quite loud and echoey and cold :beard: Maybe some of them have cosy reading rooms too
Reply 54
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Probably quite loud and echoey and cold :beard: Maybe some of them have cosy reading rooms too

They look like beautiful museums.
Big impressive libraries look great in pictures but as said are cold, noisy and draughty

If looking at a university, better to ask what the opening hours are.
Some are 12 hours a day with limited weekends

Others run 24/7 access

If you are actually studying then a recently built building that is open is a better bet than a stately home or film set that's inaccessible when you want it
Original post by TeeEm

Yes, definitely some of them are just things of beauty to be admired more than actual reading/studying places.

Anyone for a totally nerdish world tour of libraries?
Reply 57
Yes, definitely some of them are just things of beauty to be admired more than actual reading/studying places.

Anyone for a totally nerdish world tour of libraries?

agreed
Original post by TeeEm
agreed

We will start in Germany and fan out from there. :teehee: :excited:
We will start in Germany and fan out from there. :teehee: :excited:

This is how it started last time.

Quick Reply

Latest