The Student Room Group

whats your motivation to succeed at university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
Doctor of Philosophy.

It has always been my dream to research and contribute to the field of maths and now I am :smile:

What is your speciality research field in vector, just out of interest?

I have been given a generous studentship to Research into Computational Mechanics. The topic is Additive Manufacturing and I've only just started but possible aims are to use mathematical methods such as algorithms for predictive modelling of the printing process, this is to include some machine learning and probably multi-physics. Ironically enough this is not my area of strength but the group I wanted to do research for did not get any funding this year and I was impatient :smile:. My research strengths are in mathematical physics, fluid dynamics, complex systems and such, so who knows the research area may change direction and I may lean towards a more physics approach.

Outside of my PhD studies I am research into a link between number theory, combinatorics and linear algebra but it has so far been a dead end or rather I don't know half as much as I need to know to solve the problem, though I have found some interesting results.
Reply 21
Original post by ZeroVectorSystem
Welcome to my world :wink: You will be here sooner than you think.

ah haha what i mean is though what do the letters stand for

Doctor of Philosophy.
It has always been my dream to research and contribute to the field of maths and now I am :smile:

ooh of course!
urgh maths! glad ur doing it and not me!

Original post by Kam Brar
My motivation for uni is learning the skills for a good job but also opportunity to travel like I want. I'm studying business management at Newman University and when I get a good grade it motivates me do better the next time.

im doing business management too but at essex :smile:
and id love to travel too
What is your speciality research field in vector, just out of interest?

I have been given a generous studentship to Research into Computational Mechanics. The topic is Additive Manufacturing and I've only just started but possible aims are to use mathematical methods such as algorithms for predictive modelling of the printing process, this is to include some machine learning and probably multi-physics. Ironically enough this is not my area of strength but the group I wanted to do research for did not get any funding this year and I was impatient :smile:. My research strengths are in mathematical physics, fluid dynamics, complex systems and such, so who knows the research area may change direction and I may lean towards a more physics approach.

Outside of my PhD studies I am research into a link between number theory, combinatorics and linear algebra but it has so far been a dead end or rather I don't know half as much as I need to know to solve the problem, though I have found some interesting results.

Which college, and who is your supervisor? PM me if you like??
Being able to buy a home, a car, go on holiday, save up

These things can be achievable without a degree... but rather do a degree
To have a decent career, and enough money so that I can live off the fat of the land
My motivation to succeed is so that I won't have to keep spending years and years getting pushed further away from graduation. I've been at uni 4 years already but failed one exam, got kicked out and now I will have to spend at least another 3 years studying somewhere abroad (I'm not allowed to transfer to another uni in the UK) until I can graduate and start working. I want some independence, to be able to work abroad and get away from **** in the UK. Applying for different courses and getting rejected from everywhere despite having the grades and more experience than school-leavers has been a harsh reminder of the fact that if I don't continue with my course, my only career prospects will be unemployment or a minimum-wage job after years and years spent applying. If I don't finish this course, I can't go to work in my home city (London) after spending so long away and that will KILL me. My motivation to succeed at uni also includes the fact that my mum will finally stop ******** about how long I've spent studying and hopefully she might let me make my own decisions about where I work, what I do with my life etc. Once I have my own qualification and can find a job a bit more easily, hopefully my mum will stop giving me **** about how I'm forbidden to visit London at the weekends (I ignore her and go anyway) so I can go wherever I want. I miss my home city, I want to live there again and I want to have some sense of achievement by the time I get to nearly 10 years spent studying with nothing to show for it. So overall, many reasons why I'm motivated to succeed at uni. My whole life, livelihood and relationship with my mum is at stake here.
Reply 26
Original post by Nadile
My motivation is the only future I see as acceptable for me. I want a research career in physics and I do not see myself being happy with any other job. It's not a matter of not having a plan B or not knowing what else I could do, because there are a ton of other things I could do regardless of how well I do in my degree. However I will not accept a different career and for as long as I don't have it, whatever I do will be part of working towards that. That means of course that I need to do well now in my undergraduate, get a Masters afterwards and then a Phd.

strong stuff!!
good motive though
Original post by asif007
My motivation to succeed is so that I won't have to keep spending years and years getting pushed further away from graduation. I've been at uni 4 years already but failed one exam, got kicked out and now I will have to spend at least another 3 years studying somewhere abroad (I'm not allowed to transfer to another uni in the UK) until I can graduate and start working. I want some independence, to be able to work abroad and get away from **** in the UK. Applying for different courses and getting rejected from everywhere despite having the grades and more experience than school-leavers has been a harsh reminder of the fact that if I don't continue with my course, my only career prospects will be unemployment or a minimum-wage job after years and years spent applying. If I don't finish this course, I can't go to work in my home city (London) after spending so long away and that will KILL me. My motivation to succeed at uni also includes the fact that my mum will finally stop ******** about how long I've spent studying and hopefully she might let me make my own decisions about where I work, what I do with my life etc. Once I have my own qualification and can find a job a bit more easily, hopefully my mum will stop giving me **** about how I'm forbidden to visit London at the weekends (I ignore her and go anyway) so I can go wherever I want. I miss my home city, I want to live there again and I want to have some sense of achievement by the time I get to nearly 10 years spent studying with nothing to show for it. So overall, many reasons why I'm motivated to succeed at uni. My whole life, livelihood and relationship with my mum is at stake here.

What happened Asif, why did you get kicked out, and can't go back??
What happened Asif, why did you get kicked out, and can't go back??

As mentioned above, I failed an exam at the end of the year and wasn't allowed to resit as I was already repeating the year. Kicked out, not allowed to transfer to finish my course at another uni in the UK so have to go abroad. Could be somewhere nice, could be somewhere ****. Although anywhere is better than this **** uni city - I'm still living here as I have no home to go back to, and I ******* hate it. Can't wait to get away.

I PM'd you, ironically enough, I was going to apply for a PhD in statistical physics at derby, I'm sure ill get to where I want to go in the end, I always do :wink:
Original post by asif007
As mentioned above, I failed an exam at the end of the year and wasn't allowed to resit as I was already repeating the year. Kicked out, not allowed to transfer to finish my course at another uni in the UK so have to go abroad. Could be somewhere nice, could be somewhere ****. Although anywhere is better than this **** uni city - I'm still living here as I have no home to go back to, and I ******* hate it. Can't wait to get away.

I PM'd you, ironically enough, I was going to apply for a PhD in statistical physics at derby, I'm sure ill get to where I want to go in the end, I always do :wink:

Firstly vector: i'm sure in a different life i would be studying maths at oxford. or maybe not. i have replied to your pm thanks

and asif, oh im sorry about that. sounds like you had a raw hand. why did you fail the exam.resit? Was it all too much for you, or did you literally have a mitigating, such as medical problem, in which case there still may be room to appeal??
Original post by asif007

and asif, oh im sorry about that. sounds like you had a raw hand. why did you fail the exam.resit? Was it all too much for you, or did you literally have a mitigating, such as medical problem, in which case there still may be room to appeal??

Mate, I mentioned already about resits. They wouldn't let me. Done the whole appeal process with mitigating circumstances and the a-holes rejected it on principle that no one is allowed a third attempt at an exam. I don't think they even considered my appeal evidence and the university wouldn't support me to take the case further, so I gave up. Don't want to waste my life in this **** city any more so the best thing for me to do is move on. I may have to study for twice as long as I was originally supposed to, but at least I'll be away from here.
Original post by asif007
Mate, I mentioned already about resits. They wouldn't let me. Done the whole appeal process with mitigating circumstances and the a-holes rejected it on principle that no one is allowed a third attempt at an exam. I don't think they even considered my appeal evidence and the university wouldn't support me to take the case further, so I gave up. Don't want to waste my life in this **** city any more so the best thing for me to do is move on. I may have to study for twice as long as I was originally supposed to, but at least I'll be away from here.

okay good luck to you our kid. Wherever you go i'm sure you'll do well. If it's any consolation to you, i am 35 now, and have spent my entire life in education or hospital, so i know the feeling of not getting what you want right away. keep at it though?
okay good luck to you our kid. Wherever you go i'm sure you'll do well. If it's any consolation to you, i am 35 now, and have spent my entire life in education or hospital, so i know the feeling of not getting what you want right away. keep at it though?

Thank you for your supportive words. Yes it's just that I will take a lot longer to get to the end than my peers, but hopefully I will make a success of it. Sorry to hear about your own experiences but it's nice to know you've found a way to cope and move on with your life. I think I should learn some lessons from you! :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by shawtyb
think there the generic reasons :smile:

mine is because i want to actually amount to something and make something of my life.

What do you study?

Original post by Changing Skies
I want to succeed in my undergraduate so I can do a PhD and go into research :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Research" is a bit vague. :biggrin:
Original post by Josb
What do you study?

"Research" is a bit vague. :biggrin:

What was I supposed to say haha? :tongue:
I want to secure a training contract at a city firm.
Reply 37
What was I supposed to say haha? :tongue:

"Lecturer in [insert field]". Contrary to countries such as Germany or France, there are only a few full-time research positions in the UK - or other Anglo-Saxon countries. Unless you want to go in the private sector, but the number of jobs depends on your field.
Original post by Josb
"Lecturer in [insert field]". Contrary to countries such as Germany or France, there are only a few full-time research positions in the UK - or other Anglo-Saxon countries. Unless you want to go in the private sector, but the number of jobs depends on your field.

I don't actually want to lecture, though. I want to go into veterinary parasitology research.
Reply 39
I don't actually want to lecture, though. I want to go into veterinary parasitology research.

Yes, in medicine related fields, it may be possible to find a full time research job, but I suppose that veterinary is a highly competitive sector (you should therefore look for a plan B, but good luck anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending