The Student Room Group

what sort of salary can i expect at PwC working in technology?

i have been invited to an assessment center by PwC for a grad role in technology (data assurance to be exact). looking online, the pay looks awful (28-30K) however these figures that I'm finding are from older dates (2008-2011).

the role is really appealing - however, i have several other invites to AC's for companies that I know are paying 35-45K, making PwC pretty low on my priority list atm.

does anyone know what kind of pay I can expect from PwC? is it really as bad as 28-30K?

cheers
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can you give me a bit more context on the role? or a link to the role description (I cba to google and am at work) and I can probably give a bit of clarity
Reply 2
Original post by OPSthrowaway
Can you give me a bit more context on the role? or a link to the role description (I cba to google and am at work) and I can probably give a bit of clarity
hey, thanks for the reply.

http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/student/graduateopportunities/technology-data-analytics.html
Reply 3
Original post by MC booSack
the pay looks awful (28-30K)

That awkward moment when someone describes a £30,000 salary as awful :curious:

So from a skim read it seems to sit in the slightly awkward position of not being a traditional big 4 consulting role and not being a straight up assurance role. This means that in a data assurance position you might be doing either/supporting either area.

If it was consulting I think the big 4 starting salaries are at the 32k-ish mark at the moment. I believe assurance will probably be in the region of 5k lower circa 27-29 (happy to be corrected).

Given that, I'd imagine 28-30k is probably about the right ball park to be honest.
Reply 5
Original post by Reue
That awkward moment when someone describes a £30,000 salary as awful :curious:
man when you live in london 30K just doesn't cut it. after tax, national insurance, student loan, pension etc. you're barely left with anything.

i'm doing a pretty advanced masters in comp sci and really want to make it count. 28-30K is unacceptable, i need a minimum of 35K+ and i need to be on a 6 figure salary before im 30 so i can retire early and buy my own coffee shop in amsterdam.

So from a skim read it seems to sit in the slightly awkward position of not being a traditional big 4 consulting role and not being a straight up assurance role. This means that in a data assurance position you might be doing either/supporting either area.If it was consulting I think the big 4 starting salaries are at the 32k-ish mark at the moment. I believe assurance will probably be in the region of 5k lower circa 27-29 (happy to be corrected).Given that, I'd imagine 28-30k is probably about the right ball park to be honest.
ah ok. thanks for looking into it, much appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
man when you live in london 30K just doesn't cut it. after tax, national insurance, student loan, pension etc. you're barely left with anything.

i'm doing a pretty advanced masters in comp sci and really want to make it count. 28-30K is unacceptable, i need a minimum of 35K+ and i need to be on a 6 figure salary before im 30 so i can retire early and buy my own coffee shop in amsterdam.

I suspect, on the basis of probability, that you will be disappointed.

Then to be blunt, you shouldn't be looking at technology roles in the big 4, you should be looking at "actual" consultancy (big 4 or otherwise), or the finance sector
Original post by Reue

In fairness he has said that other competitors seem to be offering 35-45k for the same role.
Reply 9
Original post by Zerforax
In fairness he has said that other competitors seem to be offering 35-45k for the same role.

I was referring to the other objectives :wink:
Reply 10
Then to be blunt, you shouldn't be looking at technology roles in the big 4, you should be looking at "actual" consultancy (big 4 or otherwise), or the finance sector
the only big 4 firm i applied to was PwC after a friend told me i would be guaranteed 35K+ there. but yes, most of my applications / AC's are in the finance sector (which is why the 28-30K bracket isn't cutting it for me).

edit: actually in terms of consultancy, i'm at the final round interview stage for Accenture who I know pay 33K.

28-30K is slavery.
(edited 8 years ago)
the only big 4 firm i applied to was PwC after a friend told me i would be guaranteed 35K+ there. but yes, most of my applications / AC's are in the finance sector (which is why the 28-30K bracket isn't cutting it for me).

Your friend was most likely mistaken, i don't believe the big 4 offer any starting salary above 33k, for any roles.

At least they didn't several years ago, that may have changed now, but due to market I doubt it.
Reply 12
Original post by Reue
not all of us are satisfied working a 9-6 office job just to survive, lol. guarantee you i will have my own coffee shop in amsterdam, even if it takes 30 years from now. i will have more money than i know what to do with by that point.

you will be more than welcome to come for a free smoke (on the house), friend.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
not all of us are satisfied working a 9-6 office job just to survive, lol. guarantee you i will have my own coffee shop in amsterdam, even if it takes 30 years from now. i will have more money than i know what to do with by that point.

you will be more than welcome to come for a free smoke (on the house) when i achieve this goal.

Oh believe me, I'm probably the biggest supporter of early retirement on this forum by far. However from what you've said (struggling to live on 30k, needing to make 100k by age 30) it sounds like your expenses and salary predictions are both way too high to achieve any meaningful early retirement.

you will be more than welcome to come for a free smoke (on the house), friend.
You're only going to get that kind of money from IB, for anything else I'd give up expecting to get any more than 30k starting salary.
Reply 15
Original post by Reue
Oh believe me, I'm probably the biggest supporter of early retirement on this forum by far. However from what you've said (struggling to live on 30k, needing to make 100k by age 30) it sounds like your expenses and salary predictions are both way too high to achieve any meaningful early retirement.
my expenses are too high? how much of that 30K do you actually get to keep? less than half. that is maybe enough to get by in London if you're happy being a slave to society lol.

p.s. my brother is earning 65K + 15-30K bonus working and he's 26.

by 2025 i will be earning 100K like i predicted, and i will run both london and amsterdam looking like el chapo in his prime wearing 2 anacondas on his feet and cruising in a rolls-royce. you'll see.
Reply 16
my expenses are too high? how much of that 30K do you actually get to keep? less than half.

£21.7k with SL and 5% SS Pension.

that is maybe enough to get by in London if you're happy being a slave to society lol.

It's enough to get by anywhere in the UK and still have a good standard of living, London included.

p.s. my brother is earning 65K + 15-30K bonus working and he's 26.

Irrelevant. There's people far richer and far poorer than your brother at the same age. Unless his income is going to aid you achieving your desired income in any way then it is irrelevant what he earns.

by 2025 i will be earning 100K like i predicted, and i will run both london and amsterdam looking like el chapo in his prime wearing 2 anacondas on his feet and cruising in a rolls-royce. you'll see.

I suspect you wont, but good luck all the same.
Reply 17
Original post by Terry Tibbs
You're only going to get that kind of money from IB, for anything else I'd give up expecting to get any more than 30k starting salary.

negative.

i'm at the last stage (interview + presentation) for Capital One who are paying 37K + bonus. also final stage for The Hut who are paying 45-50K for a masters/PHD role. i also have a face-to-face interview with CHP consulting who are paying 40K for grad software developers. Fidelity also pay around the 37K mark and I have an AC with them.

i do have internships at IBs so maybe I'll apply as an associate after a few years.

Original post by Reue
£21.7k with SL and 5% SS Pension.
national insurance? tax? rent?

it's slavery, brother. for someone who wants to retire early you should be doing better than 30K. guarantee you there are similar roles to yours at other companies paying at least 10K more, you're just being lazy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Terry Tibbs

Erm... since when is IB the only job that pays 30k+ starting?

How did you manage 2 internships in IB if you're unable to get past the AC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending